First-time Subi owner

This is a discussion on First-time Subi owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; After two months of drool and anticipation, I picked it up late last week. This is my first Subaru, which ...

First-time Subi owner

After two months of drool and anticipation, I picked it up late last week. This is my first Subaru, which replaced a G35 coupe.

Alright...now what?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0099.jpg  
    Last edited by nath75; 10-26-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: add photo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

now you compare the two and let us know your impressions and comparisons of each! lol as well, let the modding begin!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

For starters, I can feel how much lighter the WRX is than the G...to the tune of about 700 lbs!!! Acceleration is smooth once the turbo spools and there's much less understeer than the G, though that thing could really punch you in the pants off the line.

Honestly, I missed my G for all of about the 5 seconds it took to drive out of the parking lot at the dealer.

Since the "m" word was brought up - what's the best way to start?

"the m word"

depends on your funds and goals. if moar power and a better pedal response is what you want first (is what i did) you should either get a stage 1 tune, or you could get the most bang for your buck and slap a turbo-back exhaust on there and get a stage 2 tune! your before and after power will feel like omfgwahahhawehareanghaah!!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

Also congrats on the WRX!
    Do you have any plans on tinting?
    The wagons/hatches look very hot with tint!
    2005 SPT WRX Wagon
    "Watch out boys, because girls love mods on a WRX too!"
    Blobeye Syndicate Member #009

Tint - check. Had it done this week. Going in for clear bra on Wednesday. Washington roads gave my poor G the business - lots of really, really bad sand/bug blast on the hood and roof so I'm going to nip that in the bud. I'll throw up some photos tomorrow when the sun comes up. Please forgive the dirtiness as my folks live at the end of a mile long limestone road in central TX.

Stereo - check. Installed a JL Clean Sweep and 7005 amp into a 10" Boston Acoustics sub. Wow, what a difference with the Clean Sweep alone, but with some nice bottom end...life is good.

please advise on your stereo setup...this will probably be one of the first things I do to my '11 when it comes in (hopefully this month). Did you do the install yourself? (I probably will not...I have no experience/expertise) Did you maintain your bluetooth/ipod capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolycooly View Post
    please advise on your stereo setup...this will probably be one of the first things I do to my '11 when it comes in (hopefully this month). Did you do the install yourself? (I probably will not...I have no experience/expertise) Did you maintain your bluetooth/ipod capabilities?
    I kept the factory head unit because I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of figuring out how to maintain the steering wheel function as well as blue tooth (although there are many aftermarket head units that have that feature). I used a device called a Clean Sweep by JL audio; basically it's a processor that enhances the signal path from the factory stereo unit and optimizes it for better sound quality (and it sure does that). It also allows for expansion with other amplifiers directly, so that you can upgrade speakers and add a sub, etc. It's great. I used the CS, and behind that I added a 1-channel amp that goes to a sub. The amp installation is straight-forward as any amp, but the CS is a bit of a pain (just really involved process, having to re-route the factory speaker wires). I just had them both installed locally at a shop since a) I'm on vacation and didn't want the hassle, and b) would have been a bit in over my head to do it myself.

Sound - I cut the low-pass filter at 120 Hz for the door speakers, and high-pass cut the sub at 160 Hz. The CS really tightens things up once the door speakers don't have to push a lot of bass and actually gain a lot of volume, so really it's like having a whole new stereo...amazing. If you don't want to mess with the head unit and keep things functional and simple, it's really a great solution. JL makes quality gear as well...really you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nath75 View Post
    I kept the factory head unit because I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of figuring out how to maintain the steering wheel function as well as blue tooth (although there are many aftermarket head units that have that feature). I used a device called a Clean Sweep by JL audio; basically it's a processor that enhances the signal path from the factory stereo unit and optimizes it for better sound quality (and it sure does that). It also allows for expansion with other amplifiers directly, so that you can upgrade speakers and add a sub, etc. It's great. I used the CS, and behind that I added a 1-channel amp that goes to a sub. The amp installation is straight-forward as any amp, but the CS is a bit of a pain (just really involved process, having to re-route the factory speaker wires). I just had them both installed locally at a shop since a) I'm on vacation and didn't want the hassle, and b) would have been a bit in over my head to do it myself.

Sound - I cut the low-pass filter at 120 Hz for the door speakers, and high-pass cut the sub at 160 Hz. The CS really tightens things up once the door speakers don't have to push a lot of bass and actually gain a lot of volume, so really it's like having a whole new stereo...amazing. If you don't want to mess with the head unit and keep things functional and simple, it's really a great solution. JL makes quality gear as well...really you can't go wrong.
    Sounds very appealing...losing factory bluetooth functionality is one of the reasons i'm hesitant. However, i've heard of a lot of people who ONLY upgraded their head unit and said the sound was drastically improved. Your route sounds pretty solid if it does indeed produce quality sound...I may be sending you a PM once my car comes in

Now...with tint!

Coming soon (i.e. later today)...Yakima kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0145.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Foolycooly View Post
    Sounds very appealing...losing factory bluetooth functionality is one of the reasons i'm hesitant. However, i've heard of a lot of people who ONLY upgraded their head unit and said the sound was drastically improved. Your route sounds pretty solid if it does indeed produce quality sound...I may be sending you a PM once my car comes in
    The factory stereo is sorely lacking, indeed. Either way, head unit or speaker upgrade or something more drastic...all will result in better sound. The stock setup is just weak. I'm really happy with the CS though.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Going in for clear bra on Wednesday. Washington roads gave my poor G the business - lots of really, really bad sand/bug blast on the hood and roof so I'm going to nip that in the bud.
    Welcome and congrats!

Please note that, in the past, dressing the WRX in a bra wasn't recommended as it induced air turbulence over the hoodscoop and reduced intercooler efficiency. Seeing as how the hoodscoop has seen a major redesign since those days, I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it is something of which to be aware.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Welcome and congrats!

Please note that, in the past, dressing the WRX in a bra wasn't recommended as it induced air turbulence over the hoodscoop and reduced intercooler efficiency. Seeing as how the hoodscoop has seen a major redesign since those days, I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it is something of which to be aware.
    Clear Shield causes a significant amount of turbulence? It's not a bra in the traditional sense, just the film applique.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Clear Shield causes a significant amount of turbulence? It's not a bra in the traditional sense, just the film applique.
    I was referring to the old-style leather bra. I doubt the film coating will cause you any issue
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/