buying 95 - 96 JDM GC8C wrx soon. Questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on buying 95 - 96 JDM GC8C wrx soon. Questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just got stationed in northern japan and am going to get myself an impreza in the next few days. ...

buying 95 - 96 JDM GC8C wrx soon. Questions

I just got stationed in northern japan and am going to get myself an impreza in the next few days. I have 3 to choose from. a 95 wrx with lots of mods. a 96 gravel express wagon wrx with less mods and a 96 STi that may be too expensive but i may be able to get.

I was wondering what sort of performance path you take with these cars? can you slap on a boost controler and intake and exhaust and be good to go or is there weak points that need to be addressed in these cars. i have a good deal of experiance tuning turb cars but I know that theyare all differant and all have their little quirks.

I hear that this particuar years of the impreza the STi is not that much differant than the regualt car so maybe getting a 95 with lots of parts for 4k might be better than a 96 STi with almost no performance mods for 5k. I say this because i won't have much money to purchase parts for the car that i buy so building up a car from stock is not going to happen.

I had a 2006 wrx for a week once before than bank called and took it back. It was a great car but I'm betting these JDM older ones will blow it out of the water.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome along.

Nice choice of cars, from my own personal experience i'd go with the standard 95WRX and
    mod it a bit at a time when funds allow.

Would you bother taking it back to the US with you.
    Also was wondering would you need to get a re-map on to run
    America gas if you did.

no I don't think that i would be able to get it into america. There is too much to do to federalize the cars if they are under 25 years old.

I have a 96 wagon for 3200 with intake, coilovers and BOV or a 95 sedan with intake,full exhaust, apexi boost control and coilovers for 4k

or a 96 STI for 5k with mods as well. I think in that year the STi had about 22hp more, forged pistons, and special shocks.

I like the wagon body style because if need be my dog can chill in the back but that one has the least mods and is higher milage. Although it has had good maintinance and is cheaper.

Thanks for the info, didn't realise there was that musch hassle
    with importing a car into the US. We're not too bad over here.

My gut feeling is go for the higher mileage well maintained wagon, your dog will thank you for it

I drove the 96 STi yasterday. its stock exept for some gauges and a 3" catback, and HKS coilovers. I would need to install at least an intake, downpipe, boost control, BOV to get it the way i would like.

I have not been able to get ahold of the sport wagon guy but I was pretty happy with the STi and for 4300.00 USD it's a good car.

I need to get info on what the upgrade path for these cars is.

after the basic intake/exhaust stuff whats next?

what is the stock boost level for the 96 JDM STi? how high can it be set on a stock car before fueling hits its limit or you need a fuel controller?

Pity about the wagon, but at the end of the day.
    Go with the car your happiest with.
    That STI sounds great. I'm not well up on STI's
    A friend over here reckons the 1996 STi is 13.64psi.

But you might need to post in the tech area for a definite answer.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.