deciding between WRX and STi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

This is a discussion on deciding between WRX and STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; sup everyone. in a couple of months im going to be browsing the market for a new car. my current ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3

    deciding between WRX and STi

    sup everyone. in a couple of months im going to be browsing the market for a new car. my current car, a 06 honda accord sedan is cool and all, but im looking for something that will satisfy me a little more, which is why i turned to the subi scene. My car as of right now is worth about $16-18k, and im looking to save up about 8k to make a downpayment on either a 2011 WRX or STi. just weighing my options and trying to learn more about both cars. The forum is great and has loads of information and i cant wait to get my hands on one of these cars. I look forward to buying the car and meeting up with some of the socal peeps on the forum anyways, just saying wsup and im glad i joined the subi fam.

    P.S, any socal tuners anyone would recommend? ive been looking in the vendor forums but i have yet to see one located in socal, theres probably a ton but i havent seen one yet lol.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User 06scoobyrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SL,UT
    Posts
    2,606
    Welcome... If you can afford the sti get that you'll be a lot happier with it... just remember the insurance is very high for both especially the sti...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    yeah unfortunately ill have to pay monthly's plus insurance :[ im sorta leaning towards the WRX just because of the price, and im not looking for huge HP numbers as this will be my DD/weekend track car. im aiming for about around 350-400whp, and i THINK thats attainable in a WRX without messing with internals or the turbo and running boltons and a tune. correct me if im wrong

  5. #4
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by najeezy View Post
    yeah unfortunately ill have to pay monthly's plus insurance :[ im sorta leaning towards the WRX just because of the price, and im not looking for huge HP numbers as this will be my DD/weekend track car. im aiming for about around 350-400whp, and i THINK thats attainable in a WRX without messing with internals or the turbo and running boltons and a tune. correct me if im wrong
    Yeah... you're wrong there. Sorry lol.

    You won't see much over 300WHP out of the stock block of a WRX reliably, stock turbo wise with the TD04 (pre-'09 WRX's) you won't see much past 250WHP. Unless you do some crazy modifications and push the TD04 way out of its efficiency range.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 07-30-2010 at 12:51 AM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    ah okay. well at least i know now haha. i figured since it only makes 265 to the crank. maybe ill lean towards the STi now :

  7. #6
    Registered User cjm1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Welcome... If you can afford the sti get that you'll be a lot happier with it... just remember the insurance is very high for both especially the sti...
    This. Its like decideing between a Cobra and a GT. Cobra is built better and can handle more stress than the gt, but both can make stupid hp and tq. It comes down to your budget really.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

  8. #7
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,547
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Yeah... you're wrong there. Sorry lol.

    You won't see much over 300WHP out of the stock block of a WRX reliably, stock turbo wise with the TD04 (pre-'09 WRX's) you won't see much past 250WHP. Unless you do some crazy modifications and push the TD04 way out of its efficiency range.
    The weakness isn't the engine block.

    It's the transmission and pistons. With just forged pistons 400whp is absolutely achievable out of the 06+ WRX's engine block with the proper modifications

    BUT the transmission is another story. 300whp max with a wrx tranny.. I'm hoping the 09+ tranny is a different story, but that's yet to be proven
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  9. #8
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    The weakness isn't the engine block.

    It's the transmission and pistons. With just forged pistons 400whp is absolutely achievable out of the 06+ WRX's engine block with the proper modifications

    BUT the transmission is another story. 300whp max with a wrx tranny.. I'm hoping the 09+ tranny is a different story, but that's yet to be proven
    Oh absolutely, I meant the short block assembly in stock form. Swap out those pistons and you basically have an STi engine, except for the design (flow) of the heads. At that point everything but the flow will be identical with the STi, valve train included.

    I figured the question was in absolutely stock form would the WRX handle that much power, there's just no way. It may handle 300-325 somewhat reliably (though with greatly increased risk), but it won't be achieving numbers like the STi engine can in stock form. Even then you need a turbo swap and some other things, but stock turbo and engine in a WRX will not get you to those numbers. 09's will be lucky to see those numbers, but definitely not pre-09 WRX's.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  10. #9
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,547
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm going to eventually see 350whp on my stock engine. We'll see what happens

    I plan on either a 20g w/ E85 or FPGreen w/ E85.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  11. #10
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'm going to eventually see 350whp on my stock engine. We'll see what happens

    I plan on either a 20g w/ E85 or FPGreen w/ E85.
    Good plan, please do let us know how that goes because it's my future plans for my engine as well I'm planning on destroying the motor rather quickly though, by that time I'll be over 100k miles (at 90k right now).
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  12. #11
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,547
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's a good amnt of mileage
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  13. #12
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    That's a good amnt of mileage
    Of this, I am sadly aware. 60k of that was in the first two years of owning it. I used to live 50 miles away from work and friends, so 100 miles pretty much every single day for 2 years adds up quick. Lot's of oil changes too.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  14. #13
    Registered User 06scoobyrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SL,UT
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Of this, I am sadly aware. 60k of that was in the first two years of owning it. I used to live 50 miles away from work and friends, so 100 miles pretty much every single day for 2 years adds up quick. Lot's of oil changes too.
    Ouch... yeah, I used to rack up a lot of mileage on my car.... but after I met my wife I hardley ever drive...lol I've had my car for 6 months and I've only put about 4K on there and 1K of those were from my trip down south...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

  15. #14
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Ouch... yeah, I used to rack up a lot of mileage on my car.... but after I met my wife I hardley ever drive...lol I've had my car for 6 months and I've only put about 4K on there and 1K of those were from my trip down south...
    Not bad at all. That's about what I do now, thanks to living less than 10 miles away from work .

    Don't you sleep?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  16. #15
    Registered User 06scoobyrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SL,UT
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Not bad at all. That's about what I do now, thanks to living less than 10 miles away from work .

    Don't you sleep?
    Nope, gave that up when the baby was born...lol I'm on a swing shift now where I work from 1 to 930 pm...

    Yeah that's good... so I figure at the rate I'm going by the time my car is paid off ill have about 100K on the car and it will still be in 1 piece hopefully.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •