new guy, new wrx! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on new guy, new wrx! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, been really slackin' on updates, but really not much going on lately. I bought my dream car a ...

Hey guys, been really slackin' on updates, but really not much going on lately. I bought my dream car a few months ago and picked it up in May, so I have been spending a lot of time with her

The last few weeks I bought a few things for the Sube. I was getting really tired of seeing my busted-ass front lip, and those boring black side skirts. I found some color matched STi side skirts, and made the jump to the dual lip setup. I found a prodrive rep, and v-limited lips on ebay and grabbed them. I really like the look for the car now, especially with the color matched skirts, just seems to flow better IMO. With the new lips installed, my frontend is less than 4" off the ground now lol. Also picked up a catted, divorced Invidia downpipe in hopes of cutting down exhaust volume - it IS quieter, but not a whole lot, may swap in an STi axelback and try that out.

Everyone likes to look at pictures, so here are a few from over the last couple weeks.

Found these on Kijiji, a few hours from my place

Color matched the wheel well trim

Prodrive Rep installed - Will eventually color match with the rest of the car

V-limited being prepared for install

Wagonstar give'n me a hand mounting the lips - Thanks again man!

Scaping on my driveway now

My two ladies together

Downpipe side-by-side - HKS and Catted Invidia

Last but not least, after a good bath

That's about it for now, going to be picking up some more exhaust parts soon, PnP headers, grimmspeed crossover pipe, heat wrap, and see how fast my setup will spool-up, can't wait!
    Protuned VF39'd Bugeye WRX - 262awhp / 257awtq @ 20psi - My Build Thread!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Time for another update. I have been grabbing parts here and there hoping to improve spool-up quickness, and low to mid range power and throttle response. I think it was the same day, or the follow day after my previous post, I grabbed real cheap STi catback, ported collector exhaust manifolds and Grimmspeed crossover pipe. I'm really over having a loud car, especially for my daily, so yet again I changed my setup. Same day, new manifolds and crossover were put on, the STi catback was installed, and I honestly couldn't be happier. The car sounds almost 100% stock, extremely quiet in the cabin - motor, turbo, intake and transmission mechanics are all I can hear now which is what I was shooting for. My Invidia Q300 catback is now for sale, and will be posted sometime soon after I can grab some photos of it. PM if you are interested.

The ported headers and crossover pipe seemed to really increase ease of exhaust gas flow, and I'm easily spooling 600-900rpm sooner - haven't really paid all that close attention to it - and most likely hitting full boost by early 4k. My butt dyno feels like it pulls harder mid to top end, and seems to hit full boost quicker and harder.

Anyways, here are a few photos...

Q300 on the left/STi on the right

Sizing up the STi axleback with the Q300 Midpipe - roughly 2 inches short

Headers/crosspipe and heatwrap w/ all new grimmspeed gaskets

All done - too bad the tip has two small dents

Any now a quick driveby - Wagonstar driving my car, quick little snap in 2nd gear. Audio to me makes it seem louder than it really is. This was shot earlier this afternoon.

Comments? Suggestions? Questions?

Nice work. What's the other ride you've got? Could it be a Skyline? hard to tell from that one picture.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    Nice work. What's the other ride you've got? Could it be a Skyline? hard to tell from that one picture.
    Yup, it sure is. Its an R32 GTR. Godzilla has now taken over my garage fulltime.

Sick. It's definitely one of my dream cars too but the WRX is the first stop on the list.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Not to take anything away from the GTR, it is an amazing car. I've wanted one for 10+ years and finally made it happen this year, but I can honestly say I enjoy my WRX more.

So this morning a package arrived for me - finally got my JDM Bugeye STi hoodscoop - something I should have bought in the first place. I still haven't tracked down a splitter to go with this so I modified my v8 STi splitter so it sat low enough to mount the new scoop. Unfortunately no pictures of the modified splitter, but basically it was cut along the top seam and bent down so it didn't sit as high. Then some angle iron was cut in bent 90 degrees so it sat in the new crease and popped a couple rivets in to keep the rigidity of the new bend. Seemed to work just fine, and it saved me from having to buy a new unit. Here are a few pictures from earlier today, really really like how this scoop looks, the veins make all the difference in the look for me.

Comparo between JDM v7 scoop and USDM v8 scoop

My old scoop is now available for sale. 04-05 STi style scoop for bugeyes - msg me if you are interested in it.

04-05 STi style hoodscoop for Bugeyes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234