Speed bumps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Speed bumps within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First time poster, long time reader here. So I've owned my '06 wrx for nearly 3 years. I bought it ...

Speed bumps

First time poster, long time reader here.

So I've owned my '06 wrx for nearly 3 years. I bought it used with 28k miles on it, the original owner had it lowered 1" and 1.5" front and back respectively.

Its rather stiff but I love how it handles in the twisty sections, its never been an issue much, I just mind driveway entrances/exits and speed bumps, i have no problem taking my time crawling over them.

Two weeks ago my condo had a few patches of asphalt patches (cracks) then sealed and the parking spots repainted. They also had the speed bumps redone. The speed bumps got bigger but I negotiated them just fine, now that all the final touches are going on I discovered yesterday that they didn't think the speed bumps were big enough so they enlarged them again, now I can't go over them without severely scraping the undercarriage of my car.

I ran into the construction guys and they told me that they knew they were too big and that they suggested the resize them. So in the mean time what do i do? I'm not even sure they are gonna make them smaller.

Im not on good terms with HOA, they're all old 80yo nazi's and the president has always had it out for me since I moved in 4 years ago. So me personally speaking with them doesn't sound like a good option. Its obvious that the bumps cause damage as they're all scraped up after just two days.

Do i have a legal leg to stand on as they are damaging my car? I can't avoid them, there is only one entrance/exit to my condo area and I have to go over two of them.

I'd estimate they're 5-6" high x 16long and cover curb to curb with about a 6 inch gap in the middle for drainage. I looked at the dimensions of the ones on city streets and they're 3in max!

Any experience with this issue or any ideas at all please feel free to share.

Edit: I also thought about tire pressure but they're all at 34psi as of Wednesday.
    Last edited by Mindcrime; 08-27-2010 at 11:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    not a permanent solution of course but have you tried going over them at an angle? thats how all the extremely slammed vdub guys usually go over bumps lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    not a permanent solution of course but have you tried going over them at an angle? thats how all the extremely slammed vdub guys usually go over bumps lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These bumps are so tall that the "fold" of the body on the bottom of the car will hit if i don't have a tire on the bump at all times, so i'd have to go over at such an angle that atleast 1 wheel is on them at any given position until the last wheel is on. I'll give it a try but that angle sounds extreme or impossible given the dimensions of wheel base and track of a wrx. I'm thinking about adjusting the ride height of the car, i didn't lower it but its got coil overs, i assume they're adjustable.

But damn it I shouldn't have to change for this nazi crap.

I hear ya about hoa nazi's, I've had my troubles with them myself...lol a while back I had an 05 g35 coupe that was lowered and it was impossable to go over any speed bump w/o scrapping... I tried the most extream angles I could and still couldn't.... id say keep complaining and check your county's laws to see if there are any laws in place for speed bumps... and if there is all you have to do is threaten the hoa manager with a call to the dot and they will have to fix it with the quickness or face large amounts of fines that get bigger everyday its not fixed....
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Yeah I guess that could work. Since its technically private property Im sure DOT would have nothing they could do but, why would they need to go beyond what DOT does.

I found a good article about residents of a community having the bumps removed and they broke down their argument in a few key points and the biggest being that there was no study or data gathered to even warrant the speed bumps. Now these were on public roads but its still a good example. Someone saying "man they're going way to fast" isn't good data in my book.

*OH i have a great idea, we'll pull the reverse. I'll pull out in the morning when everyone is leaving for work and try some RIDICULOUS angle and try my hardest to clear it without scraping, everyone else will be backed up and waiting, hopefully honking. People will hopefully complain that the speed bumps are too slow.

Why don't you stand at the speed up and kindly ask the cars to stop and ask their opinion on the matter and see if they will sign a survey saying the bumps are to tall.

There are really only 2 things you can do. Spend the money and consult a lawyer to find out if they are legal, or spend the time to find out if there is a city ordinance that limits the height of the speed bumps. Even on private property they have to obey city ordinances. If there is no ordinance against it there is not much you can do. Be careful about causing a big scene, being that your car is lowered, in some states you can actually get a ticket for altering a vehicle from stock. I would CYA and read into that before you start pissing off your neighbors, just a suggestion.

All points stated are good ones..

What I would do personally is place a small cam at the bump during morning leave time and see how many cars scrape over that bump.

5-6" is tall enough that many FACTORY suspended cars are going to scrape.

City ordinances are important too as already stated, find out if they have regulations and what they are.. and find out if your hoa even got the right permits to install the bumps. Usually this is all public record so you should easily be able to go to the clerks office and find out.

of course, if you have any buddies that are bar certified lawyers then it might be time to call in a favor lol.. I would.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

All this is great input, I will definitely check if and what the city ordinances are, but I'm sure I'll have to wait until Monday for that.

The survey is a great idea as it would be the voice of the home owners.

Currently there is no sign stating there are bumps ahead, nor are they painted to warn you. They are just big lumps of asphalt just as black as the rest of the drive, which could be a safety aspect as well. I don't see too many cyclists through here but I bet they would be a nuisance for them as well.

Again thanks for your time and thoughts.

Edit: they seemed to have reformed them but the height is still the same or nearly the same as I still scrape. They've just elongated them so they aren't as sharp but the ground clearance issue is unchanged. Also my car has been at less than a 1/4 tank of gas through all this; i fear what it could be with a full tank.

Well I can tell you right now that the speed bumps have to be painted yellow or some other bright color cause it is a road hazzard... that's like painting a cinderblock black and leaving it on the freeway...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Just put a camera there and let it run all day. I am sure there has to be people with factory ride height that are hitting the speed bump. Show it to the hoa. I am also sure you will see plenty of people going over it sideways to avoid scraping, and tell them that is also another safety issue that could be easily avoided by making the speed bump lower.

I hate annoying landlords. They forget that you are PAYING to live there, and they treat you like they are doing you a favor by letting you live there.
    Last edited by profall; 08-29-2010 at 09:15 AM.

7n7
    You could try tossing a 2x4 down in front/behind the speed bump to make it a little "longer" or a journey over it. Only thing would be if they removed them, and getting out of your car to put them there would be a little annoying. However, it might get a point across that "the speed bump is too big!" and make the land lords reconsider those evil things.

Good luck, hope your car hasn't had too much damage done to it.

Send letter after letter. Then take a chisel and knock off an inch or 5.

Luckily my condo lot doesn't have this issue but I do have a bump in front of my garage which causes half my garage to fill up with water and they haven't done anything about it for a year for me and over 5 years with the previous owner. I am to the point where I put stone blocks inside my garage to step on to get in my car because it is ankle deep at the door.

Associations are always asses. I didn't get a mailbox key, so their fix was to replace it using a screwdriver and all of his body weight to pry it open. The new lock works great!...aside from the fact you can open it with a very light tug while it's locked because he bent the door. Stupid crap like that.
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

thats where condo's are always a pita.. Not sure about Illinois but for what they cost around Va beach, you can buy a detached home and fix whatever is needed on your own. Even if there is a hoa, all that usually has to be done is submit for approval if there is a change in appearance. maintenance is usually a non issue (at least it is with the hoa I'm now a part of ) .. Its only when construction or a large scale appearance change is made that they get itchy.

You know that water build up in your garage can and probably is contributing to mold/mildew and has the potential for a HUGE health hazard. Have you talked with a lawyer about it? The hoa ignoring you IS illegal.. read over your agreement again and contact a lawyer. If you bought/own (renters fall under different rules but same health issue still applies) they're ignorance is destroying your personal property.

Or what I'd do is document the water and any other damage, fix the damned thing myself.. if they *****ed I'd just give them the phone number to my legal counsel and ask if they really wanted to go there.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    thats where condo's are always a pita.. Not sure about Illinois but for what they cost around Va beach, you can buy a detached home and fix whatever is needed on your own. Even if there is a hoa, all that usually has to be done is submit for approval if there is a change in appearance. maintenance is usually a non issue (at least it is with the hoa I'm now a part of ) .. Its only when construction or a large scale appearance change is made that they get itchy.

You know that water build up in your garage can and probably is contributing to mold/mildew and has the potential for a HUGE health hazard. Have you talked with a lawyer about it? The hoa ignoring you IS illegal.. read over your agreement again and contact a lawyer. If you bought/own (renters fall under different rules but same health issue still applies) they're ignorance is destroying your personal property.

Or what I'd do is document the water and any other damage, fix the damned thing myself.. if they *****ed I'd just give them the phone number to my legal counsel and ask if they really wanted to go there.
    The problem is if I were to try and fix it myself, The road work would also end up blocking 4-5 other garage's access. They said they will look into it while fixing the roads the last time I called but they fixed the pot holes and no word from them on my issue. I will call again and bring up the health issue not to mention my baby's tires sitting in still water. Leaves annoying water marks.

I will have to take pictures next time it rains enough. One thing that seriously pissed me off is when the guy said, "well we did just have a large rain storm." Like it is ok that my garage floods as long as it's a "large rain storm." The sewers aren't backing up, it's only my garage under water!

But ya, my condo complex has a majority of old people so many of the rules as it is are very geared toward older people. I love the monthly newsletter complaining about kids drawing on the sidewalk with chalk. I always imagine the typical old guy yelling at that kid, "GET OFF MY LAWN!....SIDEWALK!"
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast