2011 wrx or used STI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx or used STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys!!! as you can see im new here and man am i excited.. My dad is giving me 30k ...

2011 wrx or used STI

Hey guys!!! as you can see im new here and man am i excited..

My dad is giving me 30k to buy a new car with, and ive pretty much narrowed it down to it being a subaru!!

Im currently a scion tc owner..and im sure the subaru change will be a good one

I'm just a little caught up with making my decision, and would love any input. I originally wanted a 2011 wrx limited(leaning towards the sedan) in white vs. a used STI hatch. Keep in mind i have around 30k maybe a little more to dish out on the car.

What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rynzilla View Post
    Hey guys!!! as you can see im new here and man am i excited..

My dad is giving me 30k to buy a new car with

I'm just a little caught up with making my decision.

What do you guys think?
    i think you should ask your father since it's his money.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

thanks but i already got his advice, and seen both cars.. he says its up to me.. just wanted some thoughts

Few things to ask yourself:

What are your goals for the car? Do you plan to race it at all? AutoX? Or is it going to be your daily driver?

A car costs as much to own as it does to buy. Is your dad picking up the tab on the insurance and taxes as well?

How hard are you willing to look for a used STi?

Short and sweet answers to the above questions would be:

If it's your daily driver get a WRX and be more than happy. If you NEED the power and suspension upgrades and feel you will use them to their potential, look into an STi.

STi's are among the most expensive cars to insure. If you are paying that insurance yourself you need to get some quotes and see what is reasonable.

Finding a good, clean, used STi is tough! By clean I don't mean interior... well, I do but what I really mean is something stock or close to stock. Unmolested. Whatever STi you look at, make sure you check the carfax up and down and if it has had more than one previous owner I would be pretty suspicious.

I was in a similar boat as you and spent half a year looking at used STi's from 04-08's. After a lot of consideration I ended up deciding that a new WRX was just a much smarter choice. A $25k new WRX costs much less than a $25k used STi. Don't fall for thinking the price on the sticker is what you will pay. A full 36,000 bumper to bumper, 60k powertrain plus the security of knowing that I treated the car right from day one goes a LONG way.

Don't get me wrong, I love STi's and the ones I test drove were a blast! However, I don't think I will get one until I can afford to just buy one outright new. Either that or find an absolute diamond in the rough used.

So, research research and research and make a good decision. Good Luck!
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    Few things to ask yourself:

What are your goals for the car? Do you plan to race it at all? AutoX? Or is it going to be your daily driver?

A car costs as much to own as it does to buy. Is your dad picking up the tab on the insurance and taxes as well?

How hard are you willing to look for a used STi?

Short and sweet answers to the above questions would be:

If it's your daily driver get a WRX and be more than happy. If you NEED the power and suspension upgrades and feel you will use them to their potential, look into an STi.

STi's are among the most expensive cars to insure. If you are paying that insurance yourself you need to get some quotes and see what is reasonable.

Finding a good, clean, used STi is tough! By clean I don't mean interior... well, I do but what I really mean is something stock or close to stock. Unmolested. Whatever STi you look at, make sure you check the carfax up and down and if it has had more than one previous owner I would be pretty suspicious.

I was in a similar boat as you and spent half a year looking at used STi's from 04-08's. After a lot of consideration I ended up deciding that a new WRX was just a much smarter choice. A $25k new WRX costs much less than a $25k used STi. Don't fall for thinking the price on the sticker is what you will pay. A full 36,000 bumper to bumper, 60k powertrain plus the security of knowing that I treated the car right from day one goes a LONG way.

Don't get me wrong, I love STi's and the ones I test drove were a blast! However, I don't think I will get one until I can afford to just buy one outright new. Either that or find an absolute diamond in the rough used.

So, research research and research and make a good decision. Good Luck!

I went through the same dilemma and ended up with a new WRX. This sums up my reasoning completely. Not to mention the low interest rates you can get on a new car vs. used.

I personally would choose the STI over the WRX, only because I like the extra power, suspension upgrades, 6 speed, and it can handle more power $ for $ than a WRX. You won't go wrong with a new WRX though as they are great cars, but if it's a car you're thinking of doing upgrades to you might as well start on a better platform. It would take a lot of money to make a WRX par with an STI, especially the handling, power and feel but if you're just looking for a nice daily car that goes like snot, looks great, and get decent fuel economy, the WRX is it.

Good luck in your choice.
    Last edited by Cdn.Dave; 08-24-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: i cant speel and punktchuate proply, need edukashon.

yeah im gonna be using this car as my daily driver.. i didnt get insurance quotes yet but how much of a difference can a brand new 2011 wrx vs a used sti be?

yeah im gonna be using this car as my daily driver.. i didnt get insurance quotes yet but how much of a difference can a brand new 2011 wrx vs a used sti be?

Well my insurance for my 2008 WRX is about $196 for 10 months, most people say thats pretty cheep, though i am 20 years old.

But i couldn't tell you how much it would be for a used STI depends on year but the price wouldn't change that much between years.

For ****s n giggles I just did an insurance quote with my current insurance company, ( 500 deductible for collision, 250 for comp on both ) for a 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Base with a declared value of $30,000, my monthly premium is $106

My monthly premium on a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI base, with a declared value of $30,000, same deductibles is $102.

Not much difference in my case ( 27 years old, married, no accidents, clean abstract, 11 years driving, 7 years continuous coverage ), but the STI is cheaper and you may find the similar is true in your case. Get some quotes from a few different companies. Play with the deductibles and liabilities, see what numbers work for you.

If just a daily driver is for you, go for the 2011 WRX, as it has some upgrade suspension components and more aggressive styling it's a damn fine car!

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn.Dave View Post
    For ****s n giggles I just did an insurance quote with my current insurance company, ( 500 deductible for collision, 250 for comp on both ) for a 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Base with a declared value of $30,000, my monthly premium is $106

My monthly premium on a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI base, with a declared value of $30,000, same deductibles is $102.

Not much difference in my case ( 27 years old, married, no accidents, clean abstract, 11 years driving, 7 years continuous coverage ), but the STI is cheaper and you may find the similar is true in your case. Get some quotes from a few different companies. Play with the deductibles and liabilities, see what numbers work for you.

If just a daily driver is for you, go for the 2011 WRX, as it has some upgrade suspension components and more aggressive styling it's a damn fine car!

WOw thats really nice payments, what insurance company do you have?

I have my insurance thru AMA ( Alberta Motor Association )

I was pleasantly surprised to see such a low premium on these cars, but no complaints at all.

I currently pay $114/month for a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria P71, much much lower value, but a higher premium...go figure!?

Are you planning on serious track time? Stripping the car for full time track duty?

A used STI in good condition is hard to find, if you go that route get that thing checked out THOROUGHLY before you purchase it. Don't buy it as-is either. Personally, I'd always rather have a new car. When I was shopping over winter due to fear of being totaled out by my insurance (I got nailed in the snow and spun out into a snowbank) and I honestly could not justify the price premium and insurance premium on the STI. Would an STI be nice? Hell yeah, but it would have cost me over $10k more at the time and there's no way I would be utilizing the more advanced suspension and driveline (DCCD).

A new WRX is a BARGAIN in mine and many others' opinions.

Your father is doing you an enormous favor here, don't be a spoiled prick and spend it ALL. If he wants you to spend all of it, invest in a turboback and tune after you get brand new WRX.
    Last edited by OrbitalEllipses; 08-24-2010 at 03:03 AM.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the only person who can answer that is your insurance agent. our quotes will be 100% irrelevant to you since there are so many factors.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I would recommend the WRX. If you tell your dad you want the cheaper, less powerful, less to insure car I think he'd feel you were being responsible. That goes a long way.

And if he's paying for the car I'm assuming you don't have much money to mod it or take it to the track. So I think the best fit for you is the WRX.

But be sure to test drive as well as check out some other cars just for comparison. Mazdaspeed 3's and Evo X's are both worth a comparison IMO since you mention both the hatch and sedan, and they fall into the same budget and performance specs.

7n7
    The biggest thing I have been able to take away from reading on these forums would have to be....

Go new, if you go used make sure you know all the history about the car ESPECIALLY if it has mods because it usually means it was driven hard.

I inquired about a buddie's used wrx and got a simple "stay away" and now i'm going to be going new '11. Even if a car looks like it is in good condition, you never know what's going on internally. I would never want to buy my current car off someone because I know how hard I drove it.

Just think, you get a sweet STI and boom (literally boom if the engine blows up on you). Then you don't have a ride and have to either borrow your parent's car or bum rides (which would suck).

In the end it is up to you, i would just recommend taking the professional advice some of the senior members are giving you.

Good luck though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.