Just bought an '03 Bugeye WRX Wagon - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Just bought an '03 Bugeye WRX Wagon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by EJ257 A more in-depth explanation and your options are outlined here: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ppipe-mod.html I disagree. It's not a ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A more in-depth explanation and your options are outlined here:
    Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod

I disagree. It's not a difficult install, but it's somewhat of a PITA. Cars that have lived a life in the salt belt (READ: corrosion) are more difficult than cars in a warmer climate, but it's not something you should feel the need to pay someone to do.

If you can find a local person who's done the install before, you should have no issues with a DIY project. If not, and you are somewhat mechanically-inclined, it'd be something to tackle yourself as well, as long as you have a walkthrough to refer to during the install.
    Yes, I didn't mean to imply that you should pay someone to do it for you - rather treat someone to pizza and beer who's done it before to help you. Unless you're a mechanic, don't go it alone unless you have >8 hours to spend.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am one of those kinds of people that is pretty intimidated by stuff like that, so I'd be more inclined to get a more experienced person to tackle it in exchange for free flowing beer/pizza, etc. Course, the beer would be flowing AFTER the install. My IQ drops to room temperature when there are too many beers in me.

That said, is there any sort of list of forum members that have done this install before (including locations) so newbies and scaredy-cats like me can get hooked up without breaking the bank or get screwed over by a mechanic that's not up to the task?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blastermaster
    I am one of those kinds of people that is pretty intimidated by stuff like that, so I'd be more inclined to get a more experienced person to tackle it in exchange for free flowing beer/pizza, etc. Course, the beer would be flowing AFTER the install. My IQ drops to room temperature when there are too many beers in me.
    There are many install times I've partaken in that have been extended due to beer flow

Quote Originally Posted by blastermaster
    That said, is there any sort of list of forum members that have done this install before (including locations) so newbies and scaredy-cats like me can get hooked up without breaking the bank or get screwed over by a mechanic that's not up to the task?
    Where in BC are you? There are some Canadian members on the boards, but the member base is very US-oriented. How far are you from the border? You may have better luck if you're willing to drive to the states...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm in the interior of BC. I figure if I have to, I'd probably have to drive to either Vancouver or Washington to get it done. That, or trust my local Subaru. The mechanic here is supposed to be #2 in Canada and they seem really, really cool here. I'm going in on Monday to get touch up paint and talk to the mechanic about the possibilities. Time will tell and I'll post the results of the discussion. Sounds like some people have had bad experiences regarding Subaru techs, but I have high hopes.

I don't know the protocol that the mechanics have to follow, but I'd imagine this would be a fun challenge - making something work better rather than fixing something to bring it back to its original state. We'll see.

I'm in pretty much the same boat... very little mechanical aptitude... I'm a mountain bike racer and half the time I try to work on my bike I end up having to take it to a shop to fix my mess, not really sure I want to try tearing apart my car.

Thanks for the info though... I'll have to look into this -- I'm in a small town in Colorado. I'm pretty sure the closest tuner or shop that does this sort of work is like 500 miles away...

Well, I've decided to go with the Stage 2 Cobb kit (are there others that are better)? I'm also going to be getting an uppipe installed at the same time, but I'm wondering what brand people recommend here and why. Thanks for all the help. God bless Subaru for making a sports car masked as a reliable AWD wagon so people like me can justify its purchase!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12