New member, so many questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New member, so many questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey I'm new to this forum. My name's Justin, and I'm from Oregon. I'm looking at getting into my first ...

New member, so many questions

Hey I'm new to this forum. My name's Justin, and I'm from Oregon. I'm looking at getting into my first WRX. I need advice, stories, tips, anything on what the best options and routes are. I'm only 20 years old, working part time at the moment, so I'm looking at used models thru private sellers, and dealers. I have a '97 Jetta GT for sale/trade in, and a 2009 Yamaha YZ250 for sale as well, so that's basically what I'm working with as far as a down payment goes.

As far as which model to go with, I really do like the hatches, but probably won't have the dough for one just yet. Is going with the STi worth the money, or is it a bit more maintenance? Keep in mind, this is my first nice car I'll be going for. I've raced motocross for many years, so I'm in transition mode, and I'm really in uncharted waters here.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks alot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

STI off the bat isn't wise. Working part time + maintenance + car insurance + whatever the hell else u have to budget for...probably gonna stress you out. Plus, even 04 STIs are still holding for like $15k.
    Bugeye Mafia #155

Friends don't let friends drive stock.
    Racing a neon is like fighting a girl: you can't brag about it if you win, and you don't want anyone to know if you lose.
    facebook

welcome, plenty of info on this forum along with friendly people. my advice is DO NOT buy a subaru that has already been modded and yes the sti is worth it (from 04-07 anyway) personal opinion.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the Club!

Take your time to learn what is best for you and your situation. There is a lot of great information here.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by silverautorex View Post
    welcome, plenty of info on this forum along with friendly people. my advice is DO NOT buy a subaru that has already been modded and yes the sti is worth it (from 04-07 anyway) personal opinion.
    Thanks you guys. I will definitely not buy anything modded or too new. And I had similar thoughts on the STi, as far as maintenance and what not go. I'll probably try to shoot for an '04-'07 WRX just to get into the game. As much as I'd love to have a brand new STi hatch, it's just not realistic.

Thanks again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwat381 View Post
    Thanks you guys. I will definitely not buy anything modded or too new. And I had similar thoughts on the STi, as far as maintenance and what not go. I'll probably try to shoot for an '04-'07 WRX just to get into the game. As much as I'd love to have a brand new STi hatch, it's just not realistic.

Thanks again.
    The 2004 WRX is plenty of car. Enjoy the site.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Hey there I am also new to this site but not my bug eye, Good to hear your gettin a subie, im also here in oregon and with our weather there isnt a better choice, STI yes has alot of thoes ohh and awww's but the 2.0 wrx isnt anything to laugh at especially after even mild mods, ive heard diff. things about the STi as far as price wise, pmts and ins ect. depending on where your at check out FTWtuning.com, Andy the owner = really good guy i bought mine from him and a couple of my buddies as well , alll he does is sell and tune em, he'll set ya straight and prob at a price that will make ya wanna kiss someone , i havent been as happy w/ any of my other cars than i am w/ this!!! Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnightFury View Post
    Hey there I am also new to this site but not my bug eye, Good to hear your gettin a subie, im also here in oregon and with our weather there isnt a better choice, STI yes has alot of thoes ohh and awww's but the 2.0 wrx isnt anything to laugh at especially after even mild mods, ive heard diff. things about the STi as far as price wise, pmts and ins ect. depending on where your at check out FTWtuning.com, Andy the owner = really good guy i bought mine from him and a couple of my buddies as well , alll he does is sell and tune em, he'll set ya straight and prob at a price that will make ya wanna kiss someone , i havent been as happy w/ any of my other cars than i am w/ this!!! Good luck!!!
    Thanks!! That's the exact type of info I'm looking for. First priority right now is trying to get the Yamaha sold, which is proving to be a little tougher than I had expected. But the bike market is terrible, so I'm sure I'll struggle with that for a little while longer.

Another question. Did you guys all trade in other cars to get a hold of your Soob-A-Roo's? The '97 Jetta I have is fully paid for.

na i didnt trade in anything, i got a loan and started searching for cars, was never thqt into subaru until i did some research.. needless to say my prev. car was a pathfinder after buyin my sub i was so pleased i simply gave my other car away! (to my sister mind you) but yes just gave it away and never looked back lol

Quote Originally Posted by KnightFury View Post
    na i didnt trade in anything, i got a loan and started searching for cars, was never thqt into subaru until i did some research.. needless to say my prev. car was a pathfinder after buyin my sub i was so pleased i simply gave my other car away! (to my sister mind you) but yes just gave it away and never looked back lol
    Cool, good to know. Because the Jetta is kind of my dad's car that I've been lucky enough to drive for the past couple years. He agreed to let me trade it in if I gave up motocross, but no need to get rid of such a nice car that's paid off.

So excuse my blissful ignorance, but what is the run down on some different models? Sti vs Regular? I keep seeing a 2.5i listed at pretty reasonable prices, but don't know the difference?

If I did go the STi route, what type of maintenance would I be looking at? I've never worked on a car, but that's not to say I wouldn't like to get my hands dirty. So what's the best route for that fine line of performance/badassness vs. maintenance time and cost?

Thanks all so much for the info, I'm really getting excited about my future ride to be!

well as far as body style its pretty much same from 02-07 except the front ends, imo bugeye is the way to go that the earlier models 02-03, ya will notcie suttle differences going up in years, as far as performance the STi having the larger turbo 6th gear stronger block and lotta other features the standard wrx doesnt, i have wrx and wish i would of gotten a sti but out of my price at the time, now w/ all the mods i have im pulling hard on my buddies slightly modded sti , they are super easy to work on and not to exspensive especially w/ this forum, im in salem and not to many of us rollin around up here so they are definately noticed and lotta cred given, if price is an issue i would def go w? wrx, its strong and simple, although STI has more hp and little more leeway as far as what route to go w/ performance , all engine management is basicly the same. like i said its a personal preferance but either way ya wont be disapointed. btw what area of oregon ya in??

Quote Originally Posted by Jwat381 View Post
    So excuse my blissful ignorance, but what is the run down on some different models? Sti vs Regular? I keep seeing a 2.5i listed at pretty reasonable prices, but don't know the difference?
    First, welcome! I'm a new member as well, just bought myself a 2004 WRX Limited, and I'm sure you'll be just as happy with a soob as I am!

There are lots of differences between the 2.5i and a WRX or STi. The 2.5 is the only one without a turbocharged engine and is the "base model" Impreza, with the WRX in the middle, and STi's at the top. Theres really a huge difference between a 2.5 and WRX, but I wouldn't be the one to give you specifics.

Im curious where in Oregon your located? I'm in Eugene, I noticed KnightFury is in Salem as well and I can vouch for his tip on FTWTuning. I've visited a couple times and met some of the members. Most have soobs, a couple have some nice ass evo's etc. Its a great place to go if your looking for some help with modding/tuning.

i have myself a bugeye that is slowly being modd'ed haha
    I'm up in seattle if you were any closer i'd take you for a ride... and for people who say that the wrx's arent fast... they are extremely missinformed.. yes the sti has more potential.. but for the price... my car is probably at about $10k (7k for the actual car) and it is faster than most other cars around here (faster than my dad's 69 'vette but not quite the 07)

It is all by person preference and budgets... i also love the look of my bugeye
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

Quote Originally Posted by d_Ziggy_2000 View Post
    i have myself a bugeye that is slowly being modd'ed haha
    I'm up in seattle if you were any closer i'd take you for a ride... and for people who say that the wrx's arent fast... they are extremely missinformed.. yes the sti has more potential.. but for the price... my car is probably at about $10k (7k for the actual car) and it is faster than most other cars around here (faster than my dad's 69 'vette but not quite the 07)

It is all by person preference and budgets... i also love the look of my bugeye

Do you know Kei Okako or Evan Hawthorne?

Quote Originally Posted by CATALYST View Post
    First, welcome! I'm a new member as well, just bought myself a 2004 WRX Limited, and I'm sure you'll be just as happy with a soob as I am!

There are lots of differences between the 2.5i and a WRX or STi. The 2.5 is the only one without a turbocharged engine and is the "base model" Impreza, with the WRX in the middle, and STi's at the top. Theres really a huge difference between a 2.5 and WRX, but I wouldn't be the one to give you specifics.

Im curious where in Oregon your located? I'm in Eugene, I noticed KnightFury is in Salem as well and I can vouch for his tip on FTWTuning. I've visited a couple times and met some of the members. Most have soobs, a couple have some nice ass evo's etc. Its a great place to go if your looking for some help with modding/tuning.
    Yeahhh I'm from Eugene aslo. Graduated from Willamette not too long ago. I was definitely going to run over to FTWtuning that he sent me a link to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.