Should I fix or trade in!?!?!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Should I fix or trade in!?!?!? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Brand new here, could barely figure out how to post this! Have 03 WRX wagon which needs new catalytic converters ...

Should I fix or trade in!?!?!?

Brand new here, could barely figure out how to post this! Have 03 WRX wagon which needs new catalytic converters (live in MA, must have for emissions). Car has 125K miles on it. Trusted mechanic is hesitant to have me spend the 1K and upwards on the repair. Advice needed! Thanks in advance for any responses. I know NOTHING about most of the things I am reading on here so please be gentle.
    Thank you,
    Katie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1K just for a catalytic converter repair?

does it make more sense if it is for 2?

I Support ClubWRX
    What exactly is wrong with the cats? How do you know there is something wrong with the cats?

Used exhaust parts are usually readily available, sourced either from ultra-talented drivers whose cars are now in wrecking yards, or "tUnErZ" who remove them. If you need an OEM exhaust, you don't have to buy new. Why do you need an exhaust though? It is not all that common for the cats to fail on a car that's so young.

What's the full story? We can almost certainly help with cheaper solutions but we need all details -- CELs, diagnostics done, modifications done, everything.

So, please post any/all information. Even from a distance I highly doubt you need two catalytic converters -- in essence a full factory exhaust from the turbo back -- to pass inspection unless they are missing or something odd happened. And hold on to the money until you get a third or fourth opinion, in my view.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    The price quote you got is reasonable for new factory cats. I'm guessing you're throwing a rear cat inefficiency code?

As SD_GR said, stock downpipes are readily available, and you can usually pick up both post-turbo cats for pretty cheap used if you shop around.

I don't know any local MA boards, but how far from the NY border are you? If you're willing to make the drive, I'm sure there are some people who'd be willing to sell theirs.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yeah I don't blame you for not wanting to drop $1k on brand new cats. As the others say, its pointless when used pieces will suffice just as well and be MUCH cheaper. 2 Cats in the turbo-back exhaust isn't necessary. One is all you need. Searching the Private classified forums around here and on Nasioc could yield you some results.

I'm wondering if the cat in the uppipe is also in question here? If so, this should be taken into account as the pre-turbo cat can cause issues in the long run. Many here consider swapping out the Uppipe for a catless aftermarket piece (or properly gutting the stock piece) to be more preventative maintenance as opposed to any kind of upgrade. This is because having a cat before the turbo increases the risk of catalyst material breaking out and being sucked into the turbo, thus causing the Kablooey effect on it (could destroy the turbo). Removing this cat shouldn't have any effect on emissions.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

take out the precat (the uppipe one)

do one of: swap for somebody's used exhaust, go stage 2, or just buy anti-foulers and do the mechanical CEL fix.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.