Another newb
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Another newb within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I made a spur of the moment trade and now have a 2002 WRX Wagon. I really don't ...

Another newb

Hey guys, I made a spur of the moment trade and now have a 2002 WRX Wagon. I really don't know much about it except that it has an SPT exhaust, and a turbo timer. I love the way it drives, I just want to make sure that it keeps doing that for a long time! I am going to start trying to figure out what kind of equipment is installed as soon as I take care of the basics (change fluids, filters, etc). I do have one issue that has to be handled right away. It has a head light out, and they are HID. So, I have to figure out where to get a bulb, and how to replace it.
    Looking forward to driving the heck out of this thing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome!

Can you get us a full list of modifications? If not... some detailed pictures of the engine bay (especially the turbo area and intercooler area) and suspension would be great. I'll bet there's more done to the car than just what the owner told you. That seems to be a habit with the 02's.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. +1 to sinister. HIDs didn't come on 02s so... Clearly been some changes made.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    welcome!

Can you get us a full list of modifications? If not... some detailed pictures of the engine bay (especially the turbo area and intercooler area) and suspension would be great. I'll bet there's more done to the car than just what the owner told you. That seems to be a habit with the 02's.
    Thanks for taking a look. After reading some on the forum I can see that I can go ahead and get rid of the BOV and Turbo Timer. I would also like to get rid of the exhaust. I bet some kid around town will take all those parts off my hand! I also see that I need an up-pipe to protect the turbo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1256.jpg   100_1258.jpg   100_1260.jpg   100_1261.jpg   100_1259.jpg  

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    hmm... no heatshield on the downpipe. that leads me to believe it was once replaced & then put back to stock. (unless there's an aftermarket one on there- i cant really tell from the pictures but it looks like the factory catted DP)

also has an sti intake manifold (or judging by the red chipping off- maybe he painted the OEM one)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    hmm... no heatshield on the downpipe. that leads me to believe it was once replaced & then put back to stock. (unless there's an aftermarket one on there- i cant really tell from the pictures but it looks like the factory catted DP)

also has an sti intake manifold (or judging by the red chipping off- maybe he painted the OEM one)
    The intake has no markings that I can see, so I bet he painted the stock one. The cat on the DP says "SUBARU", so I agree that it must be stock too. I have done a little more reading/inspection this morning and have come to the conclusion that I have a flex joint UP, and a cat back exhaust. I base that on seeing the flex joint in the up pipe, and the fact that the exhaust pipe after the cat looks like new stainless steel. Do I need to replace the heat shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstwowheels View Post
    The intake has no markings that I can see, so I bet he painted the stock one. The cat on the DP says "SUBARU", so I agree that it must be stock too. I have done a little more reading/inspection this morning and have come to the conclusion that I have a flex joint UP, and a cat back exhaust. I base that on seeing the flex joint in the up pipe, and the fact that the exhaust pipe after the cat looks like new stainless steel. Do I need to replace the heat shield?
    Ya I would put a heat shield back on it. You can either buy a OEM one or SPT makes a nice one that isnt flimsy and looks good.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    He painted the stock mani. The powdercoating would not be coming off the STi mani like that. You can clearly see the crinkle silver where the red is peeling

but +1 on either having an aftermarket turbo and/or aftermarket DP installed at one point.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yikes man. What did you trade for this bugeye? Someone was messing with the car badly. How is it driving under boost? Those brakes don't look very good to me. Did you have it inspected by a mechanic.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Yikes man. What did you trade for this bugeye? Someone was messing with the car badly. How is it driving under boost? Those brakes don't look very good to me. Did you have it inspected by a mechanic.
    What did I trade? An old Jeep

Messing with it badly. I agree

How does it drive under boost? I'm not even qualified to answer that question. I came from an old Jeep with a top speed of 70mph. To me, it drives nice. It is fast, pretty responsive, and handles well.

Did I have it inspected? No

I have read for hours on this forum and others and cannot come to any conclusions about how to get where I want to be. Where do I want to be? I am happy with the power, I just want it to be reliable, and as powerful as it can be without serious modifications. I would love to take it somewhere local and have it looked at by an educated individual to make sure that I do not have any incompatible parts, and to identify some minor thing that might make it run much better. I cannot seem to locate that individual though, GOOGLE has not been my friend. One thing that I have noticed is that on the added boost guage I rarely see positive boost numbers. Who knows if the guage is accurate though. Some times in third or fourth gear at WOT I will see 8 pounds of boost.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.