what grade oil goes into the transmission
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on what grade oil goes into the transmission within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; yo wuts up guys what grade oil goes into the transmission for a 2002 subaru wrx wagon 5 spd im ...

what grade oil goes into the transmission

yo wuts up guys what grade oil goes into the transmission for a 2002 subaru wrx wagon 5 spd im using 75w-90 idk if thts ok also what kind of oil goes into the motor meaning i use 5w-30 just want to know if thats ok both motor and transmission has 55xxx miles on it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The owner's manual states the correct grade and viscosity for both motor oil and gear oil. Either will be at least slightly affected by your location and the ambient temperatures typical for that location. Check the manual. My car sees very different climate conditions and probably different use patterns than yours, and for mine the manual states GL-5 (MT-1 is implied IMO) 75W-90 will work.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The owner's manual has a nice little chart for both those as to temperature vs. usable viscosity.

Gear oil pretty much is 75w-90. However, if you're up to it, I'd suggest the gear oil ****tail - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920674 . Grimmspeed (at least) sells all 4 quarts in a kit, so there's no searching. Mix together, only add what you need after draining overnight.

EDIT: what, I can't say ****tail here? man, good thing there's not a bartending thread in OT
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not use that mixture in my gearbox and cannot recommend it in good conscience.

There is an alcohol thread somewhere but it's mostly beer and wine stuff.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would not use that mixture in my gearbox and cannot recommend it in good conscience.
    any particular reason?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    There do not seem to be any data supporting its use, whereas what data are available seem to indicate stability problems, the originator of the mixture has generally not addressed criticism constructively, and the use of a mixture in and of itself seems to contradict the requirements of the gearbox manufacturer. Given that I think a better question mihjt be if there is a particular reason to use it.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    any particular reason?
    It degrades prematurely and corrodes your synchros.

OP stick with Subaru Extra-S.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.