Had my car since its birth.. still need help haha
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Had my car since its birth.. still need help haha within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, whats up everybody, I have an 05 STI, ive only ever done basic maintenance to it. Oil change etc... ...

Had my car since its birth.. still need help haha

Hey, whats up everybody, I have an 05 STI, ive only ever done basic maintenance to it. Oil change etc... lately my car has been randomly stalling... any ideas what that would be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Need a LOT more info if we're going to make an informed response...

Two things: make sure you're entirely caught up on your maintenance schedule (tune ups, etc.), and given your description, it's probably your clutch (or something in that whole system)
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I have almost 70k miles and have never done a" tune up" i know that's horrible. I upgraded the clutch and flywheel maybe 20k ago. I don't know how to adjust the cluth though... think that could be it? What info would help you help me? Haha

I Support ClubWRX
    is it at idle? Which flywheel? It's a known issue that if you lighten the flywheel then there can be some stalling at idle. I had to raise my idle 2-300rpm until it was smooth again.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Yeah its at idle or when i depress the clutch when preparing to stop. Its a lightened flywheel but i forget the brand... ACT maybe? How do i raise my idle? It only recently started this... think a new set of plugs and a general tune up would help alleviate this as well?

I Support ClubWRX
    plugs and tune up won't do it. The idle needs raised. I have the ACT Streetlight flywheel as well. Since this is an STi you can't adjust the idle control cable. It needs to be done within the ECU. Is it a stock ECU?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Smile

Yeah. Car is completely stock aside from the clutch flywheel and a blow off valve. Always had intent to upgrade more but funds were lacking haha. Uncle Sam keeps Marines on a budget ya know?

I Support ClubWRX
    Semper Fi (Former 7051 stationed in 29)

The BOV can also cause idle problems. If you have the stock bypass valve... put it on and see if the stalling stops. If it doesn't... then I'd suggest purchasing the cobb accessport v2. It has an idle adjustment on it and it's an excuse to get a reflash to stage one. Get a bit more boost
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Oorah!! 6092.(most the guys i know that wanted ur mos ended up ordy.

Extra boost never hurt anybody haha. Unfortunately my stock **** is back in ohio while i've had the misfortune(haha) of being stationed in Miramar. Guess i'll just have to start savin. Another question...ikno a little "knock" is normal but is it normal to hear it much more clearly in like 2nd or 3rd. Low to mid rpms?

I Support ClubWRX
    Knock is not normal at all. What's knocking?

There is an abundance of STi's and WRXs sitting on that base (before a westpac I spent a month or two there at miramar). I'd borrow one of their OEM valves (Buy them a 6 pack and they'll be happy).
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Its made that sound since... well forever... but its a little louder these days... idk what it is then. You got me worried now.

How long ago did ya get out?

I Support ClubWRX
    I got out March of 09.

there may be a grinding noise if you're at 1200 rpms and trying to drive... (this engine isn't supposed to be that low of RPMs while trying to accel) but there shouldn't be a legitimate knock sound. Does it sound like engine, transmission or suspension?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Sounds alot like valves... its in the engine for sure. I was always told it was supposed to... good friends right? Haha i questioned it cause never had a car do it...but also never owned a subaru before either...

I got in when you were gettin out... still a boot :/ haha

I Support ClubWRX
    valves sound like ticking... they're especially audible at idle from outside the car.

On cold starts you can hear "piston slapping" This is normal too, but only usually with super cold weather.

That is 100% normal on our cars. Knocking is totally different. Do you think you can take a video of your engine bay so we could hear the sound? I'll be able to tell you if it's the valve tap or if it's piston slap or knocking.. They're all very different sounding.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Can't really hear what im talkin about... its more something u can hear driving with the windows down

Says uploads disabled. Maybe cause im on my phone? Could email it if u want?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast