hey!

This is a discussion on hey! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey, im new with subarus, just got a 07 WRX about a month ago, great car btw! i live in ...

hey!

hey, im new with subarus, just got a 07 WRX about a month ago, great car btw! i live in Houston and im looking for advice when it comes to improving my WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome

What would you like to change? Also, what are you starting with (TR, standard, limited)? Any mods on the car already or was it stock?

Do tell us good sir
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    hey.

Read the stickies at the head of the forum sections.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Well it's a manual transmition, I just have the STP intake, been trying to find a shop in Houston that reflashes the ecu, ordered Cobb catback, should have it next week

Quote Originally Posted by ed1979 View Post
    Well it's a manual transmition, I just have the STP intake, been trying to find a shop in Houston that reflashes the ecu, ordered Cobb catback, should have it next week
    Welcome!

Good start...one thing you definitely want to think of is your overall goal for the car. Many things *should* follow a mod path so you get the most out of your car, without grenading anything or negatively impacting anything.

Do you do more than just daily drive it? Do you plan to track it or race at all (legally whether at the quarter mile strip, Auto-X, track, etc)?

Do you want to improve the power output? Do you want to really improve handling above all? Think about these things and that will get you on your way...then read the stickies
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

plan++. Figure out what your goal is, read over Unabomber's Manifesto, and do a lot of research into what parts to get when. ALWAYS put the health of your car ahead of a cheap power shortcut, and most of us will advise you to remember braking and handling, especially if you're going high-power.

Pretty much everyone will recommend stage 2 as some first steps - tbe and a tune. This is healthy, solid power gains, without too much power. From there, suspension, chassis stiffening (think strut braces) and braking mods (although stock brakes are pretty darn good, even on the wrx) are generally recommended. Some folks like transmission bushings, engine mounts, short shifters, etc. too - some say before, some say after. They won't improve power or handling, but will improve driver feel, which can improve times.

Yes, I did just try to fit about 8 months worth of my own research into a paragraph - do what you want, fully research it, and I would certainly suggest having a plan before you do anything.

Oh, and Welcome to the club! Please post some pictures of your car
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    Some folks like transmission bushings, engine mounts, short shifters, etc. too - some say before, some say after. They won't improve power or handling
    Motor mounts, transmission mounts, and subframe lockdown kits will improve power delivery to the wheels by limiting drivetrain losses (at the expense of greater NVH). That statement isn't ENTIRELY correct.

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    but will improve driver feel, which can improve times.
    To me, modifications that improve the way the car feels are the most important modifications of all
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ed1979 View Post
    been trying to find a shop in Houston that reflashes the ecu,
    There are none worth going to. All the good ones are further north or out west.