Noob 2010 STI here
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Noob 2010 STI here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, Noob and proud owner of a new 2010 STI. Hope to meet some good people and find some ...

Noob 2010 STI here

Hi all,

Noob and proud owner of a new 2010 STI. Hope to meet some good people and find some good info here.

Came from a MKV GTI, loved that thing, very nice little car, but I wanted something with more HP's and ended up with the STI. Very different machines. I am just beginning to learn it. Seems like all the power is north of 3000 RPMs, (in S# mode - not sure what the other two modes are good for...) The 3000-4500 seems to be where normal (good) acceleration can be found. 5000 to 7000 is the crazy zone. I haven't really jumped in to explore that area yet.

I'm not used to redlining an engine to wring the power out of it. The GTI had a lot of torque and power down low, and peaked out power wise a little after 5000 RPMS so there was no point in redlining it.

The STI seems like it needs to be taken almost to redline to really get the power out of it. Is that normal/ok in this car?

I haven't done that yet since it is new and not broken in yet. I have jumped on it pretty hard to seat the piston rings and keep up the variety in driving conditions while it's being broken in, but no redline stuff yet. From the feel of it driving north of 5000 RPMs in the lower gears is gonna be nuts.

Can these cars be driven that hard without worrying about the engine? It is a top shelf sports model, so I'm thinking it should be able to handle that kind of thing on occasion.

Your thoughts? What would be your first upgrades to a car like this? Are there any things I should be watching for. I have read about bad pistons in the '08, but hopefully they have solved that problem in the 2010 model.

Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pick up my first ever Subaru tomorrow 5 door 2011 Dark Grey STI. I would also like the answers too those questions......

Wife taking the 08 GTI unitronic stage 1.

I am 51 Sept 19 so happybirthday toooooooooo me

Congrats on your birthday present!!

I must correct myself, 6700 rpms is redline, peak horsepower is around 5600rpms, so no point in going much further than that, unless it's because the car revs from 4+K to 5600 so fast in 1st gear that you can't get your shift in before 6K rpms.

So far this is a very different experience than the GTI. The GTI was smooth smooth smooth, effortless fun. This car is almost a slug below 3K, and then just explodes on you over 4K and demands a lot more attention and care/technique to drive it smoothly. I wish there was more power down low, but I guess if there was, it wouldn't be so damn fast up around red line.

For an average "sporty" driver 3K-4.5K rpms in the lower 4 gears provides a lot of manageable acceleration, but beyond that you will have to work like a demon changing gears fast to keep it from redlining, while feeling like you've been shot out of a catapult. One thing is for sure, driving this car to it's upper performance limits is not a casual experience. This car will make you work pretty hard to keep up with it if you want to drive it hard.

I used to own a ZX-14 with the flys out, a PCIII and a Muzzy can, and am no stranger to crazy performance. But I didn't have to work as hard on that bike as it seems like I will have to in this car to drive it fast AND smooth.

I think I need a track to learn this thing...
    Last edited by macshooter; 08-31-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Welcome... congrtaz on the purchase, post pictures when you can... as for the power in the lower rpm range, it is normal for these cars and can be improved with a stage 1 tune... the tune will dramatically improve drivability and how it performs throughout the powerband...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Once you get past the break in period, I wouldn't be afraid to bring it up to red line quite frequently. You will probably have to worry more about the boys in blue then your engine if you know what I mean.

Very different experience from a GTI I agree. It will take some time to adjust to the STi's powerband but that is half the fun. When you feel like tearing it up the skill is in learning how to keep your rev's high enough to give you power on demand in different situations. Shift wisely and it will reward you handsomely.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.