Sports car with a trunk
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Sports car with a trunk within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Howdy- I just joined the forums. I've been looking into getting a 2011 WRX STI Limited and just wanted to ...

Sports car with a trunk

Howdy-

I just joined the forums. I've been looking into getting a 2011 WRX STI Limited and just wanted to get some responses from owners on what they like about their cars and what they dislike.

My main thing is that I'm looking for a sports car with a trunk. I'm an active musician and mountain biker and need space for all my gear (I have lots of it). If I didn't need so much of a space for gear, I'd probably buy a late model BMW M Roadster or Lotus Elise.

Over the last year I've driven just about every sports car under $50,000 and have narrowed my search down to 4 or 5 cars.

1) There's the STI (of course). It was the first car I test drove and that was back in early February of 2010. I remember liking the car a whole lot. It felt great on the road, had storage room and had the different suspension settings. The dealer really let me have a go in the car and it's been at the top of my list ever since.

On the downside, I've heard that the stereo is crap, there's too much body roll and it never seems to be reviewed well in magazines. It always comes up a little short of the evo..

2) I drove the EVO, and didn't like it as much as the Subaru. I'm a big guy, I have enormous shoulders, a size 21 neck (I have to have dress shirts custom made to fit me) and I resemble a football linebacker. I found the Evo's seats a little too snug. They were great going around corners at speed, but I'm not sure if I could be comfortable in them every day. Also, the seats don't fold flat or have a passthrough for my gear. The gas millage isn't to great either. On the flip side, the car had great handling and was speedy. It is also reviewed well all the time in magazines.

3) Third is the base model Chevy Corvette. Unfortunately, When I drove it, it was equipped with an auto tranny, so I couldn't see if I liked the shifter. It too had bad seats. Its not that they were uncomfortable, but they had no bolsters. The car drove like a rocket ship and handled very well for such a wide car. It had more trunk space than you would immagine too. I also remember hitting a bump and the whole car rattled. It felt like I had been broadsided by a Semi-Truck. Also, The only way I could get a vette is if GM has another one of their Employee discount sales and I can get $10K off the sticker price.

4) Fourth is the GTI. It isn't in the same league as any of the other cars, but it was fun. I coud only imaging what the Golf R is like, but that's not comming to the USA until late 2012.

5) Lastly there's the BMW M3 (E90). I haven't driven it yet and the only way I could get it would be used. I drove the M5, the one with the V10 and know the power is there, but really cant spend a dime over $40K, so unfortunately I think it's out.

So basically what I'm asking is what current gen STI owners like and dislike about their cars and what led them to purchase an STI. Are there any dealers who charge under sticker or will give me a great deal?

A little about me- I'm a musician who buys and sells musical gear. I lead a pretty active lifestyle and am into outdoor adventure and extreme sports. I love to drive, but I'm not a racer and have no intention to become one. I drive very fast, I'm typically never past on the highway unless its some guy rocketing by me on a Suzuki Hayabussa. I think I know a lot about cars, but more in a sense of how they drive. I'm not a nuts and bolts car guy. I drive an 04' Acura RSX Type-S which I've beaten the snot out of over the last 7 years. I have never modded my car in any way besides wheels and tires. I want a new sports car I can beat the snot out of, but is has to be able to haul all my gear around.

Can any help or share their experiences with the current generation WRX STI? I'd really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Sandman; 10-20-2010 at 10:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good choice my man. I have an 08' hatch and i LOVE it. It has the most cargo space than any other hatch i have been in and it only weighs 3300lbs! The STI is quicker in the quarter mile than the EVO, as for the track it is pretty close and really depends on the drivers. The STI has an exponential amount of aftermarket parts that can make your Love, uniquely yours, the hatches have such nice asses as well! Actually I think the STI is better looking than the EVO all around, and INFINITELY BETTER sounding than the EVOs. So get you a STIzzy and put an Turbo Back Exhaust (TBE), a Short Air Intake (SAI) or a Cold Air Intake (CIA) and a tune, gain 50whp and a few miles to the gallon then sell the hell out of some instruments!
    STIzzy!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd go with the STi or a used M3 Sedan.

The STi hatch would have the most room for your instruments.. but I have had 0 problems loading my amp + 4 guitars + several other bags into my 06 sedan while I was moving a few months ago.

The M3 sedan is a gorgeous piece of engineering and is more of the "sports car" than the STi. If you're not planning on modifying the car... the used M3 won't lose much value in comparison to driving a new STi off of the lot.

If you're in an area that sees inclement weather quite often, then the STi is the clear cut choice. If you live in southern california, nevada, arizona, etc... where you won't see snow... then the M3 sedan is the way I'd go.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'd go with the STi or a used M3 Sedan.

The STi hatch would have the most room for your instruments.. but I have had 0 problems loading my amp + 4 guitars + several other bags into my 06 sedan while I was moving a few months ago.

The M3 sedan is a gorgeous piece of engineering and is more of the "sports car" than the STi. If you're not planning on modifying the car... the used M3 won't lose much value in comparison to driving a new STi off of the lot.

If you're in an area that sees inclement weather quite often, then the STi is the clear cut choice. If you live in southern california, nevada, arizona, etc... where you won't see snow... then the M3 sedan is the way I'd go.
    I'm a new Englander and a skier. It does snow up here. I could immagine doing donuts in both the STI and the M3.

I always put snow tires on my car from about mid november till april. So far I've only had one time where my acura had a problem going uphill in an ice storm. I got stuck and had to be nudged by a truck that was behind me. I don't know what a 400 bhp rear drive m3 would be like in the snow.

on the plus side for the STI, I believe it has a slightly faster top speed than the beamer. The m3 is limited to 155 and the new Subaru can do 158. The fastest I've ever done was 140 MPH in an S4 the other day.

RWD + snow = fail

I watched a 350Z last winter going 5mph down a snow-covered road with back wheels spinning and struggling to move. He had UT plates but I would imagine A/S tires at best. Naturally I cruised by in my Xterra. Anyways, I'd vote for an Evo IX since I think the Evo X is seriously ugly. I drove an STI and wasn't overlly impressed aside from the power, I drove a WRX immediately after and liked it considerably more

Save yourself 10k and buy a WRX, you'll be more than happy and have cash in your pocket. I drove the 2010 STI but couldn't stomach the sticker price so I ordered a 2011 WRX and I am happier than I think I would be with the STI and the additional $100+ per month in my pocket and lower insurance rates don't hurt either.

I agree with the later posts. I think a WRX would be a lot more practical for your lifestyle. The STi has it's features which are mostly track oriented, but you said it yourself, you're not a racer so these features probably wouldn't even be utilized to their potential.

Plus the WRX is a great platform to mod on, more so now that's inching closer and closer to the STi(although you won't ever hear subaru say this).

So I drove the New 2011 STI Limited and it feels a lot tighter than the 2010 model. I think, I'm going to end up buying the wagon. Now I just have to decide on the blue or red as the color. It's too bad they don't make orange or green or yellow

I am going to mod it a little. I want an in dash multi media screen (nav, xm radio, ipod controll, DVD) and not the one subaru offers. A Subwoofer and a Sunroof.

blue sti hatch ftw
    2011 WRX Hatch Black Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by REX2011 View Post
    blue sti hatch ftw
    That's what I'm thinking except it the most popular color for them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.