looking at WRX to buy, need advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on looking at WRX to buy, need advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, this looks like it might be a great forum for me in the near future. I'm looking at buying ...

looking at WRX to buy, need advice

Hi, this looks like it might be a great forum for me in the near future. I'm looking at buying a 2002 WRX with 140,000 miles. I've never owned one of these before, and I am hoping for some advice before purchasing.
    Since this car has a good bit of miles on it, what are the things that I should look for? Are there any common problems?

I did notice the high mileage thread and it looks like these cars can last a long time. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Look at my thread. It may look daunting, but really, as long as you do even half of it, you're fine.

Just a few more tips (I may add these to the list very soon): #1 - scout out the dealership (assuming this is where you're getting it). Do they have a 30-day guarantee or are sales "as-is"? Do they seem to be fixing things up on the cars they pull in, or just spraying the tires? Are you allowed to test drive it on your own? If it's with the guy, does he direct you around a very short test track? Do the online reviews tell you horror stories or happy stories?

Some mechanical things: ABOVE ALL, either get a guarantee that it'll pass inspection, or get an OBD scanner in there, and make sure I/M readiness is done AND there are no DTC's. From there, make sure everything is as stock as you want it, and after you test drive, leave the car running. Take another look through the engine - and not just a look, a sniff too. You'll notice oil leaks after even their short run - anything enough to warm things up.

Everything else *should* be on the list... Most importantly, don't stress about the buying process, don't go all out for this car (there are used wrx's all over - you can wait for the next one), and DEFINITELY have fun on some test drives!

EDIT: Okay, I merged things in. My checklist should be good now, and I even wrote my story on the last post. Have fun.
    Last edited by poly_poly-man; 09-11-2010 at 06:40 AM.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Why you looking at one with such high mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    Why you looking at one with such high mileage?
    140 is not terribly high - I'd say definitely above 150k is starting to push it... remember that these cars last forever if not pushed.

100-150 is a pretty safe range while still leaving room for some bargains.

Although, certainly make sure the car's on its second timing belt before you buy.

Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

How much are they asking for said car? If they are asking for a dime over 7K id walk... you can find lower mileage ones for that same price... 140K is still a handfull of mile especially for a turbocharged car that has a tendency to be beat on.... there are people who go out and buy these cars with less then 50K on them and have huge mechanical problems, so yet again its all about how it was treated... my advice is as follows....
    1. Have a mechanic inspect it....
    2. Full service history...
    3. If it looks modified be weary (especially BOV, Mbc, turbo upgrade, cut heatshields, CAI, and exterior mods)

Good luck and hope it all goes well...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

^^ exactly. You're right that mileage means not much, and that other mechanical factors are more important. You're also right that it's crazy to spend more than $7k for 140K unless it has a new engine and whatever.

Id pay upwards of 9K for it if it were in A1 condition meaning...
    . 1 owner
    . Full service history
    . Mechanic inspection comes out prefect
    . New clutch
    . Completely stock
    . Every service done to a T
    . Adult owned since new (over the age of 30)
    . Completely straight body, paint, and interior

I forgot to add... You don't want an older car with crazy low mileage, this could mean that its been sitting for a long time and neglected... look for adverage to low... if a car sits for years it just deterriorates...
    Last edited by 06scoobyrex; 09-11-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

A1 condition meaning you can drive straight from the dealer/seller to a car show :P

And I mean, think about it - what's going to go wrong in these cars when they're old? clutches, belts, hoses, gaskets... it's not for a long time more that the metal in the engine starts making a bad piston seal (if driven sanely, ofc) and burns some oil - or a head gasket goes, or...

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    ... were in A1 condition meaning...
    . 1 owner
    . Full service history
    . Mechanic inspection comes out prefect
    . New clutch
    . Completely stock
    . Every service done to a T
    . Adult owned since new (over the age of 30)
    . Completely straight body, paint, and interior...
    Do used cars like this exist in some sort of used car dream world?

There is always gonna be something wrong with every car... I'm just saying top dollar value should be as close to perfect in every way... somethings you can overlook if it doesn't bother you... it was meant as more of someone who completely babies their car.... they are rare, but there are some close out there...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

That car is not worth 9 no matter what IMO. Nothing is going to be perfect theres no way. I would say pay no more than 6 or 7. Even if its stock with service receipts, suspension components are going to be shot esp all the rubber bushings.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.