2011 WRX inc sometime in Sep

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX inc sometime in Sep within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey I know its a bit late since I already ordered the car, but does anyone know if the 5 ...

2011 WRX inc sometime in Sep, a quick question

Hey I know its a bit late since I already ordered the car, but does anyone know if the 5 speed in the base model WRX is still notorious for having issues handling hard driving? I know the 2002-2003 had issues, and I know they beefed it up a bit since then. I am wondering if the 09-11's have been tested at all.

Any info would be great. I don't plan on modding the car at all btw...so for stock purposes and a heavy right foot, will the 5 speed hold up?

Thanks,

Hooman
    Last edited by hisdigness; 08-11-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: changed title

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    They will take normal driving no problem. Just don't be a clown in it. The car is an AWD car, and you can't launch it like a RWD car without planning on some upgrades or repairs. For driving, or heavy driving, it should be plenty. Once you get into heavy modding, I'd say 350hp+, you are going to want to upgrade probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    They will take normal driving no problem. Just don't be a clown in it. The car is an AWD car, and you can't launch it like a RWD car without planning on some upgrades or repairs. For driving, or heavy driving, it should be plenty. Once you get into heavy modding, I'd say 350hp+, you are going to want to upgrade probably.

Thanks for the response. This will be my first AWD car. What is the main difference in launching between the RWD and AWD. I don't plan on launching all the time but just in case I do, how do I go about it in an AWD?

Thanks

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Slip the clutch.

Clutches are cheaper than gears..... MUCH cheaper.

You're not buying a Camaro.... there's no tire spin in one of these... all that torque has to go somewhere.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Slip the clutch.

Clutches are cheaper than gears..... MUCH cheaper.

You're not buying a Camaro.... there's no tire spin in one of these... all that torque has to go somewhere.
    forgive the ignorance, what do you mean by slip the clutch?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hisdigness View Post
    forgive the ignorance, what do you mean by slip the clutch?
    don't drop the clutch

liberal use of the clutch is key
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Slowly =P.

The driveline is a chain. Weakest link will give. The idea in the soobies is to have your clutch or your tires be the weak link. I would not go for the tire route... Too easy to send parts flying until you get used to your car a bit more. This is one reason it is not recommended to get a heavy duty clutch normally - if the clutch is stronger, the transmission becomes the weakest link. The torques gotta go somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hisdigness View Post
    does anyone know if the 5 speed in the base model WRX is still notorious for having issues handling hard driving?
    No, nobody knows.

Not yet at least. Whether they have attempted to strengthen the gearbox, change clutch valving, or do anything else to prevent failures doesn't mean they succeeded, and not enough people have broken their new gearboxes to give anyone an idea of real-world failure rates vs. the older cars.

Only time will tell.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

cool thanks for the info guys.