Can't seem to wheelspin! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Can't seem to wheelspin! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm fairly certain that I could light up all 4 with the hybrid in the bugeye once. Once....

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm fairly certain that I could light up all 4 with the hybrid in the bugeye once.
    Once.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wearywanderer View Post
    That guy is driving GOD!
    It takes an entire day of shooting to get the 5 min of usable action shots used in the video.

Good? Yes.
    Great? Maybe?
    God? No. Not in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Answer is simple to the original question. Sell WRX. Buy STI. Notice DCCD button, engage. Lock all differentials. All wheels spin rather easily
    I have an easier and cheaper way...

buy jack stands, raise your car on 4 of them, get in, accelerate.

man, you won't move an *inch*, and your tires will just be spinning away!
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    It takes an entire day of shooting to get the 5 min of usable action shots used in the video.

Good? Yes.
    Great? Maybe?
    God? No. Not in the least.
    this
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wearywanderer View Post
    That guy is driving GOD!
    Very skilled, yes. I wouldn't classify him as divine though.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

7n7
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    I have an easier and cheaper way...

buy jack stands, raise your car on 4 of them, get in, accelerate.

man, you won't move an *inch*, and your tires will just be spinning away!
    Win

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Naaah! I'm pretty sure the trans would explode well before the axles broke. I was merely explaining how one would perfect a wheelspin in an AWD car. This is what he wants to do, I'll give him the tools to get it done
    lol, even MORE reassuring knowing that you won't break you're axles - you'll just nuke your trans

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    No. You are absolutely wrong. He is a decent driver, but nothing like classic rally drivers (i.e. Group B rally). He's a showboat and it simply doesn't go much deeper than that.

Now if you insisted Stig Blomqvist or Walter Rohrl are driving gods, I'd be inclined to agree. Put quite simply, Block is just not Scandinavian enough to be any good at driving a vehicle.
    I'd rank Roehrl the greatest in history for a variety of reasons. His colleagues don't seem to disagree too dramatically, lending at least some credibility to my stance.

The other tops: Markku Alen, Stig Blomqvist, Henri Toivonen, Hannu Mikkola, Timo Salonen, of course Ari Vatanen, and from the south, Miki Biasion, Sandro Munari, and Jeannot Ragnotti.

Ken who? Gym-kan-what?

Incidentally, since Roehrl is the best in history, it might be worthwhile for us all to reflect on his stance on things like, oh, say, "drifting" and thus also wheelspin... It's not flattering... And he's correct (he usually is now, isn't he?!).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-09-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Incidentally, since Roehrl is the best in history, it might be worthwhile for us all to reflect on his stance on things like, oh, say, "drifting" and thus also wheelspin... It's not flattering... And he's correct (he usually is now, isn't he?!).
    Let's define a new word, shall we?
    Practicalism - the act of placing practicality over showmanship

IMO, Rohrl was a "practicalist." Actually, I will further that statement by suggesting that most of the classic rally drivers were "practicalists." Rohrl, Blomqvist, Mouton, Alen, Ragnotti, et. al were all excellent examples of focused, driven, motorsports participants. A "practicalist" improves his/her driving ability by paying homage to the basics. That is, the "practicalist" focuses on the most simple way to achieve the obvious: win the rally championships.

Lately, it seems as though Block, Pastrana, and others have soiled the very soul of Rally by choosing "flash" over practicality. These individuals are not "practicalists" as they are not focusing on the simplest way to win rallies, but instead on how to garner the most attention. I believe this is due to the recent influx of X-games BMX bikers, Skateboarders, and adrenaline junkies in U.S. Rally motorsports. X-games sports are nothing more than flashy, daring stunts (as they must in order to capture the 30 second attention span of the average U.S. citizen). It is unfortunate, but American motorsport has followed in these footsteps.

Block is an impressive stunt man. He has honed his skills to present a circus-like entertainment to his fans. A driver, however, he is not. A true driver would not purposefully place his/her car in an uncontrolled spin just to receive praise when control is recovered. A true driver is a "practicalist."
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

I know comparing Nascar to WRC is blaspheme but I really enjoy nascar so too bad...

I would say Jimmie Johnson is basically a practicalist (nice word Zak) as well. He gets hated on regularly for being too bland, too boring, not cool-enough and for just plain winning too much. You practically never hear about him in controversies/spats with other drivers or about on track vendettas... All you typically hear about him is that he wins.. a lot. Also you hear about how he seems to find a way to win, to rise to whatever challenge he has faced to repeatedly win Nascar's premiere circuit, the Cup Series. He and his team have done it four times in a row and they are in first place vying for a fifth straight championship with only 8 races left. Only one other man in history has won more then two in a row and that was more then 30 years ago (Cale Yarborough won 3 in a row 1976,77,78).

What Jimmie and the 48 team have done is nothing short of amazing. Even if he doesn't win the championship this year, his current achievements are still amazing. If he should go on to win the fifth straight championship (which as I said he is on pace for) I may just run out of adjectives to describe it. The only thing I could think of to say about 5 in a row would be something along the lines of a dynastic sports achievement.

Edit: and btw JJ definitely knows how to spin the wheels when he wants. lol
    Last edited by TheJ; 10-09-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

I Support ClubWRX
    I've read Roehrl and I've read comments about him too, and from what I can work out he focused on flow and efficiency, keeping things calculated and measured. Every motion had a purpose and he put effort into actually minimizing what he'd do, to keep the car moving forward with as few turns and as little correction as possible.

He was amazing and my greatest regret is only having seen him in person on gravel (the local rallye growing up is, was, and will be the best WRC event in the world but over the years it's more and more gravel -- now exclusively so except the super special -- and I much preferred mixed events like the old-style San Remo; seeing what W.R. did there and whom he defeated in what with the ill-suited and bad-tempered S1 is just a hint of his abilities).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234