2002 wrx or 2004???

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx or 2004??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am new to the sube world and im debating on getting an 02 or an 04 i dont know ...

2002 wrx or 2004???

I am new to the sube world and im debating on getting an 02 or an 04 i dont know thou both are sick and dope looking, question is is one really better than other if both were bone stock??i heard that the 02 has AA tranny and the 04 has a BA which is a little better is this rumor true or what????help i need to decide

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The early 02's had the AA transmission which was known to be defective... they are esentually the same car just different styling...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if both are completely stock- get the newest, lowest mileage one that all maintenance records.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

yeah i heard the tranny was wack on the 02. the 04 is just too dope once you set it up right..

OK kiddos I have to say that the sock 02 transmission is not defective. My stock transmission has almost 100k miles on it. People just don't have any self control and abuse their cars and then blame Subaru.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Whatever you do, don't put 100k on a 2002 transmission, with a hybrid 18g engine and a mild driving style...big problems.
    Oh wait, no it's not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

The AA transmission has slightly thinner gears (or smth like that) - the transmission in the 03+ can take a bit more abuse without quitting - keywords being a bit and abuse.

Both will easily take 300-350HP if you are not stupid at driving. Both will break at stock HP if you're stupid at driving.

Otherwise, assuming all things (all stock, mileage, previous owner abuse, etc.) equal, pick which one you like better - some people like the blobeye look, others are bugeye fans (bugeyes look better IMO, but blobeyes have an easier time getting STi parts since they don't have to import).

Take a look at my thread (in my sig), check both cars out fully to make sure neither has a problem, then pick based on preference.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit