Battery?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

This is a discussion on Battery? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, What is a good battery for a Subaru Impreza WRX 2008? Something reliable & affordable. Any help would be ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5

    Battery?

    Hello,

    What is a good battery for a Subaru Impreza WRX 2008? Something reliable & affordable.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    aeyr
    aeyr

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User poly_poly-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rochester Institvte of Technorcery
    Posts
    1,223
    #1: why do you need a battery so soon?

    #2: subaru genuine batteries are, of course, the option subaru would like you to use, so you might as well.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

    My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

  4. #3
    Registered User t-time's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    #2: subaru genuine batteries are, of course, the option subaru would like you to use, so you might as well.

    F-That ... get an optima

  5. #4
    Registered User sjcurtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Selma, Alabama
    Posts
    850
    My 08 STI had a bad battery and the dealer would not replace it because it would take a charge but about three days later it would die. I even had advanced auto and auto zone check it and both places said it was a bad battery. I just went and got a Optima yellow top battery and have not had the problem again even with the extra electronics I am running in the car now. It was about $200 and it look better.

  6. #5
    Registered User benson156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    331
    I have the Optima red top and love it. That's what I'd recommend.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

  7. #6
    Registered User economatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    My 08 STI had a bad battery and the dealer would not replace it because it would take a charge but about three days later it would die. I even had advanced auto and auto zone check it and both places said it was a bad battery. I just went and got a Optima yellow top battery and have not had the problem again even with the extra electronics I am running in the car now. It was about $200 and it look better.
    I also went with a yellow top. My car has large parasitic draw that the dealer claims is in spec so I had problems when the car would be parked for a couple weeks. Dealership replaced the battery and three weeks later I had another dead battery. Installed a yellow top and no problems since.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5
    thanks for all the info,

    i dunno have 71k miles, the battery is not pushing out the recommened power and it looks like i will have to replace it sometime soon.

    how long do batteries typically last?
    aeyr

  9. #8
    z21
    z21 is offline
    Registered User z21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern WA
    Posts
    1
    The only brand new red top optima I have ever bought is still going great after 4 years, in the past I have also picked up reconditioned red tops through Interstate Batteries for like $50 and I have always gotten at least 3 years out of those.

  10. #9
    Registered User jd92677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by z21 View Post
    The only brand new red top optima I have ever bought is still going great after 4 years, in the past I have also picked up reconditioned red tops through Interstate Batteries for like $50 and I have always gotten at least 3 years out of those.
    I had an optima red top in my Nissan Maxima with a killer stereo for 2 years, transferred it to my Subaru legacy in 2004 with a less killer but still pretty demanding stereo. I sold that car last year with the battery in it, still going strong after 8 years. When my factory battery is done, no doubt going to the red top.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •