I just joined the forums. I've been looking into getting a 2011 WRX STI Limited and just wanted to get some responses from owners on what they like about their cars and what they dislike.
My main thing is that I'm looking for a sports car with a trunk. I'm an active musician and mountain biker and need space for all my gear (I have lots of it). If I didn't need so much of a space for gear, I'd probably buy a late model BMW M Roadster or Lotus Elise.
Over the last year I've driven just about every sports car under $50,000 and have narrowed my search down to 4 or 5 cars.
1) There's the STI (of course). It was the first car I test drove and that was back in early February of 2010. I remember liking the car a whole lot. It felt great on the road, had storage room and had the different suspension settings. The dealer really let me have a go in the car and it's been at the top of my list ever since.
On the downside, I've heard that the stereo is crap, there's too much body roll and it never seems to be reviewed well in magazines. It always comes up a little short of the evo..
2) I drove the EVO, and didn't like it as much as the Subaru. I'm a big guy, I have enormous shoulders, a size 21 neck (I have to have dress shirts custom made to fit me) and I resemble a football linebacker. I found the Evo's seats a little too snug. They were great going around corners at speed, but I'm not sure if I could be comfortable in them every day. Also, the seats don't fold flat or have a passthrough for my gear. The gas millage isn't to great either. On the flip side, the car had great handling and was speedy. It is also reviewed well all the time in magazines.
3) Third is the base model Chevy Corvette. Unfortunately, When I drove it, it was equipped with an auto tranny, so I couldn't see if I liked the shifter. It too had bad seats. Its not that they were uncomfortable, but they had no bolsters. The car drove like a rocket ship and handled very well for such a wide car. It had more trunk space than you would immagine too. I also remember hitting a bump and the whole car rattled. It felt like I had been broadsided by a Semi-Truck. Also, The only way I could get a vette is if GM has another one of their Employee discount sales and I can get $10K off the sticker price.
4) Fourth is the GTI. It isn't in the same league as any of the other cars, but it was fun. I coud only imaging what the Golf R is like, but that's not comming to the USA until late 2012.
5) Lastly there's the BMW M3 (E90). I haven't driven it yet and the only way I could get it would be used. I drove the M5, the one with the V10 and know the power is there, but really cant spend a dime over $40K, so unfortunately I think it's out.
So basically what I'm asking is what current gen STI owners like and dislike about their cars and what led them to purchase an STI. Are there any dealers who charge under sticker or will give me a great deal?
A little about me- I'm a musician who buys and sells musical gear. I lead a pretty active lifestyle and am into outdoor adventure and extreme sports. I love to drive, but I'm not a racer and have no intention to become one. I drive very fast, I'm typically never past on the highway unless its some guy rocketing by me on a Suzuki Hayabussa. I think I know a lot about cars, but more in a sense of how they drive. I'm not a nuts and bolts car guy. I drive an 04' Acura RSX Type-S which I've beaten the snot out of over the last 7 years. I have never modded my car in any way besides wheels and tires. I want a new sports car I can beat the snot out of, but is has to be able to haul all my gear around.
Can any help or share their experiences with the current generation WRX STI? I'd really appreciate it.