Potential new owner please help

This is a discussion on Potential new owner please help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, i currently drive a 97 bmw m3 with a few mods but im looking at trading for a ...

Potential new owner please help

Hey all, i currently drive a 97 bmw m3 with a few mods but im looking at trading for a 2002 wrx.My main question is how does it feel driving wise.I can stomp it in 2nd in my m3 and it throws my head back and takes off and i can hang a corner doing 80 or 90 easy with no worries(i do have coilovers though).I love the power it has but ive always wanted a wrx.How is the maintenance cost for a wrx?Are they really as bulletproof as people make them out to be?It would be great if someone here has driven an m3 to be able to really compare but any advice is appreciated.Just tell me the pros and cons of a wrx
    Also it has 120,000 miles and hes asking just under 7k for it and its a limited sedan if that any different from a normal sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by M3NTAL
    My main question is how does it feel driving wise.I can stomp it in 2nd in my m3 and it throws my head back and takes off and i can hang a corner doing 80 or 90 easy with no worries(i do have coilovers though).I love the power it has but ive always wanted a wrx.
    That's a subjective question. My car feels "slow" to me. The only way to answer your question is to drive one yourself.

How is the maintenance cost for a wrx?
    Should be cheaper than the BMW, but it's not as cheap as a typical economy car.

Are they really as bulletproof as people make them out to be?
    If the car hasn't been beaten on its whole life and gotten properly maintained, there's no reason it won't last a long time. There are quite a few 150K+ cars rolling around without any major issues.

Have the car looked over by someone knowledgeable about them, including a compression and leakdown test before purchase.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by M3NTAL View Post
    My main question is how does it feel driving wise.
    Drive at least two different cars and see what you think.

(i do have coilovers though).
    Then comparisons aren't really feasible.

How is the maintenance cost for a wrx?
    Authentic parts are generally imported and so are expensive.

Are they really as bulletproof as people make them out to be?
    Probably not. Even if time has been kind to the cars, owners generally have not.

It would be great if someone here has driven an m3 to be able to really compare but any advice is appreciated.
    I don't think anyone, anywhere has driven a 1997 M3 - there "aren't any" because in my view the car is really much more of a "M330CSi" in feel and character, at least stock. Given that statement my perspective should be much clearer to you though.

The WRX is less of a touring car than the M3, more of a flying taxi. Upright and nose heavy, it bounces on its bars and might be more interesting with less traction but not as effective. Low gears are quite short, so the car gets out of tight bends well enough, but high gears tend to be too long - the car is geared for the salt flats not the real world. The biggest asset is traction, followed by suspension travel, particularly in the rear.

Just tell me the pros and cons of a wrx
    The greatest con is previous owners. The second greatest con is the use of unauthorized, imitation or "aftermarket" parts. On the other hand it's a very smart and practical car and very easy to live with in any weather under any conditions - and there are models without big wings to attract attention etc.

Also it has 120,000 miles and hes asking just under 7k for it
    Buy a stock, single owner car, ideally not from an "enthusiast," and ideally with a full service history -- after having a Subaru mechanic look it over.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok thanks ive been reading around on the forum and it seems that after any mod you have to retune the car.Is that so for everything and by tune is there a program to do so at home or need to take to a shop to do so.This would be my first turbo car ive always had built n/a set ups and what is the typical mileage life of a well taken care of wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by M3NTAL View Post
    ok thanks ive been reading around on the forum and it seems that after any mod you have to retune the car.Is that so for everything
    No.

and by tune is there a program to do so at home or need to take to a shop to do so.
    Either is possible. DIY is very popular because the costs are lower and it's more interesting to get involved for some people.

BTW, there was no limited offered in 2002 in the US as far as I can work out.

Check out the sticky threads in the Purchasing forum first, then look at the stickies in the other fora too and see what you think.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you can budget it, see if you can find one with as low mileage as humanly possible. Depending on how long you plan on driving it, see if you can find one with 30-50k miles (they exist) Having been around them for years I can comfortably say I would never in my life buy a turbo Impreza with over 100k miles on it. They are simply not reliable enough.