I am sad =[ - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on I am sad =[ within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by nibbles Oh I will make it a bit more clear =]. The clutch was pressed all the ...

Quote Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
    Oh I will make it a bit more clear =]. The clutch was pressed all the way down. Its just that when you shift into gears its a bit notchy so I didnt go all the way inside the 2nd gear. I let go of the clutch and grinddddddd =[!. After I heard the grind I jumped the clutch and started to cry on my way back home =[. I was around 4.5k rpm when I went into 2nd gear.

Also (off topic) any suggestions on brand of oil and oil filter? I saw on cars101 that the 2011 wrx's require synthetic now and was wondering which oil + oil filter people had good experience with =]].

Hey nibbles, congrats on your 11' JEALOUSSSS

As for the grind, it happens to new MT drivers like myself.

NEVER try to go into reverse while car is moving even SLIGHTLY. In your case I think you tried to shift the knob when it wasn't in correct placement, while OFF the clutch. It's happened to me once in a parking lot.

As for oil, dealerships use Mobil 1 Synthetic but I read on many Subie forums that there's MUCH better synth oil for the same price as Mobil 1. Penzzoil Ultra is good, Castrol synthetic also and Mobil 1 are all I've tried(5 quart jugs). Subaru dealerships have the OEM subaru oil filter($6.25), it's solid blue and comes with a silver seal ring. Looks like a circle key holder.

Oh and NEVER go to the dealerships to service. They charge 65+ All the oils I mentioned above + filter should run you $35. Then have your buddy help you change your oil.

If you don't have a lift or tools, go to a cheap service shop and have them do it for $10.

$65 + < $35 DIY or $45 Screw dealerships

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mista jc View Post
    Hell, I've been driving manual for 10+ years and yes, I still grind my gears on occasion... usually as a result of being extremely lazy in my shifts.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

You were going 4.5k in 1st gear. Dang dude take it easy or you are going to regret it. Get your car broken in before you start pushing it so hard.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    You were going 4.5k in 1st gear. Dang dude take it easy or you are going to regret it. Get your car broken in before you start pushing it so hard.
    First, the OP states he has 4200 miles on the car. So it is already well broken in.

Second, what is so wrong with 4500 revs in 1st gear? Even if he was still breaking the car in, that is only 500 over the recommended max.

He was not caning the car.

Thanks for the comfort I feel tons better knowing my car is still okay and that I will never make this mistake again!!!

I have been driving stick shift for a long time actually its just that the subaru gear box feels like u got to fight it to get it into gear. Thats why I grinded because I thought I was in gear when I actually wasn't in gear all the way. =\ (Used to drive a civic don't judge meee =[!!! I'm glad I am out of the honda scene >_<)

Maybe it is time to invest in shifter bushings? I hear they make your car shift feel soooo much better

Quote Originally Posted by mista jc View Post
    Hey nibbles, congrats on your 11' JEALOUSSSS

NEVER try to go into reverse while car is moving even SLIGHTLY. In your case I think you tried to shift the knob when it wasn't in correct placement, while OFF the clutch. It's happened to me once in a parking lot.

As for oil, dealerships use Mobil 1 Synthetic but I read on many Subie forums that there's MUCH better synth oil for the same price as Mobil 1. Penzzoil Ultra is good, Castrol synthetic also and Mobil 1 are all I've tried(5 quart jugs). Subaru dealerships have the OEM subaru oil filter($6.25), it's solid blue and comes with a silver seal ring. Looks like a circle key holder.

Oh and NEVER go to the dealerships to service. They charge 65+ All the oils I mentioned above + filter should run you $35. Then have your buddy help you change your oil.

If you don't have a lift or tools, go to a cheap service shop and have them do it for $10.

$65 + < $35 DIY or $45 Screw dealerships
    Thanks for the info!! I will try to look for some penzzoil ultra and if I am out of luck I'll just go with mobil 1.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
    Thanks for the comfort I feel tons better knowing my car is still okay and that I will never make this mistake again!!!

I have been driving stick shift for a long time actually its just that the subaru gear box feels like u got to fight it to get it into gear. Thats why I grinded because I thought I was in gear when I actually wasn't in gear all the way. =\ (Used to drive a civic don't judge meee =[!!! I'm glad I am out of the honda scene >_<)

Maybe it is time to invest in shifter bushings? I hear they make your car shift feel soooo much better
    yes. Shifter bushings and short shifter should remedy this. However, Subaru shifts never feel as crisp as they should...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Chader View Post
    First, the OP states he has 4200 miles on the car. So it is already well broken in.

Second, what is so wrong with 4500 revs in 1st gear? Even if he was still breaking the car in, that is only 500 over the recommended max.

He was not caning the car.
    Yeah I missed the part of the OP having >4k miles. I have read too many threads of newbies blowing their transmissions and then claiming that Subaru makes glass transmissions. Everyone misses a shift but do it to much or at high revs and your car is not going to be happy.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I haven't missed a shift in my 2011 yet...but I did try to throw her in reverse on a VERY slight roll once...no bueno.

But everyone here is correct...It's a mistake everyone makes and it's not the end of the world. You just don't want to be beating the hell out of her on a daily basis
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I love her to much to just stomp on the gas pedal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.