BUYING - 2009 or 2011?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

This is a discussion on BUYING - 2009 or 2011? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off - I'm 29. I've loved the WRX since they came stateside - now I'm ready to buy one. ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Clovis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    57

    BUYING - 2009 or 2011?

    First off - I'm 29.

    I've loved the WRX since they came stateside - now I'm ready to buy one. Just the regular WRX, not the STI all though the sedan looks sick and I actually like the wing.

    I've been looking primarily at 2009s due to the increase in HP and car depreceation. Nationally I've found a few for around $21k with under 20k miles.

    Locally I can get one with 17k from a local dealer ship for around $23k

    However, another dealership list brand new 2011 WRXs with a few upgrades for $25k -- so only a $2k difference for used versus brand new?

    What do you think?

    Get the new one or continue to be patient and try to nab a 2009 sedan for around $20k? How much of a price drop will we see come January 2011?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,738
    I Support ClubWRX
    Buying a used performance vehicle is always a gamble. If there was only a $2K difference, I'd buy new to know the way the car was treated/maintained its entire life.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #3
    Registered User NW OBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    'Baja Oregon'
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Buying a used performance vehicle is always a gamble. If there was only a $2K difference, I'd buy new to know the way the car was treated/maintained its entire life.
    What ^^^ he said! +1
    "Atheism is a 'non-prophet' organization." ~ George Carlin

  5. #4
    Registered User Trunkmonkey56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    233
    There are upgrades to the 11 that would justify 3 grand in my eyes. Wider wheel base, bigger lighter rims that look better, and a stiffer subframe to name a few. the body kit also looks better. I would not buy the 09 or any previous year unless I couldn't afford the 11 especially since adding those upgrades would cost more then 2 grand

  6. #5
    Registered User anxiouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    597
    I actually wanted to find a used 09+ WRX but couldn't find any deals. Being able to get a brand new '11 for <$25k vs people asking $23k for their used ones didn't make any sense to me. Especially since Subaru has some nice financing deals that my bank wouldn't be able to match.

    But the '11 updates all sold me on it. I love the widebody look, the gunmetal wheels, and even the quad-tip exhaust. When I see the older hatches they don't excite me as much.

    So I ordered a new '11 WRX hatch and couldn't be more pleased with that decision. I got it under invoice so compared to the used car market it's real easy to lean towards a new car.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

  7. #6
    Registered User Clovis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    57
    Thanks for the advise guys and confirming what I was thinking.

    If anyone else thinks otherwise, please speak up I wold love to hear your opinions as well.

    -Clovis

  8. #7
    Registered User anxiouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    597
    From what I've seen the 11's are in really high demand (just look at all of us waiting for our orders). So until there are a bunch of 11's just sitting on dealer lots, I don't expect to see too many deals on older models. That's all they have to sell right now if you think about it.

    I'll just add that one of the biggest factors for me was being able to get the 2.9% finance rate on the new one. That made a big difference + having full use of the warranty was nice just in case.

    Oh, btw, I'm 35 and have been driving Evo's for a few years. I was looking at the 08+ STI and 10 Evo X but then realized the 09+ WRX would be just fine and save me a ton of money. Then the 11 more agressive styling came out and I was instantly sold. And I'm saving like $8k over the other two cars which is nothing to sneeze at.

    I think the 11 WRX is the best bargain on the market right now!
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

  9. #8
    Registered User A265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in a igloo
    Posts
    765
    If you're financing, hands down get the new car. Chances are you'll have the same or lower payments since the interest is so much better on a new car.

  10. #9
    Registered User Chader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    I'll just add that one of the biggest factors for me was being able to get the 2.9% finance rate on the new one. That made a big difference + having full use of the warranty was nice just in case.
    I totally agree. I got the 2.9 today and saved a lot compared to what was available through my bank.

    Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    Oh, btw, I'm 35 and have been driving Evo's for a few years. I was looking at the 08+ STI and 10 Evo X but then realized the 09+ WRX would be just fine and save me a ton of money. Then the 11 more agressive styling came out and I was instantly sold. And I'm saving like $8k over the other two cars which is nothing to sneeze at.

    I think the 11 WRX is the best bargain on the market right now!
    In many ways I would like the STi, but it seems hard to justify for me.

  11. #10
    Registered User Clovis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    57

    Update

    I'll let you know how it works out.

    I'm basically trying to get a WRX out the door for $26k flat -- with $3k down this gives a payment of $350/mo and insurance is another $100/mo for the car.

    A bit easier to swollow then my current $0/mo car that is paid off, but 11 years old now and $45/mo insurance.

    -Clovis

  12. #11
    Registered User jd92677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    I'll let you know how it works out.

    I'm basically trying to get a WRX out the door for $26k flat -- with $3k down this gives a payment of $350/mo and insurance is another $100/mo for the car.

    A bit easier to swollow then my current $0/mo car that is paid off, but 11 years old now and $45/mo insurance.

    -Clovis
    That price shouldn't be too hard to get, shop around and go prepared

  13. #12
    Registered User Clovis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    57
    Just to be clear, 26k is out the door price which essentially translates to 24k plus the 380 handling.

    I'd like to get a short throw shifter in the deal.

    That's part of the mystery of car buying, you never really know how low they'll go.

    -clovis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •