just got an 02 wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on just got an 02 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; well im pretty pumped. i just got an 02 with 89k on it. i wont get the car until friday ...

just got an 02 wrx

well im pretty pumped. i just got an 02 with 89k on it. i wont get the car until friday because it was bought at an auction in ny, im in michigan. its got a check engine light and the security light is flashing. so ive been doing some research on the security light and hopefully the check engine light isnt too serious. it drove good, just felt a little slugish, like cat is plugged possibly? is that a common problem? other than that the cars in pretty good shape. once the small problems are fixed im just plannin to do turbo back on it and the cobb ap stage two. also the up pipe. any other recomendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to a fellow Bugeye owner

I would have that CEL read ASAP. Do you know the history of the car? Any mods?

The flashing security light can likely be remedied quickly and easily. Simply hold down the "unlock" on the keyfob for 10 seconds. This will re-enable the security system.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

no mods that i know of. i havent seen the car in person yet. the car doesnt have a keyfob with it, just a single key. what will the dealer charge to get me one? not too sure on history, clean carfax two owner. thats about all i know.

zax
    My advice when you receive the car, take it or leave it:

Take the car to a trusted mechanic and...
    1. Have the CEL read
    2. Get a compression/leakdown test done
    3. A mechanic with a trained eye will be able to tell how extensively modified the car was in the past. Ask his/her opinion
    4. Immediately flush all fluids and replace, including oil, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, and coolant.

It is always a gamble purchasing a high-mileage car from an unknown source such as an auction, especially since so many Bugeyes are modified to some extent. Is there any service history on this car?

Facebook me here

yea i almost passed on the car but it was a GREAT deal. even if the check engine light is something major, which i dont think it is, ill still be ahead on the car. im not sure on the service history though. maybe there will be some evidence in the glove box hopefully. whats it take to do a compression test on these cars? is a plugged up cat somewhat usual on these cars with that kind of milage?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by chips View Post
    yea i almost passed on the car but it was a GREAT deal. even if the check engine light is something major, which i dont think it is, ill still be ahead on the car. im not sure on the service history though. maybe there will be some evidence in the glove box hopefully. whats it take to do a compression test on these cars? is a plugged up cat somewhat usual on these cars with that kind of milage?
    I highly doubt it's cat failure.

Facebook me here

o ok. any other common problems then? the guy who drove it said it ran good but didnt feel as powerful as it should be? he said he thought it felt like the cat was plugged?

zax
    Until we read that CEL, it's anyone's guess.

But... If I had to make a guess to save my life, I'd say the ECU is pulling boost to save the motor, possibly due to knock or something along those lines...

Facebook me here

well ill post some pictures and post an update once i get the car. am i on the right track doing the turbo back and upipe and the ap tuner? or should i do something differantly? whats the horse power numbers after this is done?

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome and congrats on the bugeye scooby
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

thanks. im excited to get it.

well i just got back from checking the car out and it is the hatch back, not the sedan.....not sure how that got missed. but after driving it seems to me like the turbo isnt working at all. it sounded like it had an aftermarket blow of valve but if the turbo wasnt working would i hear that? the car had some sort of a cold air intake, and i believe a short throw shifter on. it drove and shifted good, other than not having much power at all..after driving it i popped the hood and there was smoke coming from the turbo area and smelled like oil. the cars getting checked out tonight. i didn't really want the station wagon style but its a very good deal. what are your guys thoughts??

zax
    Blown turbo seal.

Facebook me here

thats what it seems like to me. whats the cost of fixing that? does it hurt anything else?

wow - I had just assumed that the flashing security light meant it was on - thanks for pointing that out to me (before I left it somewhere shady or something ).

I hope you get your problems fixed - it's certainly very important to get all your problems fixed before you start stressing everything more with new mods. Try to get everything back to stock, and do things like compression tests to make sure the engine is still healthy. If the car is tuned, get rid of the parts it's tuned for, and go back to a stock map.

And btw - when I was first looking, I basically "had to have" a sedan... until, one day, I realized how much the wagon was growing on me. You'll be happy you got the wagon, trust me! There's no loss of performance (it has added weight, but that's only 75 lbs - plus it helps balance out the front-back), it's more utilitarian, and there's the whole sleeper bit - not only did you just get beat by a 4-banger, you just got beat by a wagon

I hope you get all your issues fixed, and after that, I hope you have fun with your subaru! Welcome to the club!
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast