2.0 liter vs. 2.5 liter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2.0 liter vs. 2.5 liter within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am new to the site and was wondering which engine is more reliable and which one has more options ...

2.0 liter vs. 2.5 liter

I am new to the site and was wondering which engine is more reliable and which one has more options for upgrades? I am looking to purchase a Subaru WRX/STI engine and transmission for a project car, and owning a Volkswagen New Beetle with the 1.8 liter Turbo which is a far better engine than the 2.0 liter! Not just because of the turbo but overall! So, this is why I am wanting to know the history and facts about each engine before I purchase one. Also, I have to say that having two turbos does sound like less turbo lag, but as the old V8 guys say, "There's no replacement for displacement." PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
    THANKS!!!!!
    vwdiddy
    Last edited by vwdiddy; 08-06-2010 at 04:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Firstly welcome to the club!

Coming from owning a 2002 STI (2L) and now a 2006 STI (2.5L)
    I would say go for the 2.5 since it feels like its got less lagg and its allot quicker on the highway!
    Ask anyone with a 2L what it feels like to pull off from a traffic light with the aircon on...

Tuning wise both variations have endless options, you will run out of money before you run out of options!
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    go with the 2.5. Much better torque characteristics. With the 2.5, you can just let of the clutch and go. The 2.0L requires you to find the sweet spot when you want any acceleration at all (usually you have to feather to clutch out to around 2200 RPM).

As JR (wrxwagone) claims... "the WRX motor [in the low RPM range] is like driving a really low compression, low displacement motor with a huge exhaust restriction pushing AWD" You need all the torque you can muster down low.

Plus you get all kinds of goodies with the 2.5L such as AVCS, 32 bit ECU, semi-closed block, and DBW (if you're into that sort of thing).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    The trouble is that all those advantages can become hassles in the case of a project car, because they increase the complexity.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    good observation, SD. The OP would have to convert from DBW to DBL, new ECU and full harnessing, and wire in the AVCS. In light of this, it might be easier to swap in an older architecture like the EJ205. Better yet, take a look at an EJ22T (Legacy GT), you'll get more torque, but it will be a much simpler swap.
    Last edited by zax; 08-06-2010 at 06:00 AM.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The trouble is that all those advantages can become hassles in the case of a project car, because they increase the complexity.
    Agreed.

Depending on the 'project car', the 2.0L could still prove a worthy installation. Figure if it's a pan-chassis VW, then the two litre will have no problems moving the 1200lb (a guess) car around, with far less complexity and aggravation.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Agreed.

Depending on the 'project car', the 2.0L could still prove a worthy installation. Figure if it's a pan-chassis VW, then the two litre will have no problems moving the 1200lb (a guess) car around, with far less complexity and aggravation.
    bahaha rick nice avatar!

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    bahaha rick nice avatar!
    that's how I roll.. I figure since she was drooling on my shoulder, I have a right. LOL
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Some really love the high-revving nature of the 2.0, and others are fixated upon it's WRC heritage.

I fall into neither category. I moved to the 2.5 and wouldn't go back. It's nice having a tiny bit of torque at lower revs for drivability.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Finding a Good 2.5 Turbo Sti

I am looking for a good 2.5 Turbo, I live in Boise, Idaho. Every company that I've looked at and contacted have told me that what I'm looking for is IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! Too me that's BULL!!!! I don't believe in impossible!!!!! Where there's a will, there's a way!!! I haven't given up and I will continue to look, but if anyone here has any suggestions that will be truly appreciated!!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's BS - people put them in sand rails, VW, 914, beck speedsters etc. all the time. Not really cheap or easy though.

I'd skip the EJ22 unless you can find one the right compression etc. etc. - too hard to source and not a beaten path.

EJ207 would be the one to have but EJ205 would be easiest. I can't find a # on the weight difference for a 2.5 but given the location of the motor light is good.

You should find everything you need here:
    http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/forumdisplay.php?f=51

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/26/v...e-can-get-exc/

http://aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=66118

http://www.offroadvw.net/vwrx/

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...0Porsche&mid=0
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Is there a difference in the engine internals between the two? Is one block stronger than the other? Comp. ratio the same? Heads? Thanx!

zax
    it's pretty hotly debated topic, but the EJ255 is by large considered a stronger engine than the EJ205. The EJ205 is of open block architecture while the EJ255 is a semi-closed block. Whether or not this makes a difference at streetable power levels is the major debate topic. I am not sure, but I believe the connecting rods and crankshaft are stronger in the EJ255, but the pistons are fairly weak for a forced-induction motor. As for configurations, dish size, compression, etc. take a look at this table:

I think the compression ratio is incorrect for the 2002-2005 EJ205, it should be 8.0:1 if I'm not mistaken

Facebook me here

That's some great information. Let me ask this. Will the 2.5 bolt in and connect up where a 2.0 was? Say like in an '03 WRX, can a rebuilt or low mile 2.5 from a wrecked donor go in without major issues?
    I know I'm probably going off topic, but I'm curious. Got the fever and the only cure is Subie..Gonna happen soon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBOTOM2010 View Post
    That's some great information. Let me ask this. Will the 2.5 bolt in and connect up where a 2.0 was? Say like in an '03 WRX, can a rebuilt or low mile 2.5 from a wrecked donor go in without major issues?
    I know I'm probably going off topic, but I'm curious. Got the fever and the only cure is Subie..Gonna happen soon.
    Yes, generally, but you will have to manage it then too. Avoid drive by wire setups to keep things simple.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.