Looking to buy a used WRX and have a few questions

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a used WRX and have a few questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all- I'm looking to trade in my 2006 Mazda RX8 on a used 2008 WRX. The RX8 has been ...

Mog

Looking to buy a used WRX and have a few questions

Hey all- I'm looking to trade in my 2006 Mazda RX8 on a used 2008 WRX. The RX8 has been wonderful for me, but I bought a new home on top of a steep hill last December, and even with good tires it had no shot of making it up when covered by snow. Basically I decided to find something sporty/fun to drive that could make it up the hill easily in winter, and the WRX seemed ideal. With that out of the way, a few questions:

1. I'm correct in assuming the WRX is good in snow, right? Having tripped all over myself climbing that hill a half dozen times last winter, I don't care to repeat the experience.

2. Warranty- I have two cars I'm looking at at local dealers. Both are 2008s, one with 15k miles and the other with 30k. Will the 3 year / 36k mile factory warranty will still be good on those?

3. Premium package- The listings for the two cars are below. I don't think either has the premium package because neither mentions heated seats/premium audio, but I'd like to double check.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

4. Are there any specific issues (mechanical or whatnot) with the WRX that I should check out before buying?

5. Any ideas on price? I know this one will probably be impossible to answer, and I've done the usual comparative research (different listings, Edmunds, etc.), but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Many thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Aside from the fact that it's always generally better to get the later years in another 'generation' of a car, the 2008 did not get the 265hp engine that the 09+ are fitted with.

IMO its either '02-'07 or '09+...
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

Quote Originally Posted by Tenament View Post
    Aside from the fact that it's always generally better to get the later years in another 'generation' of a car, the 2008 did not get the 265hp engine that the 09+ are fitted with.

IMO its either '02-'07 or '09+...
    +1

If your gonna do it try to get a 2009.

And yes they do ok in the snow since they are AWD. Although I can't speak for people who live in places that get serious snow. Seattle snow is whimpy. I took mine up to the slopes last winter and had no problems, though.

I did the exact same thing you are thinking about doing, only a little different (does that make sense?). I had a 2004 RX8 GT and they are pretty much the worst thing ever in the snow until you learn how to drive them, then they still suck. I started calling around looking for used WRX's (06 and 07's, preferably an STi), the dealers said they were almost impossible to find (though I think they may have been lying.). One dealer asked if I was interested in a 2010 and after I found out the price and financing options and looking at pictures, I was hooked. The 09/10's are comparable in performance (1/4 mile and 0-60 times) as the 05-07 STi's. Although the STi's out perform the standard WRX in almost every other category.

Anyway, long story short, listen to everyone below me and go for the 09/10/11's. I did it and couldn't be happier. Although I now want a 2011, so I suppose I could be happier.

Good luck with the purchase, it's worth it.
    Last edited by nc.wiles; 08-19-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    2010 -White Pearl
    Factory STi Short Throw (Dealer installed)

As previously mentioned, definitely go for either 06/07 or 09+, I'm getting a 2011 STI pretty soon, hopefully. Every last one here in Alberta has been called for though...Grr!! and with the new prices SOC has on the WRX/STI's you can't go wrong.

that being said, get a blobeye (04/05) STi and spend the rest on suspension mods. You'll have a snow eatin' machine .
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II