Advice for a newb
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Advice for a newb within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i just got a 2002 WRX 2.0 Its all stock with about 138000 on the engine. It definetly needs some ...

Question Advice for a newb

i just got a 2002 WRX 2.0 Its all stock with about 138000 on the engine. It definetly needs some work ie BOV, Exhaust, Clutch, air intake, Cosmetic....I just dont know where to start or what brand parts to get. the clutch def needs changing soon tho what do you guys sugest?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The best Subaru parts are made by Subaru.

See the link with info in my signature for suggestions.

Welcome.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Get what it needs to operate properly first then have fun. As far as clutch goes what are you going to do with the car? That determines what kind of clutch to get. Might as well do a fly wheel upgrade while you got the clutch out as well. Has it had any maintenance done such as timing belt or seals?

Theres a who list of maintenance issuse that were taken care of by the previouse owner including timing belt.
    right now its my daily driver...work, outdoor hobies. im just looking for a little more power and performance without going all out or breaking the bank.
    I was also looking into turbo timers...would that be usefull especially after a long drive?

Appreciate the help/advice

Quote Originally Posted by Aligar View Post
    Theres a who list of maintenance issuse that were taken care of by the previouse owner including timing belt.
    right now its my daily driver...work, outdoor hobies. im just looking for a little more power and performance without going all out or breaking the bank.
    I was also looking into turbo timers...would that be usefull especially after a long drive?

Im not sure if your turbo is oil and water cooled or just oil cooled. If it is water and oil cooled then your really dont need one. I have one just for my own ****s and giggles and the one i got can read A/F ratio as well when i get a wide band. Is th car tuned?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Aligar View Post

You gotta take your time with the soobies. Just save some cash and read some stickies for a few weeks. They are odd cars. Google Unabomber's Manifesto for some reference material to read through.

Turbo timers, BOVs, aftermarket clutches, and air intakes are poor (very) mods for these cars. Downpipe and engine management would be your best bang for the buck. Most consider and un-catted up pipe preventative maintenance.

Keep in mind with AWD... when getting on it, something has to give. It isn't always the tires. You are better off blowing an oem clutch than your transmission. Has to be a weak link somewhere to let off excess power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.