THAT'S why it was so cheap! - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on THAT'S why it was so cheap! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Random stuff: New Kenwood radio with dash kit--looks very nice, in my opinion. Then, I took a pic of the ...

Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00789.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	90093

Name:	DSC00790.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	90094

Name:	DSC00786.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	90095

Name:	DSC00784.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	90096

Random stuff: New Kenwood radio with dash kit--looks very nice, in my opinion. Then, I took a pic of the new rotors and painted calipers--I'm using Hawk pads, currently. Firm bite.

Also: just a shot of the tower stress bar--engine needs a bath, I know. Check out the Perrin intake pipe, though. That was an improvement from the leaky stock intake!
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The drama continues.

So, we were having some issues with a noise. It was cranky rotational noise. I won't go into the sordid details, but the timing belt was the source of the problem--because my belt had gouges in it and a hole in the casing of the timing belt. This was because some ape with a wrench managed to squeeze the guides for the belt into a precarious state that allowed the belt to be scraped. Needless to say, I can't believe the car was actually still running at this point, much less not blowing a head.

But my trans was also slipping on the high end, so I opted to get the clutch replaced, too.

The motor was pulled. Guess what? The undercover that protects the clutch from the elements was gone. Missing. AWOL. Additionally, my fly wheel was completely rusted over (as was the clutch face). And because the motor was pulled, I got to see all sorts of fun stuff--like how my exhaust had not sealed very well, my O2 sensor was loose, and I have live wires in the harness that connects the interior lights in the ****pit. There are a couple of other things that were also wrong, but mostly smallish.

Furthermore, the clutch that I ordered came with a busted bearing. Nice. If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck.

The car is STILL getting worked on, because the several parts I had to order are things that should probably NEVER BREAK, so a lot of ordering occurred.

This isn't much, but you can check out my pics:

The clutch

The motor/flywheel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo-1.jpg   photo-2.JPG  
    Fast and Wrong.

Honestly, Im glad things are getting fixed for you but holy good god with the money you have spent you could have had a real nice 05-08 STi or something along those lines. Man I would have scrapped the car or purposely ran it into a lake or something. Good luck with the rest of the rebuild. You have more patience then I do, or maybe you just have a fairly deep wallet.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

I would've stopped dumping money into the car a loooonnnnng time ago and dumped it on somebody else, karma be damned. Good luck!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
    Honestly, Im glad things are getting fixed for you but holy good god with the money you have spent you could have had a real nice 05-08 STi or something along those lines. Man I would have scrapped the car or purposely ran it into a lake or something. Good luck with the rest of the rebuild. You have more patience then I do, or maybe you just have a fairly deep wallet.
    Believe me, this has been a trying time. I cry every time I see a decently priced STI; it's like the universe is mocking me. That being said, I know this car so well now that I almost feel--much like a Detroit Lion's fan--that I have somehow bonded with it through the agony.

I can't really talk about the money part without getting sick to my stomach. The guy who just did the work was a saint, and loves subarus, and really did this as a labor of love. So maybe I do have some decent karma.
    Fast and Wrong.

The car has come back to me. I had no idea Subaru's drove this well. Really. My whole baseline of operation continues to change as the car is restored and improved upon.

I haven't seen the car in three weeks, thanks to all the parts that were coming in from Japan over Thanksgiving, so my dear beloved husband managed to sneak in the K&N short ram intake while it was being worked on. So, um, it's punchy. Merry Festivus!

The new clutch is extremely aggressive and grabby; of course, I killed it upon first launch, and I'm going to have to get seriously used to barely lifting my foot off the clutch to engage, but that being said, it is one accelerated mo-fo.

Very exciting times. Next month? Sway bars and springs. Also, I'm finishing off the system--I need some boom boom.
    Last edited by Fritz_the_Chick; 12-10-2010 at 10:25 PM.
    Fast and Wrong.

Well Im glad things are turning around for you on the progress of bringing the Suby back to life. If and when you start the audio system here are some ideas you might want to try out, here is the link on nasioc. Good luck with everything.

Calling all custom-enclosured imprezas - NASIOC
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

wow i thought i had it bad

I bought my car and every thing was great until 2 moths later my radiator went my clutch, cv boot, front wheel bearing, and my rock and pinion boot but knowing you had it bad makes me feel a little better. Sorry to thrive off your misfortune but good luck with your scooby it seems to be getting there. I also agree with you on what you seed you do stat bonding with the car after it breaks all the money spent and time on a car makes it worth more to you when its all done.
    Time is short days go by way to fast so live up and drive fast so you can catch up with old man time

Quote Originally Posted by vmanFwrx View Post
    Sorry to thrive off your misfortune but good luck with your scooby it seems to be getting there.
    Erm, thanks?

The thing that is kinda-sorta vindicating about all this is that my car pretty much kicks ass. I've maxed it out to about 285 hp now, which is probably as much as it will get without upgrading the turbo.

Guess what I plan to do next spring?

That's right--upgrade the turbo.

Buh-bye!
    Fast and Wrong.

Thanks for the linky link on sub enclosures. My old man is an audiophile, so he is definitely looking for the next project. He got the SVT to competition audio level; I'm challenging him to a fiberglass project...it looks sweet when the sub is tucked in the corner of the trunk like that and the amps are sealed behind the back seats. Very tight.
    Fast and Wrong.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, what a rollercoaster journey! I'm glad you're getting it all sorted out but dayum, the engine fire and then it just keeps going...At least you're upgrading so it's not all that bad really! Hope it's smooth from here on out now, cars want to run, that's what they do!
    2006 CGM WRX TR
    2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #139
    www.idahosubie.com

Sounds like a RUSH of issues. Glad you got them sorted out
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Sounds like a RUSH of issues. Glad you got them sorted out
    PHHHHBBBBBTTT.

I can get this car into a lean, mean vacuum machine, but I cannot escape this RUSH blight! Thanks for reminding me!
    Fast and Wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.