Help with choosing car for learning stick - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Help with choosing car for learning stick within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; if you have a friend that knows how to drive a stick you could get him to schedule a test ...

if you have a friend that knows how to drive a stick you could get him to schedule a test drive on a used car, have him drive it out of the parking lot, and its all you from there. lol just dont beat on it. youll get the hang of driving a manual in no time.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't think you really need to be as worried as you are about frying someone's clutch. If they are a good teacher and teach you to get the car started without even touching the gas... I doubt you'll do any damage.

I taught my sister to drive stick on my WRX (right before I was going to go get the clutch replaced anyways... but that's beside the point ). Anyways, she never even stalled it once.

Another good thought is to find a 4WD vehicle like a Tacoma or 4Runner. Not only are trucks a bit more forgiving with the clutch, you can always put it in 4-low and it becomes almost impossible to stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    If you are looking for a recommendation for a specific car to learn manual on, I would see if you have any friends or acquaintances with a Volkswagen. Every VW I've ever driven (Jetta/GTI) has had an almost laughably easy clutch to use. Stalling it would take an act of congress!

However, that may give a false sense of security and when you drive a car with a more vigorous clutch it will be a shock.

No matter what you do though, if you have someone experienced with you to show you the ropes it should just take a couple hours to get the basic grasp of it. Really the most difficult thing is learn how to stop and then start going again on a hill. Find a remote one (small one) and practice on there until you can smoothly and quickly release the brake, apply gas and let out the clutch to go. Needs to be second nature when you have a car behind you.
    Thank you everyone for the replies, I dont really have any friends with manual cars there all sitting on automatics, Im going to try to look for a cheap manual car such as you suggested a jetta or a civic or some car of that sort and learn on it. I just dont know how much there priced, have to look into that to get the best deal, prob going to go for millage range into the 100,000 and year something in the 1990s cause Im looking around and most cars in the 2000s and up are quite pricy for just to buy and learn

People who can drive a stick love to show off. Post a note on a bulletin board on campus asking for someone to teach you to drive their manual transmission car.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter20ga View Post
    People who can drive a stick love to show off. Post a note on a bulletin board on campus asking for someone to teach you to drive their manual transmission car.
    haha +1
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

Thats brilliant actually. Throw in that you'll take them out for pizza and beer afterwards and the phone will start ringing off the hook.

Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar
    Better yet, learn on a motorcycle!

You may think I'm kidding. I'm not.

I paid $450 to a Harley Davidson dealership that offered a motorcycle class. I failed it the first time, so they let me take it again for free. I passed on the second time and got my motorcycle license. Before this class, I had never been on a bike OR driven a stick. The reason I suggest this is: it gets your brain into the understanding of gearing.

When your left foot has to decide when to let out the clutch, you haven't had the opportunity to teach your left hand, first. On a bike, you are using both feet and both hands, all while being completely aware of yourself in space--your balance, your surroundings, and your gearing are all important to staying upright and safe. Gearing in a car is MUCH easier after your brain has figured out how to be completely, 100% involved in the operation of a motorcycle. Plus, since you are literally on top of the engine, you understand how downshifting affects torque and spooling in a VERY REAL SENSE, and helps one to appreciate the gravity of mechanical resistance--something that automatic 'cages' can't teach (until you are in an accident).

I went from a motorcycle to a manual car in little to no time at all. My feet and hands and brain were already acclimated to making decisions without lots of processing because of the motorcycling. It's muscle memory, and the only way you learn it is practice, practice, practice.
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

I Support ClubWRX
    come to think of it... I did learn how to drive a manual transmission on a Honda 400EX ATV.... Not a bad idea!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I learned on a Kenworth when I was 8 years old. Now I have to drive with my seat as far back as possible because I'm used to stretching to reach the pedals. If I was you I'd try and get my hands on some kind of Honda made in the last decade. First stick I owned was an 02' Civic and the gear box shifted like butter!

I need new bushings on my WRX, can't stand how loose the stock shifter is

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123