MOD ROOKIE
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on MOD ROOKIE within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; o.k I'am old to Subaru infact I owned a 87' RX way back in the days, I had an 02' ...

MOD ROOKIE

o.k I'am old to Subaru infact I owned a 87' RX way back in the days, I had an 02' but was forced to sell it fo personal reasons. long story short back in 09'. Well I would like to add a few mods but nothing crazy. I have been reading forums for awhile and I'am kind off getting lost. I would like to increase HP but nothing crazy. So what is the first thing I should do?

1. exaust ?? what is the best but not loudest, need a little growl

2. Air intake?? or just drop in a K&N quality filter?

3. what the hell is a tune? does Subaru do that?

sorry for the rookie questions but I do not want to blow anything up$$$$.
    Does anyone in MN know a good place to get info or Tech help?
    It is fast already I'am not looking for anything Fast and Furious.*********please help*****Thanks Rookie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome to the site. for an exhaust stay away from all fartcans. it's really best to hit up youtube and listen to them all. u won't feel any difference in power when adding a catback. an intake will not really net u anything as well but will cause u to hear the turbo spooling up and sucking in air which i think is a awesome sound. all up to u though. subaru does not do tunes most dealers are against that sort of thing. if u ever need warranty work done on any trans or engine components they could say well this car has been tuned or modified so theres no way we will warranty these parts. best to actually ask the dealer first before u do any tuning. the most basic mod for our cars with a really good bump in power would be going stage 2. it consists of a downpipe, catback and a tune. alot of people just buy the cobb accesport which reprograms the cars computer to run with the downpipe and catback safely.
    Last edited by silverautorex; 10-17-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: text

I've been running a drop in K&N for service reasons.. it wont net you any power increase.. maybe a mpg increase but the way I drive I've not seen any.

Intakes you'll have to tune for and the gains are minimal vs what you spend. Unless you're looking for stupid power the factory airbox/filter will work fine.

If the car is still in warranty at all and you alter the ecu in any way your dealer and soa can fight you on any warranty driveline work. This you will want to consider.

Stage 1 tune requires no physical modifications but will bump you a solid increase in power (chatter on the net is around 15% torque/10% hp) Stage II requires a downpipe and cat back or at very least a down pipe and free flowing axle back. It will bump you up to close to 300hp at the crank .. more than enough for any street car.

As for growl, cat backs can be had for a wide range of $$ .. I also agree with listening to anything you're going to buy and staying away from the fart can type. Remember too that axle back's are available and if you only want to change the sound they're about half the price of a full cat back.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Well have 16,000 miles on the car so I guess I will have to be tame for awhile, I will take any ideas or any help. So the Cobb tuner is somthing you just plug in and reprogram your car? I have time to study up but I want the power of the STI in 09 WRX. I will work on th inside Mods for now. Leds, Ipod, upgrade speakers, shifter knob. **********thanks fo the replys

yeah the accessport is just plug and play. connects right to your ob2 plug. it's better to read up on it over on cobb tunings website. u basically have a few maps to choose from depending on what u have done. u can still use it even if u have nothing done. that would be known as a stage 1 map which adds a little more power while smoothing out the powerband a little.

You can also get an open source tune instead of the AP. In most cases(at least around here) it's a lot cheaper route and still reaps the same benefits as long as the tuner knows what they're doing.

I had a "stage 1" OS tune for awhile. It's not going to push you back in your seat, but it does offer a smoother powerband, less jerkyness and minor bump in spool. Again, it's more of an improved drivability thing.

A turboback + tune would probably be more cost effective and fun.

Oh and in terms of quiet, Maddad, Stromung, Borla are common exhausts that fit in this category; catted of course.

26,000 and I 'am now ready for a few mods! I have been reading up and decided life is too short to wait to be moded! Here what I thinking
    1. Cobb AP tunner *****give it a few months
    2. Q300 cat backs*****run a stage two map and give it a few months
    3. work on shocks and springs/sway bars
    4. Invidia DP with stock air intake****not in a hurry for this one being at 26,000
    So I still go to the dealer for oil changes etc. Do I need to flash it back just for a simple servce call??? I have the 09 WRX with the date code of the bad engines but so far so good, But with a few mods I dont want to blow anything up. I just need a little help before I jump into this********** thanks D

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dolson1120 View Post
    26,000 and I 'am now ready for a few mods! I have been reading up and decided life is too short to wait to be moded! Here what I thinking
    1. Cobb AP tunner *****give it a few months
    2. Q300 cat backs*****run a stage two map and give it a few months
    3. work on shocks and springs/sway bars
    4. Invidia DP with stock air intake****not in a hurry for this one being at 26,000
    So I still go to the dealer for oil changes etc. Do I need to flash it back just for a simple servce call??? I have the 09 WRX with the date code of the bad engines but so far so good, But with a few mods I dont want to blow anything up. I just need a little help before I jump into this********** thanks D
    I wouldn't worry about flashing it back. If you have a local tuner in the area it's going to be better to go to them then waste the money on an AP...

You also cant run Stage 2 with just a catback. You need the DP to do that. So reverse 4 and 2. Also if you INSIST on buying new parts just get a CNT bellmouth DP...it't cheaper than the Invidia, Perrin, Cobb and name brands of the like and works just as well. I've been running one on my GFs 06 LGT and it's perfectly fine.

This site has great info but you still have to read the #@%^! SO I bought the cobb ap today!! I decided to go with a pro tune as well. my Subie is the 09 WRX with the 08/08 build date so I thought I would lay low a few more miles but stage one is on the way.So my question is I want to get the boxter growl without making a move on a down pipe, does anyone have the q300 catbacks exhaust on the stock down pipe? I have the sedan but I do not want it to be too load just a little loader than stock ones. And should i trust my tunner??? what questions should I ask them? how much stress does that put on a car? *********thanks for the feed backs *******D

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.