THAT'S why it was so cheap! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on THAT'S why it was so cheap! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; DO NOT BE DOUCHED BY CARFAX. I cam fix a beyond totaled car in my shop and never turn it ...

I Support ClubWRX
    DO NOT BE DOUCHED BY CARFAX. I cam fix a beyond totaled car in my shop and never turn it in to an insurance company or dealer and the car will still have a clean title and carfax report.

Moral of the story... Do your research, if you don't want to.. Pay someone who knows or does.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You got in a really bad situation it sounds. All I can say is to be sure to upgrade each component you replace, not just buy OEM level or like Autozone junk. Wish the best for you and I hope it doesnt leave you stranded.

Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    If the brake lines are completely hosed, why not just replace with some SS brake lines and low BP brake fluid?
    Yup, that's going to make the most sense.

The kicker is: all these stupid setbacks are costing me my audio system. No bump in my trunk.

Wiring harness. That's another issue. And a box for a CV joint; one of mine is...melty.
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

I Support ClubWRX
    Safe good running car...........audio system............

Yea... ****.... Tough call.....

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Safe good running car...........audio system............

Yea... ****.... Tough call.....
    OBVIOUSLY, I'm fixing the car first. I'm merely lamenting.

I intend to take this opportunity and improve upon the stock parts. For example, I would like a stiffer engine mount. That and the tune will significantly change my driving experience, along with general TLC.
    Fast and Wrong.

Valve purge replaced...still running a rough idle. Wiring harness to be done this weekend. This is the tip of the iceberg, but I'll keep posting for anyone's (no one's?) viewing pleasure.

Argh.
    Fast and Wrong.

Keep us posted.
    Any pictures?

I'm a lazy so and so, so no pics. I'll try to think of it next time I do something.
    Fast and Wrong.

I Support ClubWRX
    Pics or ban.

(just kidding)

Hope you get it all sorted out well for you.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

OK: Here's what's going in the car in a week and a half:

PERRIN turbo inlet hose
    R&R intake manifold and related components to install turbo inlet hose
    GRIMMSPEED Subaru 3mm intake gaskets
    PERRIN up-pipe
    SpeedTech 3" downpipe 4"
    ANSA Catback exhaust
    PERRIN front sway bar links
    Reman axle shaft (passenger front boots melted/torn)
    Subaru steering rack boot
    ABS Wiring harness and sensor
    Transmission wiring harness and sensor
    Cobb AccesPORT tune--dyno wil have to come later
    All to the tune of $2400

The good news?
    The compression test went very well--passed with flying colors. Spark plugs replaced (obviously).

I also got parts for brakes, which my husband and I will do next week: new disc rotors (Racing Brakes), Hawk performance pads, stainless steel brake lines. I'm going to do a crash course on bleeding before we get started, though.

The other good news? I installed my Kartboy short throw shifter and Cobb delrin knob. Like, me and my husband. We didn't even have to grind the metal plate. And it works. This is HUGE for me. Don't laugh. I was instrumental in the 'popping in' of the new stick. Holy smokes, that was not easy. The mallet helped.

See below!

Cobb Knob~ by Nukes524, on Flickr

Delrin by Nukes524, on Flickr
    Fast and Wrong.

DO NOT BE DOUCHED BY CARFAX. I cam fix a beyond totaled car in my shop and never turn it in to an insurance company or dealer and the car will still have a clean title and carfax report.

Moral of the story... Do your research, if you don't want to.. Pay someone who knows or does.
    Ya no doubt! The carfax on my Honda reads one accident BUT it's been in at least four or more. There is an insane amount of new parts and unless a trained eye checked it out or I told them, the next owner wouldn't have a clue.

yeah, buying used cars is pretty damn hard...

The worst part is that it's easy to miss things even with a lot of knowledge and checking things out.

I just found what I thought was a great 02 wrx wagon - it was average in price (listed $7500), visually looks good (definitely no accident, or the entire frame was replaced ), dog-scratched but good otherwise interior, good looking engine (all stock parts), the learning view came back good, etc.

Came back the next day with my mechanic uncle and his OBD scanner. The I/M readiness is not back yet (meaning LIKELY needs either new cats, some fuel system part replaced, or both), and definitely has an oil leak near the turbo (which I couldn't catch the first time with the way the guy rushed me away from the car after the first test drive).

So, this isn't nearly as bad as your case - but your case is an extreme of the same thing. Even experienced people can be dup'd by a "good" scam dealership.

Oh and lemme guess - every car on the lot had shined tires, no CEL (and wrench marks on the battery), and your test drive was <1mi... amiright?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post

Oh and lemme guess - every car on the lot had shined tires, no CEL (and wrench marks on the battery), and your test drive was <1mi... amiright?
    Right as rain! In fact, when we first got there, the battery was dead and when the saleslady tried to charge it, she put the jumpers on incorrectly and totally fried the fuse, so they managed to spin the 'rough' idle as having something to do with the blown fuse--but they were more than happy to get that all replaced within a matter of minutes. It wasn't until I hit the highway on my way home that I thought very quietly to myself, "This doesn't feel right."

Denial. I swim in it.

I actually did call an attorney, but thanks to the (insert political party here), consumer protection laws do not apply to businesses in Michigan.
    Fast and Wrong.

I Support ClubWRX
    Lesson learned, bright side is you can use this to build the car to your likes

Lesson learned, bright side is you can use this to build the car to your likes
    ExACTly! This is a great opportunity for the 'blank slate' approach--and with enough stuff upgraded, I am hoping that the performance is even just a little bit better than a 'typical' tune and up pipe replacement.
    Fast and Wrong.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast