Coming from mazdaspeed 3 to 2011 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Coming from mazdaspeed 3 to 2011 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 2001 speed3 and just ordered a 2011 limited wrx last week in dark grey metallic...color was the ...

Coming from mazdaspeed 3 to 2011 WRX

I have a 2001 speed3 and just ordered a 2011 limited wrx last week in dark grey metallic...color was the hardest choice, hope I made a good one... But I wanted to ask I see factory lists torque at 244 yet cobb dyno'd a 2011 and it was 255 tq at the wheels stock..Is it like that with subaru or just awd...

Havein loved my speed3 I'm hoping this is as much fun. I'm going to put a short throw in right away since the stock shifter is god awful. Any suggestions on what brand? SPT or aftermarket? also I have a 6speed now..how is the 5speed, havent had that since my 97 maxima..gear box strong? Thanks, cant wait to get my car!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

I doubt that a stock WRX is 255tq to the wheels. Maybe after a tune + 3" exhaust. That being said, a dyno is primarily a tuning tool, and some dynos can read up to 10% difference.

You'll be reading a good portion about the gearboxes classically, WRX gearboxes have been, well, crap. Not much data on gearbox failures on 08+ WRXs, so that has to be a good sign.

EDIT: you mentioned coming from a 2001 mazdaspeed3. Typo? The speed3 wasn't produced until 2007, not even the Mazda3 was available until 2004.
    Last edited by zax; 10-04-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

oops..

ya i meant 2007. my bad. hopefully this gearbox is better, kept reading they upgraded it in 08 or 09...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, Subaru has updated the WRX gearbox periodically since its introduction to the USDM. The biggest change was in 2003 when the WRX received RA gear widths (1mm wider than previous year) simply because reckless owners kept shattering 2002 WRX gearboxes. AWD launches FTL. Still, that being said, I would not launch your 2011 WRX from 5000 RPM or install a very stiff clutch. AWD routes all that torque to the ground instantly, and if you just let it go all at once, it has to go somewhere (and not necessarily to help the car go forward lol).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

short throw

clutch seems like its ok...should i get spt short throw or kartboy?

Quote Originally Posted by mesarec View Post
    I have a 2001 speed3 and just ordered a 2011 limited wrx last week in dark grey metallic...color was the hardest choice, hope I made a good one... But I wanted to ask I see factory lists torque at 244 yet cobb dyno'd a 2011 and it was 255 tq at the wheels stock..Is it like that with subaru or just awd...

Havein loved my speed3 I'm hoping this is as much fun. I'm going to put a short throw in right away since the stock shifter is god awful. Any suggestions on what brand? SPT or aftermarket? also I have a 6speed now..how is the 5speed, havent had that since my 97 maxima..gear box strong? Thanks, cant wait to get my car!!
    Did you get your 2011 WRX yet? I got mine in black, which is awesome, but I saw the grey at the dealer and it looked sweet (I even second guessed my decision). Just curious if you got the Subaru short throw or an aftermarket one. Also, how does it compare to the Mazda?

Quote Originally Posted by mesarec View Post
    clutch seems like its ok...should i get spt short throw or kartboy?
    I think most find the spt short throw overpriced. What is it, like $600+ installed? I went for a short shifter on my '09 and it is a huge improvement and for a bit of $100 is well worth it. Also, replacing that squishy rubber bushing is just as important as the shifter.

I havent gotten it yet, still on order until at least the end of the month. I'm probably going to get the kartboy shifter mainly because my friend has that in his '10 and it feels real good. not sure how the subaru's is.. I'm looking forward to AWD for the new england winters..and springs...since we seem to get snow all the way to april.
    My MS3 has treated me awesome just ready to go back to a sedan and have a couple extras i dont have now including awd. Plus I keep seeing MS3's can have engine issues with all the torque they produce..I dunno, I keep telling myself its the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I think most find the spt short throw overpriced. What is it, like $600+ installed? I went for a short shifter on my '09 and it is a huge improvement and for a bit of $100 is well worth it. Also, replacing that squishy rubber bushing is just as important as the shifter.
    $250.00 installed when i ordered my 2011.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    $250.00 installed when i ordered my 2011.
    OP already ordered his car so he'd get hit with installation costs. Dealer quoted me somewhere around $600 when I bought my car. I laughed at them.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCE79 View Post
    Did you get your 2011 WRX yet? I got mine in black, which is awesome, but I saw the grey at the dealer and it looked sweet (I even second guessed my decision). Just curious if you got the Subaru short throw or an aftermarket one. Also, how does it compare to the Mazda?
    It's been almost 2 weeks since I got my 2011 hatch back with SPT short throw shifter, and I came from Mazda RX8 (2008 GT). The WRX, even with the SPT short shifter, is still not quite as good as the shifter in the RX8. The throws are still quite long, and feels rubbery from time to time. The first and fifth are the hardest gears, where on the RX8 all the gears were super crisp, and the shifter always feels like being "sucked" into the slot.

On the other hand, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears feel very nice. The throw distance is very good (very close, if not better than the one on RX8).
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    OP already ordered his car so he'd get hit with installation costs. Dealer quoted me somewhere around $600 when I bought my car. I laughed at them.
    I would have too
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

does it make any difference on the tranny which one you put in? Or did I just ask one of the dumbest questions ever.....

Are you asking whether the shifter affects the performance of the transmission?

The short answer is no...it only changes the way (or really the distance) the driver moves the shifter. Different bushings will also change the feel of the shifter.

But, regardless of the shifter, the gear ratios are the same and the transmission works in exactly the same way. Some (or most) drivers just prefer moving the shifter a shorter distance to change gears.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Thank you for only making me feel slightly stupid...

How are the WRX 5 speeds. Is it "slower" meaning more lag because not always in the power band than a 6 speed. or the same once you figure it out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.