Need a couple opinions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need a couple opinions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm in the market for a new ride, and I stumbled on an all stock 08 WRX. I have heard ...

Need a couple opinions

I'm in the market for a new ride, and I stumbled on an all stock 08 WRX. I have heard that potenially that the WRX can produce more power than the STi's but didnt know for sure. I use to rock a SVT Focus and I loved the little thing but time moves on. What I wanna know is how much potenial power I can get out of simple bolt ons and how much if I pulled the engine and did a full build.

Thanks

Seth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You'll have to do some reading honestly. If you are only in it for the numbers, it probably isn't the car for you.

Lot of differences between the wrx and STi... Can't just tack on 30 ponies - that 7k price difference is a big deal.

You'll have to tune these cars to get any real power increase out of them. Adding an intake and exhaust will make your car run like the fat kid in gym class who was forced to do the mile once a year. Rough, sluggish, and very prone to failure. If you do it right and read, however, I'm sure you'll love the car. Everybody that takes their time really enjoys these cars and they are a great bang for your buck performance wise.

In the end I'd be more concerned about that 5spd instead of the motor. Just my $.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

i agree. do some reading before hand. plus the 08 is less power than 09/10 wrx. it took me 4 years until i bought my first one

Looks like I have some reading up to do then. Thanks guys

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Lot of differences between the wrx and STi... Can't just tack on 30 ponies - that 7k price difference is a big deal.
    65, not 30. But the point is definitely true.

If you do decide to go '09 - beware the factory defect that causes rod bearing failure on cars with July, Aug and Sept. '08 build dates. HUNDREDS of failures. Mileage is no guarantee if won't fail (mine failed at 24,600 miles). The ONLY way to know is 1) buy one that has already had the failure and engine replaced under warranty; or 2) make the owner show you their oil and filter analysis since new. If they haven't done the analysis then they have NO WAY of knowing whether theirs will fail or not.

Just sold mine after engine replacement.
    '09 WRX Hatch, '08 Mini Clubman, '82 Volvo 242 w/5.0L Ford drivetrain

The power of the cars can be similar but the STi is completely diff. The older STi's are very stiff and a bit raw i'd say. The trans is a big difference. The WRX 5 speeds arent very strong and Subaru has not addressed this for some reason. Drive this 08 your looking at and then drive an older STi, very very very diff cars.

I agree to read up on them but for me it caame down to... do i want to drop the extra money up front or put a little in here and there? Also is it going to be for autocross? Or just for a fun drive around zippy car? I know my wrx is almost stock yet it still seems fast to me and beat my dad's 69 corvette at the drag strip by my house yet didn't beat my step mom's 07... so it depends on what you want to do an spend... i want to spend money here and there on parts i want to change on my car opposed to spendig more up front then still adding more after to make it what i want...
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.