FNG here

This is a discussion on FNG here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys and gals! I am new to the site and new to the Subaru society as well lol. I ...

FNG here

hey guys and gals! I am new to the site and new to the Subaru society as well lol. I am the proud owner of an 02 Subaru WRX and I love it! all of my past experiences are with Nissans mostly having owned and worked on (aka pieced together to make it run until the next time it broke down) my '89 240sx. Along with my intro, I have a question about my Subaru. When I try and spool the turbo up, sometimes it acts like it either shuts off fuel to the engine or it just stops pushing boost. Basically, it falls on its face for a second and then picks back up. It throws the engine light on. I pulled the code and I think it was P0244 which was something like Wastegate performance range. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBullet790 View Post
    hey guys and gals! I am new to the site and new to the Subaru society as well lol. I am the proud owner of an 02 Subaru WRX and I love it! all of my past experiences are with Nissans mostly having owned and worked on (aka pieced together to make it run until the next time it broke down) my '89 240sx. Along with my intro, I have a question about my Subaru. When I try and spool the turbo up, sometimes it acts like it either shuts off fuel to the engine or it just stops pushing boost. Basically, it falls on its face for a second and then picks back up. It throws the engine light on. I pulled the code and I think it was P0244 which was something like Wastegate performance range. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!!
    could you explain exactly what happens and what it feels like when you step on the peddle in more of a detail, and what the code is exactly?

lets say I'm on the highway in 5th. If I step on the gas full throttle, as the turbo spools up and its speeding up, it feels like it hits a fuel control. It just dies for a second and then it picks right back up. If I take off and go through the gears, I can run up through the RPMs fine with no problem. But if I go around somebody in like 3rd or 4th, then it has the problem. Does that help any? and It is P0244

well when it comes to your turbo spool it can be so many things, you could have a vacuum leak, or it could be your blow of valve.. or so manny different things. My brother's WRX has a TurboXS' BOV and if its set wrong he drops boost at 5000 rpm, while in 3rd gear, like it will boost from 2-5000 and just stop, id say take it to a mechanic's shop, and have hen check it. you really don't want turbo issues.

you say that it will just stop boosting and, drop to 0psi and then start boosting again, and when it happens it turns the check engine light on? all call a friend of mine, he owns a shop here in denver, and ill see what he thinks. I do think you should take it to a shop and have then do a full inspection on it.
    Last edited by ShinceN; 08-08-2010 at 10:29 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    List all modifications done to the car.

Do you have a means of measuring boost pressure?

If the car were younger I'd say you had boost creep but this is not the case for your model. I'm wondering if you are hitting fuel cut for some reason but your story about what happens in different gears doesn't quite add up for that either. Again, list all modifications.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    List all modifications done to the car.

Do you have a means of measuring boost pressure?

If the car were younger I'd say you had boost creep but this is not the case for your model. I'm wondering if you are hitting fuel cut for some reason but your story about what happens in different gears doesn't quite add up for that either. Again, list all modifications.
    right, i thought that exact thing, also i assume he's car is stock, if there are moods on it any number of then could be causing it, also if there were moods, and were hastily replaced my OEM parts when it was sold there could be allot wrong with it. In any case i still recommend having someone take a look at it.