THAT'S why it was so cheap!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on THAT'S why it was so cheap! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, folks! Don't be a dumb ass like me! I bought my '05 WRX Wagon for 00 with only 64k ...

Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar

THAT'S why it was so cheap!

Hey, folks! Don't be a dumb ass like me!

I bought my '05 WRX Wagon for $9500 with only 64k on it. Too good to be true!

Yes!

I was having a rough idle and some seriously disturbing fuel economy (or lack thereof) but I also wanted to get some ideas about custom tuning/full exhaust, so I took it over to Speed Industries here in Michigan (an authorized Sooby-go-fast place). Guess what?!

Engine fire. IT HAD AN ENGINE FIRE.

A wire to my alternator is literally snapped in half. My vacuum hose plug is completely disconnected. There are things, um, taped together. A washer is missing from my oil pan and it's dripping (a little). A bracket is missing. Things were obviously put back in after the crispy aftermarket intake and turbo were taken out.

I kept thinking my clutch was burning and that's why I was smelling a weird smell, but I'll be honest, I have been known to be an aggressive clutch-er. No. The clutch is (probably) fine. The ENGINE smelled melty.

The good news? It runs. It's going to be okay (because if you throw enough money at anything, it will be okay). The guys over at Speed Industry were really friendly and helpful and respectful of my OBVIOUS lack of common sense. Basically, in two to three weeks, all will be well, including new exhaust and a tune. And my fuel economy can only improve!

I did, however, learn a very important lesson. And the lesson is: understand when it is appropriate to see electrical tape in an engine bay, and when it is not.
    Last edited by Fritz_the_Chick; 08-12-2010 at 07:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    wow i'm sorry to here that.

can you go after the dealer for not disclosing something like that or is it technically your responsibility to fully inspect the car before purchase? (i'm not really sure what the policy on that is- never bought a used car from a dealership before only privately)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

You must have some sort of recourse. I'm sure dealers are required to inspect the vehicle before they resell them, right? Hope everything will be ok.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

Nah, it is the buyer's responsibility to really check these things out. Honestly, I probably would have still purchased if I had known in advance--it runs and the stock turbo and intake are fine. It wasn't totalled because the title wasn't rebuilt. It's just a little scary to hear someone say 'engine fire'; these are the consequences of having champagne taste on a beer budget. Max, $1000 repairs (if that!), and a tune and exhaust. After that gets done, I think I'll breathe easier.

Oh, well. The AC works really well!
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow. That sucks but at least you were able to take it somewhere to get it sorted out. And apparently have the means to get it done.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I'm starting to run out of means. The damn brake lines were melted, too. Now I'm pissed. It's one thing to be a stupid customer, but another thing to let someone drive off a lot with dangerous brakes.

So! Now I'm gonna replace the whole brake system, minus the master cylinder. Do STI brakes work on the WRX?

Also, my speedometer is no longer working. Oh, well. Guess I need new gauges, too. Jeez.

Anyone looking to hire? I have great f'ing people skills.
    Fast and Wrong.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry to read this ... I hope you are able to get it all fixed up without spending too much $$.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks, all. I will update.
    Fast and Wrong.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz_the_Chick View Post
    So! Now I'm gonna replace the whole brake system, minus the master cylinder. Do STI brakes work on the WRX?
    They do (under 17" wheels), but be prepared to shell out $2-3K for a pair of those used Brembos. A better alternative would be Legacy GT brakes. They will fit, though you will need to go to a 17" wheel as well. They will be easier and cheaper to find.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    They do (under 17" wheels), but be prepared to shell out $2-3K for a pair of those used Brembos. A better alternative would be Legacy GT brakes. They will fit, though you will need to go to a 17" wheel as well. They will be easier and cheaper to find.
    No Brembo's! I'm trying to get my master's!

So, Zax, if I'm hearing you right, I need 17's to do any kind of brake upgrade?

Gah. Maybe I'll stick to stock replacement for the time being.
    Fast and Wrong.

zax
    No Brembo's! I'm trying to get my master's!

So, Zax, if I'm hearing you right, I need 17's to do any kind of brake upgrade?

Gah. Maybe I'll stick to stock replacement for the time being.
    pick up a pair of 2006 front calipers, and LGT rear calipers/rotors. You won't need 17" wheels for this combo

Facebook me here

Wow.. really sorry to hear all of this

next time ya go looking at used cars, as we all learn from perfectly sharp hindsight..

1. bring a car friend that KNOWS insides n outs and what does n doesn't belong.
    2. hate to be cliche.. but RUN THE CARFAX.

if insurance was contacted at all it will be on a carfax report. For older cars (pre 2k) its not so accurate but for most newer its just about dead on unless the incident was never witnessed by anyone other than the first owner.

If you got this from a dealer and they inspected it with those bad brakes.. you should have some legal recourse. For gods sake they could have contributed to your death. Faulty brakes should not be taken lightly. Even if the state doesn't perform inspections there are still safety requirements that are mandatory by law.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    2. hate to be cliche.. but RUN THE CARFAX.
    I am so cheap, I decided to not do this and go with my belief that a female salesperson would not dupe me into a lemon. Cheese and crackers, that was stupid.

I think I am going to walk into Speed Industry, thrust $5k at them, and say "Call me when it's done."

The brake lines are not totally compromised, just weakened (cuz that's so much better). I think my husband feels crappy about the purchase, too, even though it was my final decision. He knows a lot about a lot of things; just not quite as much about engines. We both learned an expensive lesson. But if I pursue litigation, I may have to return the car. I know it sounds crazy but it runs and the mileage is super low. And it's better than the Mazda I was in two weeks ago.

So, we shall overcome. With scads of dollars. Thanks for the input, Mangostick, next time, I'll be smarter.
    Fast and Wrong.

zax
    I am so cheap, I decided to not do this and go with my belief that a female salesperson would not dupe me into a lemon. Cheese and crackers, that was stupid.

I think I am going to walk into Speed Industry, thrust $5k at them, and say "Call me when it's done."

The brake lines are not totally compromised, just weakened (cuz that's so much better). I think my husband feels crappy about the purchase, too, even though it was my final decision. He knows a lot about a lot of things; just not quite as much about engines. We both learned an expensive lesson. But if I pursue litigation, I may have to return the car. I know it sounds crazy but it runs and the mileage is super low. And it's better than the Mazda I was in two weeks ago.

So, we shall overcome. With scads of dollars. Thanks for the input, Mangostick, next time, I'll be smarter.
    If the brake lines are completely hosed, why not just replace with some SS brake lines and low BP brake fluid?

Facebook me here

i don't know how it works where you are, but in colorado there is a month grace period, if you buy a lemon, and its a POS you can force the dealer to take it back...

id look into it if i was you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.