New Member and STi hopeful, could use help from experts
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Member and STi hopeful, could use help from experts within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; **Update** This thread is almost a year old but I felt compelled to come back and let all you awesome ...

New Member and STi hopeful, could use help from experts

**Update** This thread is almost a year old but I felt compelled to come back and let all you awesome people know whats up
    Hello everybody, I would just like to update you all on my situation and give an ENORMOUS thank you to everyone who told me to wait til after school to buy a subbie.

I was very close to buying a hawkeye this year now that I have managed to save up a few hundred short of my goal for a down payment. Well even though I did read the advice on this thread, I only took it with a grain of salt because when the subbie fever kicks in, its pretty darn hard to deter oneself haha.

Anyways, I saw first hand how much strain buying out of ones means could affect someone. Recently a family member bought a brand new wrx. Deep down I was dying of jealousy and was even more determined to acquire my own. But I just brushed it off despite his constant rubbing of my face.

Here is where the epiphany occurs. Despite having a 10 year lead on me in the corporate world and having a wife as supplementary income he ended up in worlds of debt, resulting in him now trying to sell the car.

In the few months he had it, I had taken on more than a full course load at school, summer classes and more hours at work. I have saved up so much money since I first posted this almost a year ago, and the thing is, Iremembered this thread and now I don't even want to use it to buy my rex. In a year I will finish school early and be able to buy my STI shortly after, DEBT FREE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYONE'S WORDS OF WISDOM ON THIS FORUM even though at the time they didn't exactly reach my ears.

and thanks for taking the time to read this little shpeal of mine, and hopefully I will be on here in a year eager to learn from all of you!

Hello there!

I would just like to say that I've been a fan of Subaru for quite sometime now and after I drove a friends rex I've been completely hooked and have come down with a severe case of Impreza fever haha. I've also been a fan of this website for a few months now, I find myself checking this place out at least once a day, though I must admit it kills me a little bit inside knowing I'll have to wait a long time to have a ride to call my own.

So I'm only 19, and I am a complete n00bcake when it comes to cars, but I'd like to learn. Just by reading some of the stuff here on the forum i've learned quite a lot but I still feel incompetent. Hopefully we can change that lol.

One of the things I would like some advice about is the best way to purchase an STi. I have about 1800 saved up in the bank and I have part time job that pays $8.65 part time because I go to school. I have just started to build credit incase I need to take out a loan. I also am going to mow lawns and shovel snow depending on weather . I've got my eye on 2011 model, because I know it will take a long time to save up for one so I might as well go for the latest model

I guess my first question is really, how would I go about purchasing one? Take out a loan, put a down payment? How much money should I save up before even considering putting a down payment?

Haha also if we could brainstorm how to make extra cash on the side that would be awesome.

I'd like to hear about your stories on how you saved up to get your Wrx/STi

Thanks and I look forward to meeting and learning from all of you !
    Last edited by Dionysus; 06-17-2011 at 11:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Wait until you're done with school and have a good job before buying an STI.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the Club!

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Wait until you're done with school and have a good job before buying an STI.
    Aye. Debt like that in your situation is a really bad idea.

If you have to have a WRX / STi buy an older model used. Don't get too hung up on an STi. The WRX is plenty of fun.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Club!

Aye. Debt like that in your situation is a really bad idea.

If you have to have a WRX / STi buy an older model used. Don't get too hung up on an STi. The WRX is plenty of fun.
    I understand haha, thats good advice. I guess the fever is just getting the best of me. What would you suggest? I've had a thing for the 06' model, but what would you guys suggest?

Also if I buy used what kinda mileage should I look for, because I know people like to put crazy mileage in a short period on cars like this haha.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    I understand haha, thats good advice. I guess the fever is just getting the best of me. What would you suggest? I've had a thing for the 06' model, but what would you guys suggest?

Also if I buy used what kinda mileage should I look for, because I know people like to put crazy mileage in a short period on cars like this haha.
    Look for original unmodified cars if possible. All other things being equal, a car with a lot of highway miles is more desirable than a car with fewer miles but has seen mostly short trips / city / stop and go driving.

Start exploring here: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Look for original unmodified cars if possible. All other things being equal, a car with a lot of highway miles is more desirable than a car with fewer miles but has seen mostly short trips / city / stop and go driving.

Start exploring here: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/

Wow thanks for all the help! Thats great info.

Just one last thing, is there a place where I can learn whats stock and what isn't? Like I said I'm still a car noob and i'm not sure about some of the features of the used cars I'm looking at. Thanks again!

im 29 and i just bought my first wrx. ive owned some decently expensive cars prior to this, including a $30k plus toyota tacoma 4x4. honestly, the wrx is a really fun car, but things can get out of hand quickly. i would not like to find out what i would have done at your age with the kind of power in a 2010 wrx or an older sti. i would have gotten myself into some serious trouble. like the previous replies said, keep working, stay the course in school, and if all of your hard work pays off, you will be able to get a job and buy a great car at that time.
    Last edited by dbya rx; 08-28-2010 at 12:29 PM.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    Wow thanks for all the help! Thats great info.

Just one last thing, is there a place where I can learn whats stock and what isn't? Like I said I'm still a car noob and i'm not sure about some of the features of the used cars I'm looking at. Thanks again!
    Any aftermarket under hood parts could be a clue including intakes, blow off vales and exhaust systems.

Keep in mind a 100% stock looking car could have been one that was hastily reverted back to stock using the OEM parts after being extensively modified. This could potentially be a riskier buy than a properly / intelligently modified car.

A qualified auto technician who knows specifically what to look for is your best bet for getting a reliable car. One who knows the WRX / STi well is obviously the best one to seek out.
    Mods & Pics

All good advice in here. I'd say focus on school first and keep saving up. But If you really need to get a Subie, get one that you know that you can afford or better yet, once you have a good amount of money saved find one fairly cheap enough to pay with straight cash. I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone else when I say car payments suck.

Once you finish school and find yourself a better job, then you can focus on an STi.
    Jay for Justin.

Facebooook

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx jay View Post
    All good advice in here. I'd say focus on school first and keep saving up. But If you really need to get a Subie, get one that you know that you can afford or better yet, once you have a good amount of money saved find one fairly cheap enough to pay with straight cash. I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone else when I say car payments suck.
    Yes ... school first, save money and wait for the right time to buy financially. A car is a really dumb thing to get in over your head on.
    Mods & Pics

Hello everybody, I would just like to update you all on my situation and give an ENORMOUS thank you to everyone who told me to wait til after school to buy a subbie.

I was very close to buying a hawkeye this year now that I have managed to save up a few hundred short of my goal for a down payment. Well even though I did read the advice on this thread, I only took it with a grain of salt because when the subbie fever kicks in, its pretty darn hard to deter oneself haha.

Anyways, I saw first hand how much strain buying out of ones means could affect someone. Recently a family member bought a brand new wrx. Deep down I was dying of jealousy and was even more determined to acquire my own. But I just brushed it off despite his constant rubbing of my face.

Here is where the epiphany occurs. Despite having a 10 year lead on me in the corporate world and having a wife as supplementary income he ended up in worlds of debt, resulting in him now trying to sell the car.

In the few months he had it, I had taken on more than a full course load at school, summer classes and more hours at work. I have saved up so much money since I first posted this almost a year ago, and the thing is, Iremembered this thread and now I don't even want to use it to buy my rex. In a year I will finish school early and be able to buy my STI shortly after, DEBT FREE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYONE'S WORDS OF WISDOM ON THIS FORUM even though at the time they didn't exactly reach my ears.

and thanks for taking the time to read this little shpeal of mine, and hopefully I will be on here in a year eager to learn from all of you!

How many years and miles of driving experience do you have, and on what kinds of cars?

An STI isn't a great idea for a 19 (or are you 20 now) year old. It's more car than kids your age can usually handle unless you have a lot of driving experience. But even then, young guys have a lead right foot and no amount of experience is a cure for that. I just see far too many posts on here and other forums about guys your age with cars like this that end up hitting something because it's too fast for your experience level. No offense, but that's life.

If I were you, I'd just save up and buy a WRX rather than an STI. You also need to take insurance into account. The STI is the highest risk class of cars because of its power so it costs a LOT more to insure than a regular WRX.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Glad to hear everything worked out in your favor! I do agree that an sti may be too much for most 20 year olds but it's really about maturity and responsibility as well. I'm only 22 myself but I have almost 7 years of driving under my belt with a spotless record. also when I looked in to switching from a wrx to an sti it was only a $7 increase for insurance. I'm sure some people see hundreds of dollars difference though. Definitely shop around first before you even buy the car

Anyway good choice on your decision to wait until next year when you're done with school so you can buy your sti debt free. Taking on school, work, car insurance, bills, etc is definitely tough so the least you have to worry about the better!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.