About to buy a bugeye! Help!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on About to buy a bugeye! Help!? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, Im new here to the forum but i joined up when i got the idea to get a ...

About to buy a bugeye! Help!?

Hey guys, Im new here to the forum but i joined up when i got the idea to get a wrx. I finally found one that is in my price range. Its a 2002 Silver 5spd with 149000 miles. It has a blowoff valve, cold air intake, its lowered 2 inches has some 17 inch wheels. He says the timing belt and water pump have been changed but doesnt have reciepts. Any way to check? I drove it today thought and it drove really nice. Idled pretty well. Turbo kicked in well. It shifted well. And the price i talked him down to is 4800. Also the body is pretty nice. Remote start. No rust or visible leaks.

What do you guys think?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Im planning on buying it monday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the following:
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That helps but it doesnt answer my question. Im basically asking if you guys think 4800 is a good deal for the car? Im satisfied with the condition of it and how it runs.

If the car has been properly maintained then it should have plenty more miles to go and would be a good deal. However, seeing that the previous owner was running an aftermarket intake & a BOV you will definitely want to ensure that he got the car tuned soon after installing the intake. If the car hasn't been tuned at all, via a protune or some kind of AccessPort map the engine is destroying itself. If he can prove that he's running a tune specific to the intake and whatever other mods he has, go for it!
    2010 WRX (SWP)
    Cobb Stage 1 - Perrin SS

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicnate View Post
    That helps but it doesnt answer my question. Im basically asking if you guys think 4800 is a good deal for the car? Im satisfied with the condition of it and how it runs.
    It specifically answers your question.

If you are satisfied with the condition and how it runs there is little to add. Would I buy the car? Yes, but not to drive daily.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I personally wouldn't buy a previously modded car, especially a WRX. But if you are really considering it, have it inspected by an experienced Subaru mechanic before handing any of your money away.
    Jay for Justin.

Facebooook

I would be wary of that price for a bugeye. Then again, he might just know that the engine will be heading towards meltdown soon @ those kinda miles with those kinda mods (given he ran it stock).
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

I say go for it I bought on with 144 miles still running better then excellent with regular maintenance. bugeye impreza is one thing in life which you dont look back on there that AWSOME.
    W.....................R....................X

I'm not sure 4800 is a good price, given how much time, effort, and money you're going to drop into fixing it. People who put BOV's on their wrx tend to do other destructive things - like CAI's without tunes. You'll need to do a ton of engine work fairly quickly on this car.

My suggestion is to look for cars in better condition closer to the $7k mark - that's where all the good-quality bargains hang out.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Its an HKS Bov. And I bought the car today! HEYY. For 4600 too. Im overall really happy with it. It runs great. Idles well. Boost's nicely with no wierd issues. No check engine lights. I even got the original window sticker. It came with the premium sound system with sub, the short throw shifter , And the factory boost gauge.
    I plan on repainting the sideskirts in Silver and doing a better job than the previous owner.
    Here are some pics.

7n7
    Congrats on your purchase. Just make sure you aren't blasting your music all the time so you can listen to her and make sure she sounds right. If you hear anything "weird" you'll want to check it out asap. Hopefully everything is straight with the car and I hope you don't run into any problems. Enjoy!

Congrats on your new Subaru! It look's good

I hope you enjoy the car - congratulations!

I would suggest doing some datalog runs, just to make sure general engine health is alright. Otherwise, just make sure it's up on maintenance and fluids (timing belt is important), and have fun!
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

How do i go about doing some datalog runs? Thats something im interested in doing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.