Drove and will be buying 2011...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Drove and will be buying 2011... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My local stealership had a 2011 wrx in for the weekend and I went for a great drive on some ...

Drove and will be buying 2011...

My local stealership had a 2011 wrx in for the weekend and I went for a great drive on some twisties with a fun loving salesman...great car and awesome fun...

I will be getting either the wrx or sti, but haven't figured that question out yet. I will be taking the car to the track 2x/year and occasional autox and therefore will surely feel the need to modify the suspension and bracing if I get the wrx.

I am wondering if I can justify the $8000 premium for the sti over the wrx. I realize that there is a world of difference, in power, suspension and brakes, but would it be necessary to upgrade brakes? Would pads and venting do?

For STI owners: Do you use/find benefit in the SI-drive? What about the dccd? It seems to be recommended to use the dccd in auto on pavement, so is that different than the wrx's setting? Does the wrx also share the torque split of 35:65 front to rear bias?

Any responses are welcome...thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd ask to test drive a 2010 WRX and an STi. You would be able to get an idea of the differences. They are different feeling cars.

The 8000 is a reasonable price. The brake upgrades alone are probably about 2k. BBS are included if I remember right (maybe only on the hatch). A lot of other odds and ends, but those are two things to think about.

They really are just different cars. Many would rather drive a WRX as a daily driver, some not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Sti comes with brembos, a monster of a 6speed, different turbo, intercooler, all kinds of stuff thats easily over 8k difference.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Thanks for the replies. They are totally different, but suspension has mattered most to me on the cars that I have owned in the past, and brakes, but the wrx seems to be no slouch with its 2 pot calipers...

I still wonder about the dccd system and if the wrx has the same type of system without the adjust-ability for manual mode.

dunno, I'd say if you're going to track the car at all

get the sti.

if you're just going to daily drive it and want something fun, get the wrx.

thats pretty much what it boils down to.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

if you can afford the sti buy the sti...why wouldnt you. people say they wrx is better for a daily driver b/c of better drivability and more forgiving suspension. im pretty sure you are not buying a wrx/sti b/c its the most comfortable vehicle to ride in...buy a buick if you are into that.

plus the new sti suspension upgrades are super sick...read about them...you will be impressed and it will justify the increase in cost over the wrx

keep in mind, insurance costs for the sti will be significantly higher that the wrx, so before you sign anything, call your insurance company and get an idea of the difference in premiums between both vehicles. that may help to make your mind up more than which car is better
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Get the STI if you can- you get a modern 6 speed tranny versus 5 speed on the WRX and higher top end if you are going to use it on the track or cruise at fast speeds on the highway a lot. As already stated though STI is one of the highest cost cars to insure if not the highest.

Absolutely right. I do not want a buick's ride quality, even for my daily driver (not that the wrx is in that same category). But, I will definitely do the suspension if I get the wrx. The suspension and upgrades might cost me up to $3k. I still wouldn't have the 6sp, brakes, power, wheels, etc. I will just have to see how the payments come out...and the insurance is another thought that I didn't think too much about. One of the highest? wow.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I actually hate the gearing of the 6-speed on the STIs... more shifting, and they can actually slow you down on the track.

You can't argue with the added strength of the transmission though..... so... personal preference I suppose.

The brakes however... you will absolutely need if you plan on ever tracking this thing. Just the Brembos aren't enough... you need to install steel braided lines, racing fluid, and track pads if you expect to truly utilize those brakes.

WRX brakes??? Are garbage on the track. Even the red 4-pots on my 06 (which are better than stock 08+ WRX calipers) boiled on the track... with all of the above mentioned additions..... they just simply aren't big enough to effectively dissapate the heat..

With insurance costs, plus the $8000+ jump in price, I say buy the WRX, start saving for a Big Brake Kit, and possibly a few suspension upgrades (sways, endlinks, springs, struts, tires, etc)..... and I think you will be more than happy with your purchase, and it won't break the bank.

Yes, I have spent WAAAAAAAYYYYYY more on my WRX than I would have initially spent on an STI when I bought it back in Jan of 06...... But..... I saved.... I put money aside.... I did the upgrades when I could afford them.... and I never put myself in a financial hardship trying to make the higher car payment and insurance payment the whole time, you know?

..... and my car get way more looks/compliments too... so it's pretty cool.

Just My opinion.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Great reply, thanks. I wasn't sure about the wrx brakes at the track. It is good to hear from someone who has as much experience as you with mods...nice car. Are there stories of the 5sp trans crapping out with hard driving? I know the clutch goes, but the tranny? Is the clutch different in the sti?

The 5 speed may be marginally weaker, but it's not weak by any means. Just don't drive the car like a rwd car (don't launch), and you'll be fine.

The five speed should be up to 350-400hp before you need to think about replacing gears.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drafter View Post
    Great reply, thanks. I wasn't sure about the wrx brakes at the track. It is good to hear from someone who has as much experience as you with mods...nice car. Are there stories of the 5sp trans crapping out with hard driving? I know the clutch goes, but the tranny? Is the clutch different in the sti?
    For AutoXing (short bursts), the WRX brakes will be fine with some decent pads, lines, and fluid.

I do road-racing in 20-minute lap-battle sessions, and last time I lost my brakes at over 90mph... pedal went all the way to the floor. My Red calipers with white lettering turned into pink calipers woth brown lettering.... warped my rotors.... torched my pads.... it was bad.

..... and those were as "race-prepped" as I could get the stock calipers.

A BBK was one of the next mods.... for that reason alone.

There are PLENTY of stories of the WRX 5-speed crapping out. 02-03s were notorious for breaking 2nd gear. They fixed the problem in 04.

With the larger displacement engine in 2006, people started breaking the next weakest gear.... 3rd.

I don't know much about the 08+ WRXs.... but I do know that most WRX transmission failures have been due to either EXTREMELY high HP applications..... or plain old simple asshattery.

Driven responsibly... your tranny will be just fine. I PROMISE that if you do break it... it's your fault... period.

I'm at 50K miles on my car, 38K of that has been with stage 2 STI equivilent WHP... and my tranny gear oil doesn't have a flake in it.... clean as it was the day I bought it.... and I'm still on the stock clutch if you can believe it - LOL

Eventually ($$$), I'm going to go the TD05 20G / 850cc route, and I'm not worried in the slightest.

I don't think the clutch in an STI erodes any quicker than one in a WRX... although they are completely different applications.

The general rule of thumb is not to go over 300whp on a stock 5 speed.... although driven responsibly, 350 is prefectly fine.

I've seen NUMEROUS guys with well over 450 whp using the STI 6speed... It is stronger, without a doubt... you'll just have to decide what your plans are with the car, and how much you want to spend.

I think Cobb rated my setup at 290whp... works out to be about 362 at the crank... nothing "crazy" at all... but with the right suspension mods, tires, brakes... and DRIVER... I have beaten quite a few cars that theoretically on paper.. should have wiped the floor with me.

Of course.... I've been beaten too..... which is why I keep going back
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 08-11-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Nice write-up. Good info for thought.

I seriously miss hitting the track and autox. I have 3 kids and have been driving a dodge magnum w/ hemi to fit them all, but can't stand it anymore. The weight, size and boat-iness of it have been driving me crazy, even with it lowered on springs, struts and sways.

I had a 02 celica gts, also somewhat modded that I used at the track a few times and loved it regardless of how many times I was passed.

I am really lookiing forward to the wrx/sti...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    WRX brakes??? Are garbage on the track. Even the red 4-pots on my 06 (which are better than stock 08+ WRX calipers) boiled on the track... with all of the above mentioned additions..... they just simply aren't big enough to effectively dissapate the heat..
    Just My opinion.
    I think most of this is due to the abysmal Front/Rear brake bias. Subaru aimed to correct this by increasing the rear brake bias and rotor diameter in the 2008+ WRXs. This, coupled with a floating caliper setup, might surprise you in terms of performance. Individual reports have indicated that the braking efficiency had been improved over the outgoing 2007 model, despite reverting to the 2-1 pot design. Though still not comparable to STi Brembos, the brakes are much improved over my humble Bugeye
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.