Help with choosing car for learning stick
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help with choosing car for learning stick within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I was wondering Im looking into maybe buying some kind of used manual impreza rs or wrx or even ...

Help with choosing car for learning stick

Hey, I was wondering Im looking into maybe buying some kind of used manual impreza rs or wrx or even maybe a regular one, to learn how to drive manual and get it down pat before I purshase a brand new STI of the lot in the future. What year and trim would you guys recomend for me to look into getting so I could learn how to drive manual good. Or perphaps some other brand of car that would be cheap and wouldnt be that painful to torture it a little and get better.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have a car now, keep it even if it's automatic. If you need a car, buy something inexpensive and reliable. This usually means Japanese econobox with full service history from a single owner, ideally still under warranty.

Are you in school? Driver's ed classes are free in schools, and even paying a few hundred dollars for driving lessons is much, much cheaper than getting a car with which to learn.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you for the reply, I currently have a good reliable automatic car that will last me for a good amount of time. Im going to college and i dont really know if they have any drivers ed classes. About the paid lessons I would like to do that but when I call around the driving schools in my area they all need for me to provide a manual car I cant find a driving school that provides a car with stick

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah, OK, a college would not have classes; a high school would. Keep looking for classes because a reliable car -- like you said you have -- in college is gold, so I'd think you'd want to hold onto it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm deffinatly going to hang on to my reliable car lol I'm gonna need it for the whole college, but I'm going to try to keep my search going perphaps someone will advertise somewhere with the use of there own car for teaching or some driving school will pop up, I just really want to learn it.

2 options: either make friends with a manual owner - check with your friends or even the local subaru club - they might let you learn on a wrx for the low, low price of some pizza/beer (or, if they're nasty and you're bad, a new clutch :P )

or the dumb option, which I'm probably going to end up doing - buy the car you want, learn on the drive home.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I would hold off buying a manual car just to learn how to drive it. After paying for insurance and taxes, you will be spending a lot more money than you think just to learn how to drive a stick.

Once you learn the concept of driving a stick, it's pretty easy. In high school I jumped in the car with a friend of mine (first time driving a stick) and just pulled right out. Sure I killed it a few times during the drive, but it's actually pretty easy with a decent teacher.

My first stick was a 2000 S-10 Extreme. After I purchased it, I had my Dad drive it home from the owners house (Memorial Day weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks) because I didn't want to risk stalling it in holiday traffic. Once I got it home, I jumped in it and drove it up and down my lake road the whole weekend until I could get it licensed on the following Tuesday. By the end of the weekend, I was golden at driving a stick.

Long story short, I would:

1- Find a friend who has a stick that is in good condition (so you wont fry his clutch and have to buy a new one for him).

2- Find a big slow parking lot.

3- Get decent at driving it.

4- Drive it to the closest liquor store and buy a case of beer.

5- Drive your friend back home.

6- Drink the beer.

Repeat as needed.
    2010 -White Pearl
    Factory STi Short Throw (Dealer installed)

Quote Originally Posted by nc.wiles View Post
    6- Drink the beer.

Repeat as needed.
    Er...That might be a bad step by step to follow.

When I bought my car, I met the seller up at the dealership to have a mechanic check out the car, and then learned how to drive it on the way home. Of course, I had messed around with manuals a couple times (but never got to the point where I could consistently drive it without stalling) Got it home without stalling once, and a couple days later I was driving like anybody else
    -Holden
    Bugeye wagon - ERZ Uppipe - TurboXS Axleback - Swift Springs - JNA Lip

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    2 options: either make friends with a manual owner - check with your friends or even the local subaru club - they might let you learn on a wrx for the low, low price of some pizza/beer (or, if they're nasty and you're bad, a new clutch :P )

or the dumb option, which I'm probably going to end up doing - buy the car you want, learn on the drive home.
    I would ask someone but I dont want to mess up there car, I understand that I will mess up the clutch if not a lot but still ill mess it up and its there car I would feel bad.

about the dumb option lol if I have to end up doing that ill put a new clutch in reserve for me already the day I pick up the car

[QUOTE=nc.wiles;2656889]I would hold off buying a manual car just to learn how to drive it. After paying for insurance and taxes, you will be spending a lot more money than you think just to learn how to drive a stick.

Once you learn the concept of driving a stick, it's pretty easy. In high school I jumped in the car with a friend of mine (first time driving a stick) and just pulled right out. Sure I killed it a few times during the drive, but it's actually pretty easy with a decent teacher.

My first stick was a 2000 S-10 Extreme. After I purchased it, I had my Dad drive it home from the owners house (Memorial Day weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks) because I didn't want to risk stalling it in holiday traffic. Once I got it home, I jumped in it and drove it up and down my lake road the whole weekend until I could get it licensed on the following Tuesday. By the end of the weekend, I was golden at driving a stick.

Long story short, I would:

1- Find a friend who has a stick that is in good condition (so you wont fry his clutch and have to buy a new one for him).

2- Find a big slow parking lot.

3- Get decent at driving it.

4- Drive it to the closest liquor store and buy a case of beer.

5- Drive your friend back home.

6- Drink the beer.

Repeat as needed.[/QUOTE

Before I even get behind the wheel of a new subaru im going to try to make sure im decent at driving, Ill have someone who knows how to drive well pick up the car from the dealership and then wait till Im good enough to start driving it, but having a new subaru STI in the driveway will surely motivate me to learn quicker =)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureOwnerSTI View Post
    Before I even get behind the wheel of a new subaru im going to try to make sure im decent at driving, Ill have someone who knows how to drive well pick up the car from the dealership and then wait till Im good enough to start driving it, but having a new subaru STI in the driveway will surely motivate me to learn quicker =)
    personally, I can't imagine the temptation of having an sti in the driveway and not be able to drive it... seems like torture...
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

depending on where you live, you may be able to find a car rental company that has a manual lying around for you to learn on. i would stay away from the large fleet companies like enterprise, hertz, etc. smaller rental companies, mom and pop type places, check them out. also, a lot of times, mechanics will have loaner cars for their customers when they are getting huge repairs done. if you have a reliable mechanic that works on your vehicle, i would ask him if he has a loaner or anyone he knows has one that you could "rent" to learn to drive stick.

hope that helps. i dont know if it is totally necessary for you to be a pro when you buy to your sti, its just gonna save you embarassment of stalling when pulling out of the dealer in your $35000 car...
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    depending on where you live, you may be able to find a car rental company that has a manual lying around for you to learn on. i would stay away from the large fleet companies like enterprise, hertz, etc. smaller rental companies, mom and pop type places, check them out. also, a lot of times, mechanics will have loaner cars for their customers when they are getting huge repairs done. if you have a reliable mechanic that works on your vehicle, i would ask him if he has a loaner or anyone he knows has one that you could "rent" to learn to drive stick.

hope that helps. i dont know if it is totally necessary for you to be a pro when you buy to your sti, its just gonna save you embarassment of stalling when pulling out of the dealer in your $35000 car...
    If I cant drive without stalling I wont be the one driving the sti home lol

Quote Originally Posted by FutureOwnerSTI

I found the best way to learn was with my own car. Too afraid of messing up my friends cars to really get comfortable enough. They're not as fragile as you think.

The best tip I ever got was to practice getting the car moving with no gas at all. Just slowly let out the clutch until you get a feel for its engage point and hold it there until you start rolling. Then you can add some gas to get moving quicker as you get better.
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX
    http://www.rapidcars.com

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    so wait, let me get this straight. You don't know how to drive stick, so you want to 1. Buy an STi then 2. Buy an Impreza JUST to learn manual? I'm not finance expert, but that seems like a terrible waste of money.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.