Stereo question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stereo question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi! This is may be a silly question, but does anyone know who makes the stereo for the WRX? I ...

I Support ClubWRX

Stereo question

Hi! This is may be a silly question, but does anyone know who makes the stereo for the WRX? I got my '11 REX last week and I love the car, but the stereo leaves a lot to be desired! I am thinking of replacing the speakers and maybe add a subwoofer.

Thanks.
    '11 Red WRX Premium
    '12 Black Camaro 2SS
    '05 Maxima
    '00 Acura TL

"A man's got to know his limitations"
    Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I haven't looked but if you pull the stereo out the manufacturer label will more than likely be attached.

I know Clarion made the stock stereo on MY06-07...doesn't really help now does it
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

i dont think it is really necessary to know who makes the head unit in order to replace speakers and get a subwoofer. why do you feel you need to know?
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I know Clarion made the stock stereo on MY06-07...doesn't really help now does it
    That's a safe bet. They made subaru radios since i believe the late 80s or early 90s. My 91 Legacy was clarion

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    i dont think it is really necessary to know who makes the head unit in order to replace speakers and get a subwoofer. why do you feel you need to know?
    +1...

If you want to get a new Head Unit, rarely does getting the same brand after market H/U as your stock manufacturer, make things easier. It will still require a wiring harness and some splicing/solder
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

The 2011 stereos should be Clarions, too. I just had some stereo upgrades done today, and that's what the guys at the shop said.

what size are the speakers on the 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by liquidoxygen22 View Post
    what size are the speakers on the 2011?
    They are six inch, front and back. Standard tweeter size behind the mounts in the corners of the door. Yes, even the base models now have a true six speaker system. But don't get too excited, the stock system still sounded awful.

Quote Originally Posted by mm05897 View Post
    They are six inch, front and back. Standard tweeter size behind the mounts in the corners of the door. Yes, even the base models now have a true six speaker system. But don't get too excited, the stock system still sounded awful.
    yea i figured that. Just wanted to get some speaker sizes so i can have some new ones waiting

Better headunit will make a much better improvement than adding speakers first. Better output power provides better signal meaning better sound quality.

yeah but if the speakers are pieces of **** you are going to need to replace them anyway. if you dont want to attract attention with a flashy head unit, new speakers and amp is a better option.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Well I did add a six channel amp, replaced all of the factory speakers, and added a sub in the trunk. Huge improvement, but the bass signal from the factory head unit is so weak that things still don't sound quite right. Looks like I am going to have to replace the head unit despite my attempts not to. That's just it, I did not want to attract attention or tip off anyone that there's a system in there. Car audio guys say that a JL Clean Sweep or equivelant will not even help. Signal being sent from the head unit to the Clean Sweep is too weak.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was just curious about the manufacturer of the stereo since it sounds so cheap!! I miss the 10 speaker Bose system in my Maxima, but I'll sacrifice that for the fun of driving the REX! I don't think I'll change the head unit since it has Blueetooth and iPod interface that I really like. Probably install new speakers and add a subwoofer to compensate for the lack of sound. In the meantime, I'll have to settle for the nice exhaust sound while driving!!
    '11 Red WRX Premium
    '12 Black Camaro 2SS
    '05 Maxima
    '00 Acura TL

"A man's got to know his limitations"
    Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

The bottom line is...Cars are just not good platforms for "good" audio...especially if you are an audiophile. The acoustics suck, period. Whomever thought that putting speakers down by your ankles in a door, must have been sitting upside-down in a car. Its retarded.

But it doesn't matter what kind of speakers you have, crappy stockers made of paper or supreme MB Quart-type expensive quality speakers...if the initial signal sucks, your sound quality is going to suck. A good signal is required to make good sound.

As for headunits...doesn't matter who produces them, whether they are a quality brand or not. They are mass produced just to throw in. Not saying that they are made like crap, but they just don't have the same thought put into them as something aftermarket. The everyday soccer mom and commuter usuaully don't worry about exactly how the stereo sounds...just it DOES have a stereo in case they want to listen to a little music here or there. 90% of the people out there, aren't like us. That being said my stock Bose system from my 350z was terrible...and that little cabin shoulda been blowing sound out like crazy...and it started with a ****ty head unit. Speakers behind the seats??? Serious?? Retarded.

If you are going to do it, do it right, the first time. There are many good head units out there. Many that will even look great with a stock interior...its just a matter of shopping around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast