I finally got myself a WRX! its a 2003 sedan
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I finally got myself a WRX! its a 2003 sedan within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It has 105k miles. All new belts including timing belt. New spark plugs and wires. 1 year old battery 10k ...

I finally got myself a WRX! its a 2003 sedan

It has 105k miles.
    All new belts including timing belt.
    New spark plugs and wires.
    1 year old battery
    10k miles on AGX adjustable shocks.
    5k miles on tires.
    Cat-less uppipe
    SPT Catback exhaust
    short shift kit
    came with the sweet thule rack and 2 bike attachments(perfect because I'm a hardcore mountain biker)
    viper alarm system w/ remote clutchless start(idk if this is the correct term, but I don't need to press the clutch to start the car in our out of it)
    new uninstalled alpine speaker set

I paid $7286 for this car with the only one fault thus far. The cruise doesn't work. Also, the check engine light came on during the 45 minute drive out of phoenix on the freeway. It was a catalytic converter issue code. The tech said it could be a bad o2 sensor(the seller said he had just replaced the front o2 sensor prior to selling it to me). He said it could have a vacuum leak? He also said it could be a bad cat.

Is it the mods causing the check engine light to trip? Or could there be an actual issue? I didn't count this as a problem as the seller was sincere when he told me the car had no problems, so he is going to cover whatever is causing the check engine light to illuminate.

Sooooooooo, did I do good on this buy? I love the car either way, but input is always nice. In excellent condition, the car books for around $9,200, so I like to think $2,000 off that seems like a good deal, especially with all the extra goodies. Hopefully I'm right!

Finally, what should I look at getting done to the car soon? Anything I need to be watching that could be breaking or going bad soon?

Pics attached.

P.S. Glad to be a part of clubwrx!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0727001652.jpg   0727001652a.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome... nice bugeye... get the cel code pulled and post it and we can tell you what it is... the cruise control disables itself when the cel light comes on. Car looks pretty clean and you got it for a good price (as long as there is nothing majorly wrong with it)...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Great looking car! Let us know what you find out about the CEL

I wasn't able to get to autozone to get the CEL checked again today(and I already forgot the actual code), but thanks for the responses thus far!

Also, does Subaru recommend using Shell or Chevron gas with the additives? I suppose that 91 octane is the correct gas to be using, too?

Congrats on the car. 91 is the minimum you want to run, any less can potentially have catastrophic consequences. I'm tuned for 91, but my car responds well to 92 and 94. I run 92 for the most part. Any gas from a quality station will be fine for your car, and you may find that your car is happier on a certain brand.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I read my manual and it says to run 91 octane(premium) or better, but I figured it was going to be that. It also said it would be okay to run down to 87 octane shortly if 91 wasn't available or whatever the situation may be that you can't get 91 at a given time.

I got the CEL code off of cobbtuning.com actually.
    I found codes on the AccessPORT section, and it had the code listed at the end in the defeated section. What does this mean exactly? That by going stage 2 these codes will be eliminated?

Anyway, the code is:

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

It happened after driving for about 45 minutes on the freeway going a steady 65mph. When I got closer to home, I did get up close to redline a few times if that helps determine what's going on.

Since I got it reset, the CEL hasn't came back on after only city driving with short periods of 55mph on the highway. I've probably driven around 40 miles if that since reset.

Also, I saw another post that said they had just bought a WRX and had $1500 to spend on modifications.

I'm in a similar situation and would like to know what I should do with my 1st $1500 to the car.

Again, my mods when bought are:

AGX adjustable shocks
    Cat-less up-pipe
    SPT Cat-back Exhaust
    Short Shift Kit

I checked the factory maintenance schedule and everything suggested at 105k has already been done to the car. I will be taking it in on Saturday for a full inspection. Assuming I don't need any costly repairs, what should I begin putting money into? A down-pipe? or would there be better upgrades? I would like to shoot for around 300hp to the wheels eventually.

With 105k miles, should I look into getting a new engine altogether? I saw a new member on here that said he just bought a car with 110k or so miles. I can't remember exactly how much, but the miles on my car are comparable. The only difference was his engine had only 27k, so obviously the engine had been swapped. I suppose a visit to the dealership could answer all of these questions?

Thanks for your time and input!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.