I'm new, eh?! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm new, eh?! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Falseidolsfall So, I'm getting my 18x9s and doing a serious drop. That will just be for my ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Falseidolsfall View Post
    So, I'm getting my 18x9s and doing a serious drop. That will just be for my daily driving, and my current wheels will eventually be used for the track and/or auto-x.

You're likely gonna rub unless you roll your fenders.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I won't be sitting low enough to the point where I'm scraping everything under the car. That's no fun at all. I want it to just be low enough to where everything looks good and I'm comfortable with it, you know

zax
    no, with 18x9s and lowering springs you'll rub the side of the fenders on bumps and turns. you will need to roll your fenders to counteract. Don't run excessive negative camber to fix this either, you'll just experience accelerated tire wear and the car will be unstable

Facebook me here

Welcome to ClubWRX!

Any better shots of your purple rims?
    It's awesome that the car is tuned. A lot of peoples first post is to say they've got a turbo back and don't mention a tune, and when asked about it have no clue.

8" (or maybe 8.5") wheels are really as wide as you'll want to go, there just isn't enough room under a second Gen Impreza to go any wider. At this size the fenders will need to be rolled. To go any wider major fender work will be required.

Please take a look at the links in my signature ^_^
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 08-24-2010 at 12:18 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the Club!

I'm new, eh?!
    ^^ I thought you were Canadian ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    That was my first thought too

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Greetings and welcome to the Club!

LMAO
    No no, I'm from Louisiana!

And I see where you guys are coming from. I had an idea I would need to roll the fenders but if you are saying 18x8 is good enough to run then that's probably what I'll end up doing. I just want a nice look/stance with some good concaved wheels that have a good offset.

As far as the tune, yeh that was one of the first things that I did to the car. I'm getting my down pipe and everything else to go along with my cat back exhaust probably within a week or two. Then i'll move on to Stage 2 Open Source. I'll run that until I get Cobb Access Port. I like open source but i'd rather be able to control my car with Cobb on the go.

My main concern right now is performance and improving handling on my car. A Subaru already has a great look to it so exterior things can wait for a while.

This is my old ride: (a little dirty)

This is my before&after of my wheels that are currently on the Subaru :

And this is a couple photos of the wheels on the subaru (sorry for the way the camera took the photos, it made the wheels look really dark)

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I just want a nice look/stance with some good concaved wheels that have a good offset
    This isn't going to happen. That concave'ness is a feature of running improper offsets.

You said your main concern was performance and handling, but you need to keep in mind that the "stance is everything" people are not in it for that. They run their setups most often at performance and functionality's expense.

But then again, my input or thoughts are "unnecessary".

As far as the tune, yeh that was one of the first things that I did to the car. I'm getting my down pipe and everything else to go along with my cat back exhaust probably within a week or two. Then i'll move on to Stage 2 Open Source. I'll run that until I get Cobb Access Port. I like open source but i'd rather be able to control my car with Cobb on the go.
    Are you going to be switching maps often? I ask because this is the only benefit that the AP has over OS that you'd likely ever experience. Many people may not deem that worthy of the extra cost in buying the AP.
    Last edited by brfatal; 08-24-2010 at 02:06 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    LMAO
    No no, I'm from Louisiana!
    There has been some cross border banter recently: So, umm, where's all the Canadians?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome , nice lookin scooby and wheels
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    This isn't going to happen. That concave'ness is a feature of running improper offsets.

You said your main concern was performance and handling, but you need to keep in mind that the "stance is everything" people are not in it for that. They run their setups most often at performance and functionality's expense.

But then again, my input or thoughts are "unnecessary".

Are you going to be switching maps often? I ask because this is the only benefit that the AP has over OS that you'd likely ever experience. Many people may not deem that worthy of the extra cost in buying the AP.
    I just took offense to what was said. It's the internet, hard to read people and the way they say things. I'm just looking to get advice, and upgrade my car the right way. I understand the people that say "stance is everything" typically don't care for speed and whatnot. I have a friend that has an Honda S2000 that has the car sitting so low, with rolled fenders and the tires stick out about an inch or two from the fenders. I don't want it that extreme. I suppose I just want my car to be lowered, with some nice wheels and having the tires flush with the fender. Looking good but not causing damage. That's why I'm hoping the 18x8's will be better for daily driving or for a show or something. By no means do I want to hurt my car at all.

As far as the AP, I'm not sure if I'll be switching maps. I haven't looked too much into that just yet. I'm trying to get the rest of my piping for the car and then I was going to look more into the AP. I just know you can do different things with it, put the car in economy mode, change things on the go and everything. OS is good, but I don't have a computer, so a friend of mine had put the stage 1 on the car. I had a macbook pro but recently got rid of it. So I have nothing to flash the car or anything. That's my disadvantage. That's one of the reasons why I would want cobb so it could be easy to take it off and put it back on, no having to wait on someone to have time for it. I have a friend of mine that owns a shop around town. He gets performance parts, wheels, racing seats, any kind of thing cheaper than what you get on the internet and they get free overnight shipping. So I know he could get me a deal on the AP, it's just a matter when I can come up with the money.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    As far as the AP, I'm not sure if I'll be switching maps. I haven't looked too much into that just yet. I'm trying to get the rest of my piping for the car and then I was going to look more into the AP. I just know you can do different things with it, put the car in economy mode, change things on the go and everything. OS is good, but I don't have a computer, so a friend of mine had put the stage 1 on the car. I had a macbook pro but recently got rid of it. So I have nothing to flash the car or anything. That's my disadvantage. That's one of the reasons why I would want cobb so it could be easy to take it off and put it back on, no having to wait on someone to have time for it. I have a friend of mine that owns a shop around town. He gets performance parts, wheels, racing seats, any kind of thing cheaper than what you get on the internet and they get free overnight shipping. So I know he could get me a deal on the AP, it's just a matter when I can come up with the money.
    The economy map has long proven fruitless when compared to just maintaining control of your foot on your regular tune. Gas savings are in the technique, not the tune (in most cases). You can't change things on the go with the AP either (altering maps requires a computer and only the UTEC can switch maps on-the-fly). You will have to get retuned no matter if it's an AP or OS as you expand your mod list or to make corrections (thought it's actually more tedious to remove CELs with the AP since that's has to be integrated into the tune where as you can disable them on the spot with OS). As someone who has used both, the fact that you don't need to lug around a laptop is the only advantage the AP holds. Not having a laptop isn't a big problem unless your constantly logging or wanting to play with your maps (in which case you'd really want one even with an AP). I have an AP that hasn't left its box since I got tune a year and a half ago. OS is cheaper and in some ways more capable.
    Last edited by brfatal; 08-24-2010 at 03:03 PM.

zax
    In many cases, an opensource + a professional tune will run you around the same cost as an AP. Personally, I would wait until you go 3" exhaust and get a pro tune.

Facebook me here

To expand on what brfatal said about the economy maps. They are just normal maps, except the waste gate is set to open at 7psi instead of 14+psi.

A professional tune (street or dyno) will yield better results on the whole.

If daily fuel economy is something you watch, I'd suggest going with 7-7.5" rims with 225mm wide rubber. The fatter the rubber, and heavier the rims the more fuel your engine will consume pulling them around. Also at that size you wouldn't need to roll the fenders at all

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast