THAT'S why it was so cheap! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on THAT'S why it was so cheap! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This makes me a bit scared im buying my wrx wagon tomorrow i will look harder tomorrow before i hand ...

This makes me a bit scared im buying my wrx wagon tomorrow i will look harder tomorrow before i hand over my cash.

good luck

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Salica View Post
    This makes me a bit scared im buying my wrx wagon tomorrow i will look harder tomorrow before i hand over my cash.

good luck
    If the guy directs you around for a test drive, and it's over very quickly, don't buy the car unless he lets you take it out longer.

Don't buy unless you get an obd scanner to say that I/M readiness is good AND there are no DTC's.

Don't buy without checking the engine before AND RIGHT AFTER a test drive - I nearly missed the oil leak my first time out.

And most importantly - If they're selling as-is, MAKE SURE it's good before you buy - whether that means taking it to a mechanic/subaru dealership, or in my case, bringing up my uncle, TAKE EXTREME CAUTION.

Best thing you can do - get them to guarantee it through inspection.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar

good luck
    I'd like to believe that most sellers are more ethical than the dealer I purchased my car from. However, that being said, I think that poly man makes a good point: it is worth your while to round up a mechanic friend or someone who owns a WRX to go with you when looking at potential cars. That would have saved me a lot of heartache.

When buying used, there's always a bit of a gamble. However, you can reduce the risk by doing a little bit of research beforehand. Use me as the example of why you should!
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

Hey guys,

Well I ended up reading through the whole section on buying a used Subaru. There was alot of great info but i felt alot of it was very intense(taking it to a body shop to rate the body and paint..). Either way I drove out last night to take one last look at the WRX wagon and asked a few more key questions then decided this was the car for me. I am now a happy WRX owner. Maintenance time, timing belt first haha geez that thing is expensive LOL

-Sal

Hey guys,

Well I ended up reading through the whole section on buying a used Subaru. There was alot of great info but i felt alot of it was very intense(taking it to a body shop to rate the body and paint..). Either way I drove out last night to take one last look at the WRX wagon and asked a few more key questions then decided this was the car for me. I am now a happy WRX owner. Maintenance time, timing belt first haha geez that thing is expensive LOL

-Sal
    Hey, man, if it's just a timing belt, you're in good shape! Now, you can save your money for Stage 2! Congrats! Put pics up on the new member thread....
    Fast and Wrong.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hey guys,

-Sal
    Congrats!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

YAY! I got the car back. The guys over at Speed Industry in Troy, Michigan did a fantastic job of diagnosing and repairing my car.

First off, the intake manifold came off and my gaskets were replaced. That was probably the most extensive part of the repairs.

Secondly, a third (or fourth) vacuum leak was discovered at the Y-pipe, and that was replaced.

The odds and ends were completed, too: rebuilt axle shaft, new CV joints, and a new engine mount for the passenger side.

But then: the exhaust and tune. HOLY SMOKES. It's like driving a totally different car. Because there were so many vacuum leaks, I was never even getting the turbo to spool, so I honestly did not know that my car's performance was so poor. I was probably getting about 5 psi. Now? Like, 15 psi. This thing is RIDICULOUS. Even with the stock Cobb AccessPORT tune, I'm amazed at the difference. Can't imagine what's going to happen when it's tweaked on the dyno.

The exhaust was pieced together: Perrin up pipe, Speedtech down pipe, Ansa Streamline catback with the baffle out. While this may seem like a scrappy idea, I cannot tell you how pleased I am with the results. The Ansa catback was a blow-out from another parts supplier and came at a really low price. I was almost expecting a 'coffee-can' putter, which I wasn't going to be thrilled about, but was willing to deal. Instead, I have a very LOUD very ANGRY very GROWLY BEAR exhaust. I mean, this thing is bad. Sick. Psycho. Troublesome. You name it, it sounds...cruel. I'll be linking a video of it soon. On the other hand, I'm going to have to put the baffle in if I want to drive it for long hours at a time.

So, forget the concept of being a 'sleeper'--this car is out and out the meanest, baddest, most practical little thing ever. I couldn't be happier. It seems like it was *almost* worth all the heartache.

Future plans include:
    Dyno
    K and N Air Filtration system
    Lowering/new springs (possible STI pinks)
    Front and Rear sway bars
    Rims and tires
    My audio system (now, I need it: this car is so loud)

We're going to be doing the brakes this weekend.

The bad news is: I have bronchitis, so playing with my car this weekend is out. But I guess that's good news for my husband, who is now wanting to sell his Focus SVT and buy a WRX!
    Last edited by Fritz_the_Chick; 09-17-2010 at 06:27 AM.
    Fast and Wrong.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    From broken to a stage 2 tune. Nice! have fun
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Glad you finally got it up and running properly!

BTW: Exhaust sound + Stereo sound = lots of sound. For me that equals headaches.
    If it gets too loud are you able to put the baffle back in?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz_the_Chick View Post
    Nah, it is the buyer's responsibility to really check these things out.
    What do you mean? The dealer has a responsibility to accurately disclose the condition of the vehicle to you. If they didn't tell you it had a fire (which they certainly knew), they broke the law.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    What do you mean? The dealer has a responsibility to accurately disclose the condition of the vehicle to you. If they didn't tell you it had a fire (which they certainly knew), they broke the law.
    NOT true.

The dealership has a responsibility to not specifically misrepresent any particular aspect of the car to the best of their knowledge - if they say it has a clean title, it had better have a clean title. If they give you exact values for various tests and they're made up, that's legally wrong.

If they tell you the car is "great", "drives great", "handles perfectly", "pulls hard", or even "never driven hard" - these are subjective, and hold no basis in court. Also, if they don't tell you about a vacuum leak, dead cats, blown head gasket, etc., it doesn't matter - they only had a responsibility to sell you what they have. If they TELL YOU SPECIFICALLY that it has none of those things, you have rights in the court of law.

When a car is sold "as-is", you've bought what you've bought, the sale is done. This is, of course, unless the seller has made a SPECIFIC CLAIM that you can SPECIFICALLY DISPROVE, which has cost you damages - in which case you may be refunded for the damages.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    fck
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Fast and Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    Glad you finally got it up and running properly!

BTW: Exhaust sound + Stereo sound = lots of sound. For me that equals headaches.
    If it gets too loud are you able to put the baffle back in?
    Yup, the baffle goes in and out fairly easily--just one screw! I appreciate what you're saying--guess I have to sacrifice a quiet cabin for some Hp!
    Fast and Wrong.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz_the_Chick View Post
    Linky not working for me
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast