Just got first WRX, now I have $1500 to put in it. Where do I start
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just got first WRX, now I have 00 to put in it. Where do I start within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an '03 sedan. All it has on it is an exhaust and BOV but I'm going to remove ...

Just got first WRX, now I have $1500 to put in it. Where do I start

I have an '03 sedan. All it has on it is an exhaust and BOV but I'm going to remove the BOV after reading what I have on here. I'm only getting 13 psi in mine right now. This is also my first Turbo vehicle so where should I begin in making sure it is tuned properly? I took it to the mechanic before I bought it and they said it looked great. And at the moment I have about $1500 to put in it in mods, or tuning or whatever. What are the best things that I can do to my car for both power and longevity of my vehicle. The car has 112,000 miles but the motor has 27,000. Any help would be great. Oh ya how do I change the blowoff back to stock, it looks really straight forward but I'm just not sure? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you have to get a stock BPV

I have that already, is it just the two bolts and replacing what looks like the return hose?

Quote Originally Posted by MTay1669 View Post
    I have that already, is it just the two bolts and replacing what looks like the return hose?
    If the return hose is still in place, it just needs to be mounted back onto the BPV outlet. Make sure to get a hose clamp for it as well. You may want to pick up a spare BPV gasket just to be safe, too.

Do you know if the exhaust swap included uppipe? Was it a full turbo-back exhaust, or just cat-back? Uppipe is important if it hasn't been done yet.

If the exhaust is already done, you can do a turbo upgrade for under $1500, if you wanted to do such. You'll need bigger injectors, fuel pump, and you'll of course need a retune after the new turbo is installed. A 3-port boost control isn't a bad idea to put on with the new turbo if you go that route.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

I Support ClubWRX
    Does it still have an OEM (catted) uppipe? If not, that should be fixed yesterday.

What are the brakes like?

Have the struts been replaced? 100K+ has a strong likelihood of needing replacements.

How are the tires?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The brakes are in pretty good shape. I'm looking to upgrade to the STI brakes when they are needing to be replaced. The exhaust was just a cat back so I definitely need to do the up-pipe and downpipe. Does anybody know who makes the best ones? I also was thinking about doing strut bars. I was also wondering if anyone knows how many PSI the stock turbo is capable of producing. The car was wrecked in the front end 27000 miles ago so the entire front end (suspension and engine have been completely rebuilt). What I'm thinking of doing after everything that I have read is full up-pipe and downpipe with the full cat back exhaust. Get a new ECU and remap it, strut bars, and brakes when it comes time. I live out in the mountains in Utah and this is my daily driver so I'm trying to keep reliability while making it as much fun as possible to drive.

Oh ya, the tires are getting pretty bald, so I was looking to put on a set of light weight 18's. Not sure which brand yet just looking for a good product used. The struts seem to be in pretty good shape but I'm sure that they will need to be replaced before too long here. I'm hoping that over the next year or so I should be able to put together closer to $10k to put into the car. I'm really just looking for a good starting point.

Welcome... I live in utah as well...

replace the tires -600
    Up pipe. -200
    Down pipe. -300
    Tactrix cable. -150
    Sways and links. -250
    =--------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

:
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Welcome... I live in utah as well...

replace the tires -600
    Up pipe. -200
    Down pipe. -300
    Tactrix cable. -150
    Sways and links. -250
    =--------
    Perfect
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.