Just ordered! - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Just ordered! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by ElVerde Haha same here...I still suck at driving it. Going from 1st to 2nd is only smooth ...

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    Haha same here...I still suck at driving it. Going from 1st to 2nd is only smooth about half of the time under any kind of acceleration load
    Your lucky they have done wonders on the 2011 clutch! My first WRX clutch was super heavy and the 5 speed was a lot more clunky. It's a matter of preference, I like the short throws, but it does mean you need to be more aware of how to engage and disengage your clutch. Lot more torque on these than your standard anything. Nothing like a manual!
    2011 DGM WRX Limited 5 Door

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I mean...is that the solution? I hate to hijack the thread but is the key to a smooth shift with the short throw just staying on the clutch a bit longer to let the revs drop, or disengaging the clutch more slowly after shifting? I just don't want to put more wear on the clutch than is necessary.

My previous experience was in a severely underpowered Mazda pickup truck...so I'm flying by the seat of my pants a bit here. Only have about 200 miles on the car at this point.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    I mean...is that the solution? I hate to hijack the thread but is the key to a smooth shift with the short throw just staying on the clutch a bit longer to let the revs drop, or disengaging the clutch more slowly after shifting? I just don't want to put more wear on the clutch than is necessary.

My previous experience was in a severely underpowered Mazda pickup truck...so I'm flying by the seat of my pants a bit here. Only have about 200 miles on the car at this point.
    Remember clutches are meant to be worn, better than your transmission. Just remember that sweet spot when you disengage the clutch, your car starts moving without gas. That should always be the position of the clutch before giving a steady amount of gas. Don't over think it, you don't need to stare at your rpms to get a good clue when to shift. Short shifter doesn't make things easier, just a better feel and and yes more fun. The only two things that are going to wear your clutch quick is using it to slow down all the time (brake pads are cheaper) and dropping the clutch to race. Think smooth and you will eventually get those results. Another tip, the faster you engage the clutch the quicker you can shift from gear to gear and disengage. IMO
    2011 DGM WRX Limited 5 Door

I Support ClubWRX
    on the bright side my dealer told me that the clutch is covered for 36,000 miles.
    I remember the first time I took out a 2009 WRX on a test drive.I was having so much fun(coming from a Honda CR-V) that I almost forgot to brake when I took the exit off the freeway.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yeah I guess my problem is just letting off the clutch too quickly after each shift and not allowing the clutch a chance sync things up properly. Oh well...give me another 200 miles and we'll be good

My dealer told me the same thing about the clutch being warrantied for 36,000 miles. Just keep in mind that doesn't cover abuse from poor driving habits
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Just got word my car will be in on 10/20. Sooo excited!

Congrats!! I picked mine up on the 4th and all I can say is that it's worth the wait.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345