08 sti vs. 11 wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

This is a discussion on 08 sti vs. 11 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey, I am a current rx8 owner who is looking to make a switch. I went and test drove the ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1

    08 sti vs. 11 wrx

    hey, I am a current rx8 owner who is looking to make a switch. I went and test drove the premium '11 wrx and really like the car. However, the sticker price is just over 29k. Seeing as you can get a 08 sti with low miles for around this price and less, which in your opinion is the better buy all things considered performance, cost of ownership, reliability, etc.? Any opinion on the matter would be much appreciated I have done research on both models so I think know most of the technical differences, but would like to hear actual owners perspective on that matter.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User dbya rx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Marcos, California, United States
    Posts
    911
    i bought a 2010 limited rex, around 30k. i found a couple used sti's around, but it was really difficult to find any that were certified pre-owned, which is the only way i would go with that type of vehicle. the CPO program at subaru is really good, and it extends the warranty on the powertrain.

    but, with the amount of modding that takes place with subarus, you may have a lot of trouble finding a clean and non-modded sti. i would be weary of buying one from a private seller unless you have a mechanic you trust that knows subarus that can inspect the vehicle to confirm that it was never modded.

    if i were you, based on the fact that your rx8 is one of the best handling vehicles on the planet, i would probably lean towards the sti b/c it handles that much better than a stock wrx, but dont get into buying a junker that was all raced out and is not reliable.

    good luck
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

  4. #3
    Registered User ElVerde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    650
    I struggled with the same dilemma as you...They're obviously both great cars and they have a lot to offer...but which one?

    I'm convinced that, in a vacuum, the STi is a better car. It has more power, a better transmission, better suspension, etc. These are all especially important if you plan to track the car or do any sort of serious racing.

    However, I chose a new 2011 WRX for a few reasons. The WRX is my daily driver, and it needs to be tame enough to drive every day. The 5 speed is easier to live with on a daily basis than the 6 speed. The suspension is more forgiving for long drives and comfort. It isn't quite as loud. It's faster from 0-60 (which means more, or at least equal, success in stoplight racing).

    But really, the most important factor to me was the choice between having a used or a new car. Too many spoiled kids and "boy racers" have abused them, and you'll never really know how abused a used one was. I would buy a used Toyota Camry...I don't know how much of a hurry I'd be in to buy a used Subaru when I could buy a new one I'll be just as satisfied with on a daily basis.

    Oh and my new WRX cost me under 25k.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

  5. #4
    Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Woodbury, CT
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by jlknights61 View Post
    hey, I am a current rx8 owner who is looking to make a switch. I went and test drove the premium '11 wrx and really like the car. However, the sticker price is just over 29k. Seeing as you can get a 08 sti with low miles for around this price and less, which in your opinion is the better buy all things considered performance, cost of ownership, reliability, etc.? Any opinion on the matter would be much appreciated I have done research on both models so I think know most of the technical differences, but would like to hear actual owners perspective on that matter.
    You shouldn't pay sticker for an '11 WRX premium. You probably would be paying 27.5-28k for a premium if you play your cards right. Maybe less if we aren't talking taxes and fees. However, your argument still stands because I have seen '08 STi's for around $27k.

    It boils down to cost to own for most people. A $35k car when new but $27k used will still cost what a $35k does to maintain properly. This includes insurance, repairs and all that. If you want the extra performance and will use it and can afford the extra costs of an STi, then go for it. They are wonderful cars. Just make sure you get one that is unmolested.

    I faced the same choice and I went with a new WRX. I'd rather have 7/10th's and peace of mind and less expenses then go all out at this point in my life. When I can afford a new STi, is when I'll consider getting one probably. I might still get a used one, but I want to be comfortable knowing I can afford it regardless.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    61
    I would also recommend going with a new car. But of course it depends on how much you value having the new car smell, knowing that you are the first and only owner as well as the peace of mind that the car was never abused or mis-treated. Espescially with the STI, people probably don't buy them to drive them like an accord or camry.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    167

    Smile

    Hi,

    I am currently driving a RX8 too, and I ordered a New WRX a few weeks ago. Although I won't say the 5 speed is better than the 6 in Rx8, I do believe that the increased hp and tq will for sure delight me. And the turbo will bring some unique characteristic as well (I will miss the 9.5k power band for sure! The wrx's redline as only 6.5k, while the STI has about 8k).

    Other than that, the AWD aspect also attracted me a lot, as Indy gets tons of snow, and my rx8 was stuck once last year even with my premier driving. :-)

    It's great to see a rx8 driver here!

  8. #7
    Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Woodbury, CT
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by msharp View Post
    Hi,
    The wrx's redline as only 6.5k, while the STI has about 8k).
    STi and WRX redlines are identical at 6.5k
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

  9. #8
    Registered User jd92677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,136
    When that turbo spools up for the first time, that 9.5k "power" band will be a distant memory. It's not even in the same class

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    When that turbo spools up for the first time, that 9.5k "power" band will be a distant memory. It's not even in the same class
    Yep - this is probably the primary reason for my switch. The RX8 is a great and fun car, but its torque definitely needs some serious improvements.

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    STi and WRX redlines are identical at 6.5k
    Really???
    Although I've never driven a STI before, I swear I saw the 8k redline on some Youtube video (not modded). It was a review of 2011 STI in Japnese... wait, does that mean that the STI in Japan (which should be using the EJ20, right?) has 8k redline?

    Please advice.

  12. #11
    Registered User Sunkist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by msharp View Post
    Really???
    Although I've never driven a STI before, I swear I saw the 8k redline on some Youtube video (not modded). It was a review of 2011 STI in Japnese... wait, does that mean that the STI in Japan (which should be using the EJ20, right?) has 8k redline?

    Please advice.
    Japan 2.0L and higher redline.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

  13. #12
    Registered User Stitches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    103
    Sorry you bought an RX-8. I would go with the STi mainly because it has the six speed. WRX trannies are junk. The STi will have better power, handling, and a more sporty interior. 29 is very very steep for a WRX

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    69
    RX-8 turncoat here! Great car,horrible mileage and 500 rpm "powerband". Besides that,best handling car I have owned,150hp more and it would be perfect. I bagged mine when Toyota Avalons were pulling away from me. Never tracked it, so uber handling not a issue.I'm sure you'll love having power and AWD!

  15. #14
    Registered User BigB007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    Sorry you bought an RX-8. I would go with the STi mainly because it has the six speed. WRX trannies are junk. The STi will have better power, handling, and a more sporty interior. 29 is very very steep for a WRX
    What?! The wrx tranny is not junk it isn't as good as the sti but it surely isn't junk. If you drive the wrx poorly the tranny will break if you drive normally the tranny will last. 29k is not steep for a new wrx especially if you are looking at the premium our limited trim. Those two trims will put you near the 29k mark give or take a little.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

  16. #15
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,772
    I Support ClubWRX
    Also factor in insurance for the STI. It's one of the most expensive cars to insure at least where I live.The new 2011 car has warranty,even the clutch is insured 3 years or 36,000 miles.

    Like Subaru themselves say,WRX owners did not buy the STI mainly bcoz of the price factor.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •