04 wrx - 1st mod!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 wrx - 1st mod! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Greetings! Just wanted to pop in and say hay! I picked up an 04 wrx about a month and a ...

04 wrx - 1st mod!

Greetings! Just wanted to pop in and say hay! I picked up an 04 wrx about a month and a half ago (totally new to Subies) and been havin a blast. Just installed an AP v2 and have a few gauges to install next! Basically just wanted to pass along a BIG thank you to everyone here - been doing a ton of reading on this site in hopes of sidestepping some newbie mistakes. This is a great forum with a ridiculous amount of info that anyone new to Subies would be retarded not to take the time to read! IMHO. Anyway, Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    welcome!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site

If it's not already done, be sure to get rid of the uppipe cat.

What gauges did you get?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hey Guys,

Have a Perrin Uppipe sitting in the garage - I'm not only new to Subie's, but new to modding in general - so I'm doing mucho reading/printing/rereading before starting anything!

As for the gauges - I have a boost and EGT so far - thinking of a steering column mount. (Omori, by the way) Always open to suggestions for others! Thanks

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersius View Post
    Hey Guys,

Have a Perrin Uppipe sitting in the garage - I'm not only new to Subie's, but new to modding in general - so I'm doing mucho reading/printing/rereading before starting anything!
    Given the circumstance, I would suggest contracting a mechanic (or a mechanically inclined friend) to perform the UP install. You could do the work yourself, just be prepared to have your car up on blocks for a while if anything goes awry (something will).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club!

The up pipe install can be a bear. The suggestion above it a great idea.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome,and good luck with your wagon.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Welcom! Good to hear, boost guage is def a must, mine came stock w/o but too care of that quick, my bro got me the a pillar guage pod w/ 3 set up w/ oil temp boost and a/f ,(mind you need a wideband o2 sens to read a/f correctly) but i love the spot they are in, another good spopt is where the clock is there are a couple places ya can go for thoes, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-20018 , summit is usually quite cheap and always back ya up! , i had a buddy that pu his on steering colum and found that it got in they way alot, maybe just how he had it set but w/ the tilt steering and view of other guages he ended up gettin the a pillar as well, its right in sight and not to goddy like thoes 5" tach's that most hondas get but its always a personal preferance of what looks best to you

Thanks guys!

While I'm definately new to modding - I do have some wrench time, just on much bigger toys! My old man was a farmer at heart (though not by trade) so there were many winters playing with old machinery. If you need to transform a 1967 JD Combine into an operational field sprayer (why? - don't ask) or rebuild a carb on an internation 1086 - I'm your guy. However, I never got into messin' with cars much for some reason? Probably just didn't want the down time, I guess.

Anywho - while not completely foriegn to me - I'm still hesitant to tear into the car for the first time. But again, I have to say, the fantastic posts and tutorials on this site have me itchin' to try. Have a few buddies to help out too!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersius View Post
    Anywho - while not completely foriegn to me - I'm still hesitant to tear into the car for the first time. But again, I have to say, the fantastic posts and tutorials on this site have me itchin' to try. Have a few buddies to help out too!
    You will surely want help with the up pipe. It is a must do mod.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I recently gutted my up-pipe which is more or less the same process as installing an aftermarket one. I did it by my self for the most part and just had my dad hold the UP studs in the turbo and thread the nuts on so I could get everything else lined up. Also, buy some extra bolts and nuts just in case. I had to cut one of mine and get the hardware after the fact which made it a huge pain.

Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to find much for "qualified" help out here in the sticks - but I think I found some help!

On a side note - and probably cause for a different thread - the car's coming up on 100,000 miles - are there any of the maintinence issues that would make sense to takle at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by KnightFury View Post
    Welcom! Good to hear, boost guage is def a must, mine came stock w/o but too care of that quick, my bro got me the a pillar guage pod w/ 3 set up w/ oil temp boost and a/f ,(mind you need a wideband o2 sens to read a/f correctly) but i love the spot they are in, another good spopt is where the clock is there are a couple places ya can go for thoes, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-20018 , summit is usually quite cheap and always back ya up! , i had a buddy that pu his on steering colum and found that it got in they way alot, maybe just how he had it set but w/ the tilt steering and view of other guages he ended up gettin the a pillar as well, its right in sight and not to goddy like thoes 5" tach's that most hondas get but its always a personal preferance of what looks best to you
    Good point about the tilt steering, hadn't heard/read that before. I do like the clock location as a second choice - just never liked the pillar - don't know why!? Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersius
    On a side note - and probably cause for a different thread - the car's coming up on 100,000 miles - are there any of the maintinence issues that would make sense to takle at the same time?
    Do you have a service history of the car?

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/mai...edule2004.html

That's a link to the maintenance schedule for your car. If you don't have a history, look at the 105K interval and replace all fluids.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

EJ257 - Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately no - I don't have any sort of detail maininance records for the car. Pretty tough to tell. Is there anything in particular to be looking out for - or is it best just to get started/keep going with the regular schedule.

ps - I was off a bit - the car had about 85,000 when I bought it - has about 89,xxx now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.