Super short review: From 2008 RX8 to 2011 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Super short review: From 2008 RX8 to 2011 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, This afternoon I just picked up my DGM 5-door 2011 WRX Premium, and I spent just a few ...

Smile Super short review: From 2008 RX8 to 2011 WRX

Hi all,

This afternoon I just picked up my DGM 5-door 2011 WRX Premium, and I spent just a few hours behind the wheels of the car. So far it's been pretty nice! But I thought it might be interesting for some of you to see a super short comparison between my previous ride, 2008 RX8 GT and this shiny new 2011 WRX hatch. I'll for sure post more details as I go with the new car...

1. Handling.
    I know the WRX has pretty decent (although not top-notch) sport suspension setup, and I've heard a lot of good things about it on this forum (and on NASIOC, too). But compared to RX8, it has a LONG WAY to go. The car just doesn't feel tight enough. Not just the stiffness part (which is actually on par with RX8), but also the steering wheel accuracy. The steering wheel on the RX8 is much heavier and much more accurate, so even super tiny movements on the steering wheel can be felt on the car. And on the WRX, it feels like a ford truck (of course it's much better than that, but it's just a comparison), where the steering wheel isn't as sensitive. It's not THAT bad, but it's definitely noticeable. As a result, going in and out of corners in the WRX does not provide me with the same level of confidence as I had with the 8.

Transmission-wise, the switch to WRX is a step backward. Although the WRX has the STI short throw shifter, it's nowhere near that on the RX8. The throw is still too long, and the feeling of changing gears is not crystal clear. I've learnt that the gears get better over time in the WRX, so I'll just wait and see.

2. Power.
    To be honest, I haven't been able to test out the full potential of the WRX power yet --- since it only has 60 miles on it. I'll have to patiently wait until the break-in period is (at least almost) over before I can draw a conclusion. But the power is definitely plentiful. At the range of 4k - 5k I can feel the power of the turbo significantly, and it's very enjoyable! At this range, I think the power is similar to what RX 8 has from 4k - 6k. But RX8, on the other hand, has a much wider power band (redlining at 9.5k!) so the acceleration could be very smooth and powerful (and I do miss that!). But again, I'm still in the break-in period. So I'm sure I'll get to learn the incredible torque that this H4 has.

3. Interior
    A lot of people have commented on the interior of WRX's, and most of them were complaining about the cheap materials used. But I found the interior quality to be pretty decent, definitely on par (if not better designed) than the RX8. Sound system is definitely not as good as the BOSE in the RX8, but everything else (bluetooth connectivity, voice control, USB, MPG display, etc) is very nicely done. And I do like this interior a lot. I do like the (non-leather) seats a lot, as I didn't like them too much in my RX8. The leather seats tend to get too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

4. Everything else
    The space is definitely great. There was literally no trunk space in the 8, so WRX wins totally in the practicality department. And the four doors plus full-sized seats are definitely a nice upgrade. Even the front seats feel larger and more comfortable as well! Also, I love the exterior design of the car. The 08-10 model years were not so good, but this time Subaru definitely got it done in the right way. I had to turn my head back several times when I left it on the parking lot.

To summarize, there are pros and cons in my switch, and generally I'm very happy about this change. All right, this is pretty much it so far! This post was meant to be short, and I guess it's already getting too long. ;-) Anyways, I'll keep posting my other observations later on as I get more used to the car.

If there's any question, please feel free to ask. :-)
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How far had you driven the Mazda, and how was overall reliability during that time?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I had a 2004 GT and switched to a 2010 WRX. I have the same feelings that you do about the two cars. The handling definitely is not up to par with the 8, however, once you get past the break in period the power is a nice addition (not quite on the top in, but the bottom end and mid-range is very nice!). The gas mileage (considering you stay out of the redline once in awhile) is WAY better!

I do miss the 8 sometimes (a lot sometimes) but the WRX is worth wait. Hope you enjoy!
    2010 -White Pearl
    Factory STi Short Throw (Dealer installed)

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    How far had you driven the Mazda, and how was overall reliability during that time?
    I live pretty close to where I work, so it only has about 24000 miles as of now. I do go road trips every two to three months.

Reliability has been excellent! There has been nothing wrong whatsoever.
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by nc.wiles View Post
    ... once you get past the break in period the power is a nice addition (not quite on the top in, but the bottom end and mid-range is very nice!). The gas mileage (considering you stay out of the redline once in awhile) is WAY better!
    Oh definitely, I'm sure the power is going to be very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to it! And yes, the fuel efficiency is for sure one BIG plus over the 8!
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

Here's some more comparison...

[ Exhaust and Engine Sound ]
    First off, I am getting used to and starting to like the sound from the quad-tip exhaust! BUT - I still miss the RX8 roar, which is much more motor-sports-like. It has more in the higher frequency range, and when it's revved to, let's say, 4k-8k, it sounded totally astonishing, in a super good way. On the other hand, the BOXER engine has its famous rumbling sound and is more on the low frequency range. The engine has a very deep sound and is much louder than the 8 even when it's idling.

To my surprise, the engine sound from inside is minimal in the WRX, while the rotary makes at least twice as loud in side. I was guessing that this might be due to a better sound insulation that the WRX has? Wrong. In fact, the road/tire noise on the WRX (still inside) is much louder than the 8. So I would guess it must be due to the engine placement (the RX8 is really close to a mid-engine car).
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.