debating 300zx tt or wrx :/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on debating 300zx tt or wrx :/ within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ive been debating for a couple weeks now and still cant deside. i think the main factor thats making it ...

Question debating 300zx tt or wrx :/

ive been debating for a couple weeks now and still cant deside. i think the main factor thats making it so hard is the 300zx is amazingly sexy but i live in minnesota and winter here blows more **** then a 25 cent hooker. ive noticed that parts for the 300zx are rather spendy and the car itself is a good 2k-3k more then a 02 wrx. im interested in getting the weird round bugeyed headlight style wrx. someone have any ideas which is the best choice im leaning toward the wrx for the winter time fun and all year drive ability. any good info would be very much appreciated thank you for your time

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you've already answered your own question.

Take it easy on the transmission with the bugeye, it doesn't handle abuse well.....like launching and clutch drops.

Yeah kind of did huh. Nut this weak tranny thing might make me reconsider. Is there a way to upgrade or a better gen of subie that might take a little more punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by ur_junk View Post
    Yeah kind of did huh. Nut this weak tranny thing might make me reconsider. Is there a way to upgrade or a better gen of subie that might take a little more punishment?
    There are upgrades. I believe that putting in RA gears helps. You'll have to search for it. Seriously though, the transmission is fine if you don't abuse it.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    An '02 WRX is going to be more expensive than a TT 300ZX.

I Support ClubWRX
    A TT 300zx is an awesome machine, but suffers from the fact it hasn't been produced in like 12 years. Parts are getting hard to find, and while the systems like Super Hikas were extremely cool, they tend to nickle and dime their owners in the waning years of life cycle. Not to mention since the 300zx was designed in the OBD1 era, tuning for it (without buying a stand alone) is a bunch of cobbled together modules bolted on to trick the ECU into making it work, should you ever want to modify it. The WRX is still produced, still supported, has a better more user friendly ECU for tuning, and is cheaper. Don't get me wrong I love the 300ztt, but IMO they just arent worth the $$$.

Onto the tranny issue.

There are a ton of upgrades. most people who have tranny failures in WRX's come from either the FWD or RWD segment. They are used to and enjoy banging second gear, 5000 rpm clutch drops, fast shifts, and smoking tires. That leaves once you buy a WRX, or else your tranny fries. Sure you can spend $4000-$7000 beefing up the tranny to take it, but then you just migrate the issue down the line.

If you drive the wrx how its meant to be driven then you won't have an issue. She requires a little bit of finesse.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I have an 02 bugeye and it has about 100k miles on it. My transmission and clutch are both fine. I don't baby my car nor do I abuse it. I think the transmission failures are all do to kids not knowing how to drive an AWD manual transmission. There is a poll on Nasioc that sort of shows the transmission is not as weak as everyone makes it out to be.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I have an 02 bugeye and it has about 100k miles on it. My transmission and clutch are both fine. I don't baby my car nor do I abuse it. I think the transmission failures are all do to kids not knowing how to drive an AWD manual transmission. There is a poll on Nasioc that sort of shows the transmission is not as weak as everyone makes it out to be.
    I agree with you. The tranny with code AA isnt as strong, but not as weak as everyone thinks. Just because someone cant drive a manual to save their life doesnt mean our tranny are glass. You just need to know to to rev match and double clutch, you can teach yourself in 5 mins. As for the RA gears... what a waste. Pay 1500$ more and do a sti swap... what im in the process of doing. Go to ebay and look around, there are tons of em. The 300zx makes serious power, but I doubt it could touch our wrxs on a road course... Ive never drove one though so I can say that for sure.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

The 300zx is also old and going to have problems creep up on you. They are a ***** to work on. The winter with snow and such will be fun with a RWD car, id say get the WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    The 300zx is also old and going to have problems creep up on you. They are a ***** to work on. The winter with snow and such will be fun with a RWD car, id say get the WRX.

Too true. My friend used to have a 3000GT and he owns a 300zx now. The damn engine bay space on that thing is way worse than the 3000GT its a ***** to work on...
    Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

I was debating this earlier this year as well, and am soooo glad I went with the WRX. I drove a Fairlady Z and it didn't seem to pull near as hard as my WRX. Not to mention the practicality of having 5 seats rather than 2. And AWD for winter. And better resale value.

The 300zx is beautiful though

f***yeah guys thanks for all your info!!
    i dont think im going to be as hard on the car as i originally thought lol i dont really want to do any fancy awd burnouts an such. something like a lil red light action or a couple passes on the track. i kind of want to try some auto cross but donno bout that yet. ive been hearing the handling of the 300zx isnt as amazing as everyone thinks. thanks to you guys and your help im going to go with the wrx! im sure in the up coming months youll prob see a bunch of random questions from me haha but thanks again guys!

i had the same decision, i even test drove a z32 and i wanted it soooo bad. but when its going to be your only car then you have to think it terms of practicality. and in this case AWD, 4 doors, can fit 5-6 people depending on their size>RWD, 2 seater.

but if its a second car, then thats a different story
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

I have both

I'm a current owner of both an 03 WRX and a 1990 300zx TT. There are definately pros and cons to both. Overall I enjoy driving the Nissan better, looking at it too. My 300zx definitely pulls harder also, trapped 106 in the 1/4 vs 94 for the WRX. Power wise the 300zx wins hands down with not only more power, but also more torque and less lag. That extra liter of displacement really makes a big difference.
    Handling: They both handle very well just in different ways. I think the 300zx has the potential to handle better with its lower center of gravity, better weight distribution, and bigger tires. It feels much more neutral which is both its advantage and disadvantage. The WRX understeers all the time probably due to its very fowrard weight bias. The good thing about that though is I always know what the car is going to do. If you overcook a corner you get out of the gas and wait for the front to tuck in. The 300zx at the limit is less predictable and harder to get everything out of it. I also own a 4th gen Z28 and both the WRX and the 300zx way out handle the Chevy.
    The 300zx is more practical and comfortable than most people realize, but still not a usable as the WRX. The nissan is absolutely the harder to work on of the two. Both in engine bay space and the fact that they are all getting older. The one thing I can't speak to is the snow since I'm a southerner. Good luck.

I'm an owner of both a 2011 WRX and a 1991 300zx n/a. Honestly the two car's are not that similar. The 300zx is rwd an the WRX is awd. My 300zx is about 20 years older than my WRX so there is a huge age issue. The interior of my 300zx is pretty much done. The leather seats are ripped, stereo is shot, speakers and blown, but the engine is still very responsive and powerful.

Yes the 300zx looks amazing, but if you're going to be the one driving it, having an aging interior is not going to be fun. If you can find a 300zx in very good condition with a low price I'd go for it. But I've seen many good condition 300zx's go for well over $15,000. At that price I'd go for a newer WRX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast