Need Advice/Opinion
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need Advice/Opinion within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am looking to buy a WRX, but I am also going to be getting a house soon. That being ...

7n7

Need Advice/Opinion

I am looking to buy a WRX, but I am also going to be getting a house soon. That being said, I will not be able to get a car loan out before my mortgage is all set and I'm moved into my hosue. My buddy is willing to sell his WRX for 15k.

It is an 03 body, new engine, upgraded transmission, clutch, turbo, exhaust, and a number of things inside the car. The original engine had a lot of miles on it, the new one had a few then had to be fixed due to an issue caused by fuel injectors that were too small. He just upgraded the fuel injectors and everything is supposedly working fine. Since being redone it has about 3k miles on it.

Also, before the new engine/transmission/clutch, he got in a small accident that did some damages to rear corner panel. I don't think any structural damages were done though. He has since replaced the panels and other cosmetic parts of the car.

I know the car has probably been driven hard, and I will drive it hard as well I'm sure. I am wondering what the opinion is on this, because I am worried that I will get the car and end up being screwed in a year to replace something. I should mention, I do have a buddy going to take a look at the car with me on Saturday, but wanted an overall consensus.

Thanks for any insight!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy a stock car with a full service history that's been maintained using authentic parts. If you can't find a WRX in your price range either wait or buy something else, again using the same criteria.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

7n7
    I guess my issue is, I can afford more, but if I get this car will I end up spending all my free time working on it. I have another car that I will probably be keeping that I would have as a "backup" but still do not want the subie to break. I would love to buy new, but it would be nice to save $10k

7n7
    It's official, I just put $500 down on a 5door Premium Darg Gray 2011 WRX. It is scheduled to be there 9/21, not sure if Hurricane Earl screwed that up at all...hopefully not. Thanks again SD for the advice my buddy also gave me the ...no... and wouldn't even go look at it with me.

I'll post pics when she gets in.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats.

I don't know if the cars arrive via Panama and land on the US east coast or if they are railed from the west coast.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n7 View Post
    It's official, I just put $500 down on a 5door Premium Darg Gray 2011 WRX. It is scheduled to be there 9/21, not sure if Hurricane Earl screwed that up at all...hopefully not. Thanks again SD for the advice my buddy also gave me the ...no... and wouldn't even go look at it with me.

I'll post pics when she gets in.
    Not a very good friend if he attempted to sell you a very modified car at an inflated price and was angry when you declined...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

IMHO, WRX/STI's are horrible cars to buy used, I would bet that 80% of them have been beat. I bought mine new and even though I took the new car "beating", at least I know where it's been and that it has been maintained. Congrats on your new Subie!!!!!
    Last edited by HampsterW; 09-03-2010 at 10:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.